Looking up - lua limitation

miaig

Hi,

I'm using TrackIr and whenever I am looking left or right the maximum head movement is 180 degrees, which is fine. When looking up however, the movement is limited to 90 degrees. I presume this is done in order to be realistic, but I find it annoying because when I get my lift vector on somebody and I look up, the moment they pass my wingline I end up losing them because of this limitation.

Does anybody know where in the lua files can I change this to make it 180 degrees?

You should increase the Y axis movement outside in trackir software.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

You should increase the Y axis movement outside in trackir software.

It's not a limitation of TrackIR, it's each specific airplane that does that (Huey doesn't have that for example). It is controlled from somewhere in Views.lua, under ViewSettings, Cockpit.

hey sorry for the late reply...yes its possible to adjust that in a lua.file....

iirc, for the P-51 it should be the server.lua file.

its best if you copy the whole folder dcs world/config/views to your "username"/saved games/dcs world/config folder.

then open the server.lua file and change the following CameraAngleRestriction line under the P51 section to something like this:

CameraAngleRestriction = {false,180.000000,1.000000},

...there is much more you can adjust like shouldersize or default,min&max zoom levels.

if you want to adjust such things for other planes, then you most likely will have to change the views.lua file for the relevant aircraft...these files are spread out through your install directory and you will have to search for them.some are saved under CoreMods, some are under Mods....

ive made my adjustments for the P51 a long time ago, and my post may not be 100% correct regarding the line in the server.lua file.but if you just test it and fiddle around with it, you should find out soon whether i was correct or not.hope that helps

If you remove that line your head will swirl...

The line you need to edit is:

CameraAngleLimits = {180,-90.000000,90.000000},

You can change it to

CameraAngleLimits = {200,-110.000000,110.000000},

This way you can turn your head to 200° to each side, and 110° up or down but no unrealistic 360°.

Another down side of that 360° thing is that because you end up using around 200° anyway 160° from that axis are lost. That means more than one third of you axis sensitivity is lost and your movements are not as fine as they could be.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 2 years later...

There's not been any activity on this issue for a while now, yet I'm having the same problem. When I look up further than approximately 60 degrees the camera movement breaks and I end up looking back on the horizontal axis.

I am using delan clip with FacetrackNoIr and I'm pretty sure that there's nothing wrong with any of them since they seem to register the movement just fine (as shown in Facetracknoir preview).

I have tried various settings in the server.lua file (user\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\Server.lua) but nothing seems to work. This is what I have ended up with:

ViewSettings["Su-25TM"] = {

Cockpit = {

[1] = {-- player slot 1

CockpitLocalPoint = {4.000000,1.000000,0.000000},

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,140.000000},

CameraAngleRestriction = {false,180.000000,1.000000},

CameraAngleLimits = {280.000000,-200.000000,200.000000},

EyePoint = {0.000000,0.000000,0.000000},

limits_6DOF = {x = {-0.200000,0.200000},y ={-0.200000,0.200000},z = {-0.200000,0.200000},roll = 60.000000},

I'm currently flying the Su-25T and I'm using the steam version of the game (if that makes any difference).

Has anyone been able to fix this? Any suggestions?

... When I look up further than approximately 60 degrees the camera movement breaks and I end up looking back on the horizontal axis. ...

Might be that I'm not reading it correctly but based on what you've wrote I would judge it's more of an issue with the head tracking device. If it would be the movement limit, the in-cockpit head would hit it and shake around it but wouldn't jump to a new position.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

There's not been any activity on this issue for a while now, yet I'm having the same problem. When I look up further than approximately 60 degrees the camera movement breaks and I end up looking back on the horizontal axis.

I am using delan clip with FacetrackNoIr and I'm pretty sure that there's nothing wrong with any of them since they seem to register the movement just fine (as shown in Facetracknoir preview).

I have tried various settings in the server.lua file (user\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\Server.lua) but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone been able to fix this? Any suggestions?

I have the same headtracking as you do, and it seems to me that you have not tuned the software curves ... 60 degrees is enough to block the view of the clip led's ... you have to adjust the curves so that less movement of your head gives you the in-game movement that you want.

I have this old video where you can see how i tuned my curves:

-CmDw7t8e4s

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you for your reply Rudel (EDIT: & firmek).

I have already adjusted the curves to the desired settings and the three led's are visible at all times. By 60 degrees I refer to the virtual head movement in DCS. In real life and with my current curve settings this is no more than 20 degrees of real head movement.

The little head monitor on the left side of FaceTrackNoIR that previews the head movement seems ok and smooth when looking up. The problem only occurs when I look up in DCS.

Edited by john4pap

about the look up limitation. i think the angle is limited (hardcoded) to 90 deg.

which means center of your screen goes up to 90 deg, which means that the (upper) edge of your screen should be 100 deg or so. well why does it not feel like it does??

here's the thing.. the look down angle is by default 9.5 deg (vAngle in snapviews.lua).

THAT restricts it to feel so less than straight up.

i have never understood the 9.5 deg look down angle. if sitting on normal office chair and desk and the monitor sits low(!) on the table, maybe your eyes are looking down 9.5 degs to the center of the screen. BUT how many of you are looking down your monitor in that steep angle?? that's why i corrected mine to 1.5 deg as i have my monitor pretty much level with my eyes, just a tad bit lower.

i think the look down angle 9.5 is a relic from time when monitors were small and had no height adjustement.

if you go about it, you will have to lower the pilots head a bit (y_trans in snapviews.lua) or you might not see the sights. basically you raise the pilots chin up and shorten the spine a bit. voila!

Edited by voodooman
typo: snipe->spine :D

There are two issues I know of with using head-tracking devices.

1. the game constraints, which have already been addressed. In other words, coded limits to how far the virtual pilot in the virtual cockpit can turn his virtual head.

2. exceeding the physical limits of the tracking device. For example, TrackIR Pro has a unit to clip onto your headset. This unit has 3 IR LED's which the TrackIR camara picks up. If you turn or tilt your head so far that the LED's cannot be 'seen' correctly be the camera, TIR goes a bit crazy.

While I was using TIR, I found it very difficult to setup TIR to allow my virtual view to look at the cockpit floor (where in the P-51 the fuel gauges are), as well as straight up. This had greatly do do with the possibilities of placing the TIR camera.

General it is expected to clip it to the top of your monitor. But I found that often when tilting my head down to look at the fuel gauges, I would be exceeding the range of the TIR camera to properly read the LED's.

The solution to this issue, is to reduce the degree of actual motion you have to use with your head (with headset with the TIR LED clipon) to reach the full extent of virtual head motion you wish to achieve.

This means that if you want a fairly quiet center view in game (small real-head motions cause only small virtual-head motions), you have to setup curves to accelerate virtual-head motion toward the extreme ends of each direction of head-motion, which means that the further you turn your real-head, the faster the virtual-head will start to move, which can be off-putting.

Each user will have to play around with the curves to find the setting they find best for themselves... or move on to VR, which comes with its own set of issues :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

In my case it is no.1 only: game constraint (DCS).

I know this for sure because my common routine before launching DCS is that I test my TIR5 profile is the correct one and working properly. In the TIR5 app that shows the details of the profile on the left side and a graphical 3d representation of the real and virtual head on the right side I can see that I am always able to look up more then 90 degrees in the vertical.

However once I am inside a plane in DCS I can't glance upwards the same as in the TIR5 profile.

Anybody experience the same?

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

snapviews.lua:

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 82.408798,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -1.455000, -- this is 9.5 by default. lower that 9.5 and you see further up

x_trans = 0.098000,

y_trans = 0.055450,

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

with that low as 1.455 you should restrict the track ir y saturation to 88

Edited by voodooman
removed obsolete information.
  • Like 1

Many thanks Voodooman! I tried your recipe and I confirm that I was able to look up 90 deg at the centre of my screen. It's certainly much better than it was in terms of looking up, yet I did find it a little awkward finding the right position for looking forward. When I find the time I will also synchronize the DCS's head up limits with FacetrackNoIR so as to get rid of this annoying camera-jump effect.

I also recently bumped into some other DCS thread in which the same issue is discussed (for some reason I can't find it anymore) and where people report that the looking up behaviour is much better in DCS 2.0. So I'm just looking forward to the next official update :D

If you go back far enough, at one time there was little to no restriction to how far you could turn your head in the P-51. If your TIR was configured for it, you could practically turn your head 360° along the horizon.

Then about a year ago, ED restricted this to about 150° in either direction. Enough at any rate, that I could not see to directly behind me in the P-51, even at the edge of my monitor.

I remember then that I argued for this restriction to be lessened with the argument and example of driving a car, that you most certainly can look to directly behind your vehicle, that anything else would make backing into a parking spot impossible.

Since then, and since I've been flying with an Oculus CV1, I've noted that flying with an extended stick and trying to look over my shoulder to an attacking enemy is anything be easy. Then considering that I'm not strapped into my seat at home, so I have much more freedom of movement, I started thinking, maybe there should be some restrictions. (Being 57, out of shape, and over weight, I already have some built in restrictions :huh:).

I think I remember reading somewhere that some pilots, specifically because of this situation, had their crew chiefs leave their shoulder straps loose, so that they could turn their upper torsos to look over their shoulders, but this may have been a rare situation.

So, is this editing of the constraints a kind of cheating, or at what point would it be cheating?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I believe that a restriction in pilot view is good and indeed realistic, yet sitting on my chair I can look straight up (90 degrees) without moving my body. Also, arguably in a real cockpit you would be able to look much further than 90 degrees with your peripheral vision which naturally cannot be simulated on a pc monitor (unless you have a VR setup which I don't :cry:) Peripheral vision is not very detailed, yet you can - for instance - keep on tracking an enemy fighter during dogfights, although you may not be able to see it clearly.

I am not sure on how the developers could simulate these restrictions, yet I feel they're quite awkward at moment - especially the camera jumping which totally disorientates me during dogfights.

The thing with VR is, that as long as your eyes are looking straight ahead, everything is good. If you turn your eyes to the left or right, the view gets poorer, and the limits of your field-of-view do not change.

In the real world, without having to turn my upper torso, I can turn my head, and then my eyes to get a fairly good view of what is behind me.

In VR when I do the same, turning my eyes will not increase my field-of-view in that direction, because it is limited to the direction my head is facing. Thus to look directly behind, I have to actually turn my upper torso, which I can, because I'm not strapped into my gaming seat, thank god :D

BTW if while looking up and over the top of your head, the image on your monitor suddenly flips, it might be because you are moving the LED's outside what the TIR camera can read. Try it out in the TIR software profile setup. There is a setting to see a kind of globe, with your head in the middle. It will show you how far you can turn your head in all directions before you run into trouble.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

snapviews.lua:

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 82.408798,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -1.455000, -- this is 9.5 by default. lower that 9.5 and you see further up

x_trans = 0.098000,

y_trans = 0.055450,

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

with that low as 1.455 you should restrict the track ir y saturation to 88

if you dont restrict the y saturation the center of screen will go further than 90 deg up. but it also messes up the center when you return your head to look straight ahead again (at least for me).

i think it is very important to not let the center exeed the lift vector as you want to know exactly when the bandit has gone past it (the lift vector).

it's when you have to start thinking of something else than just pulling towards the enemy, you are losing the fight (in luftberry).

Edited by voodooman
removed obsolete information