Immelmann Troubles

dbunger

Doing the Maple Flag Aerobatics mission, 7000',260 knots, hard deck 5000'. Pitch down 15 degrees try to hit 330 or so knots, I either run out of time or don't get enough speed with out going below the hard deck. Any ideas?

Thx

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA 3080 FTW, Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (4x16GB), CORSAIR Hydro Series H105, EVGA 750 Gold PS, Oculus Rift, TM F-16, A-10C HOTAS.

Immelman:

+-240 kts. start at at least 7000 gently pull back. Make sure you turn airplane up just before you reach horizontal again.

Split S:

>10.000 ft

240 IAS

Loop:

>7000 ft

> 270 IAS

Barrel Roll:

>220 IAS

Cloverleaf:

Most important is to note your hdg before you start to make sure you end up 270 degrees to east. (in case of right turn)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PC Specs: i5 8600K | GTX 1080 Ti | 16 GB DDR4 | 4x SSD | Samsung Odyssey VR

Peripherals: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS | 4x Bassshakers

Modules: A-4E | A-10C | F-14B | F-15C | Ka-50 | Su-25A | Su-27 | Su-33 | F/A-18C | P-51D | Mi-8MTV2

For any aerobatic maneuver in the a10 that requieres a huge pull-up or altitude gain start them at 325 knots. Yes u might need to go nose down to gain that speed but definetely do it above 300.

This applies to: immelman, loop, chandelle, cuban 8, lazy 8... bla bla

I was just pulling back on the stick to hard, thx.

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA 3080 FTW, Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (4x16GB), CORSAIR Hydro Series H105, EVGA 750 Gold PS, Oculus Rift, TM F-16, A-10C HOTAS.

• 4 years later...

I feel like I must be missing something as well. I too, tried to get 'fast enough' so that I could pull off this maneuver. I kept trying for 300 IAS, but I also hit that 'out of time' fail. So I've been starting from 270 ( about as fast as I can get within the time frame required to start the maneuver). I can pull it off, but every single time, I'm nearly stalling when I come out on top... I have just about no control authority what so ever, and I have to dive a bit (maybe 5-10 degrees) to pick back up enough speed. It's really to the point that I don't see how anyone would choose this maneuver in a real life situation... Especially once you add on some weight of stores. It brings me back to wondering if the DCS A-10 is under powered compared to the real plane? Maybe someone could give me thoughts and advice? Thanks.

@GGTharos I'm not sure I understand what you mean... I am pulling to hard and have too high an AoA? Not that I disagree of course, but that seems almost counter-intuitive? If I take it slower, I could see how I'd maybe lose less energy directly from the high AoA/G, but then won't I be 'vertical' for a longer period of time, so loosing more energy/speed in the long run anyway?

@GGTharos I'm not sure I understand what you mean... I am pulling to hard and have too high an AoA? Not that I disagree of course, but that seems almost counter-intuitive? If I take it slower, I could see how I'd maybe lose less energy directly from the high AoA/G, but then won't I be 'vertical' for a longer period of time, so loosing more energy/speed in the long run anyway?

Ok, so, post a video (to observe technique - made sure g and aoa meters are visible) and make sure that the controls graph is visible also (rctrl-enter I think) along with the gross weight of the aircraft (fuel and weapon load). These maneuvers are designed for an aircraft of a certain GW, so it's possible that it's not your technique.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Doing the Maple Flag Aerobatics mission, 7000',260 knots, hard deck 5000'. Pitch down 15 degrees try to hit 330 or so knots, I either run out of time or don't get enough speed with out going below the hard deck. Any ideas?

Thx

Don't know this aircraft well but it seems you can just about pull it off at around 245 knots. With that starting speed, you'll sink a little at the top but can still maintain control. This example is far from perfect but, to my eye, a 330 knot requirement is overkill:

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.