Trim unresponsive when making stick corrections?

Nealius

Wondering if I'm the only one experiencing unresponsive pitch trim. For example, I do some aerial refueling with the wings in BOMB mode, which requires quite a bit of pitch up trim. No problems there. Disconnect, put my wings back into AUTO, massive lift moment. I have to shove my stick to its maximum forward deflection to keep level, all the while I'm mashing the pitch trim like a madman. The trim won't start working until I ease off the stick, so by the time I've trimmed it out I've gained 500+ feet in altitude.

Anyone else experiencing similar?

Wondering if I'm the only one experiencing unresponsive pitch trim. For example, I do some aerial refueling with the wings in BOMB mode, which requires quite a bit of pitch up trim. No problems there. Disconnect, put my wings back into AUTO, massive lift moment. I have to shove my stick to its maximum forward deflection to keep level, all the while I'm mashing the pitch trim like a madman. The trim won't start working until I ease off the stick, so by the time I've trimmed it out I've gained 500+ feet in altitude.

Anyone else experiencing similar?

I was experiencing this on Sunday. Wings out, pulled them back manually and was trimming nose up while pulling the stick back. It would not trim until I let go of the stick pull.

Note: it does not happen all the time. It is random. Will see if I can reproduce it.

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Yes, it's happened to me too, I ballooned about 400 feet. I assumed it was something I was doing wrong...

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

They put notes in the big update to 2.5.5 that they added a yaw moment to the jet with the fuel probe extended.

Edit 2: Added slight yaw moment due to fuel probe deployment

Edit 3: The link that came from: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3937948&postcount=59

Edited by lbellouny
1, correct use to yaw. 2, add line from update notes. 3, add link to update notes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Retired CO of the vCSG-3's VF-103 Jolly Rogers

I forgot to mention that this is also very noticeable on a bolter, since you have a lot of pitch up trim. Go off the angled deck, nose shoots up, shove the stick into the HSD, mash the trim button, nothing happens until you let off the stick and bust 600ft.

The probe aerodynamics is a different discussion, but I honestly haven't noticed anything about it other than the slip indicator moving. I might be subconsciously counteracting the yaw/roll without realizing it.

Edited by Nealius

The trim speed and sensitivity was recently changed afaik to allow for smaller more precise trim movements. If you want large trim movements I believe it gets faster when you hold it down for a pre-determined period of time.

But as far as being able to move the trim while manipulating the stick it is working, at least for me. I held full aft stick, as well as forward stick and everything in between while holding the trim and watched the stabs move on the gauge and outside with the jet responding.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Matt "IceFire" Schuette

Commander In Chief United States Atlantic Command

Virtual Carrier Air Wing Eleven

Have also had no trouble trimming with stick input applied. Maybe check ap switch is off and that it isnt on with just alt and hdg hold switched off. If its on you cant trim properly. As for the fueling probe drag I noticed it right after it was introduced and while I've been able to fuel pretty well just ignoring it, I typically just apply a little rudder trim to get the slip indicator a little closer to center and have no problems at all. Just ran the included night mission where you take off at night, in a thunderstorm and you amd your wingman have to refuel at 2k feet before heading off on a long low alt engress for interception and it was great. :)

Hey, I noticed this too a few different times, twice it even forced me to eject when I lost control and couldn't keep the nose down for a recovery. Last night I had it happen and was able to get control of my trim back. I'm wondering if I was accidentally pushing my 8 way onto the wrong "gate" this whole time?

I noticed I would push slightly right when I pushed up on the hat. I have to make myself push up and only up. Will investigate further, but unfortunately I am moving so I won't have results for a week. Just thought I would post my experience with the nose up / loss of trim authority issue before I packed my rig up!!

~Rob

It might actually be as stated previously. I've been flying it the last few days and now that I am cognizant of the potential user error trim issue I have made sure to push the correct way in the hat. Haven't had a trim issue since recognizing that as most likely my problem.

now if she would just stop CTD'ing when I use PLM I'd be a happy camper!!

Ok boy and girls. Here is the issue, we are not pressing straight down on the trim hat, but are instead pulling it at an angle. I was able to remedy this issue by also mapping trim down and up to the Down Right, Down Left, Up Right and Up Left buttons on the 8 way trim hat.

I am no longer running into this "unresponsive trim" issue.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Ok boy and girls. Here is the issue, we are not pressing straight down on the trim hat, but are instead pulling it at an angle. I was able to remedy this issue by also mapping trim down and up to the Down Right, Down Left, Up Right and Up Left buttons on the 8 way trim hat.

I am no longer running into this "unresponsive trim" issue.

I might just have to give that a shot SE, as yesterday I was in a bolter fly-away (by choice of course....trap training!) and had full fwd stick and trying madly to trim nose-down and nothing happening...as I shoot skyward with my landing trim set.

But prob due to my stick angle offset I have and the angle I am hitting the hat switch at.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I might just have to give that a shot SE, as yesterday I was in a bolter fly-away (by choice of course....trap training!) and had full fwd stick and trying madly to trim nose-down and nothing happening...as I shoot skyward with my landing trim set.

But prob due to my stick angle offset I have and the angle I am hitting the hat switch at.

That, and make sure you are deploying your speed brake and DLC since hitting mil brings them all in and will cause you to climb a ton.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

That, and make sure you are deploying your speed brake and DLC since hitting mil brings them all in and will cause you to climb a ton.

Yes I am aware - thanks. I actually do touch & gos on the carrier and maintain complete dirty state the entire time. Gentle on the throttle during the 'Go' part and you won't pull in the SB and DLC. I don't need to touch the trim at all for the entire circuit as I am already on-speed. Am after approach and landing practice - not trimming practice.

Just this time I was faffing around with other things and was climbing out with a lot of stick FWD and noticed it wasn't trimming down.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I am aware - thanks. I actually do touch & gos on the carrier and maintain complete dirty state the entire time. Gentle on the throttle during the 'Go' part and you won't pull in the SB and DLC. I don't need to touch the trim at all for the entire circuit as I am already on-speed. Am after approach and landing practice - not trimming practice.

Just this time I was faffing around with other things and was climbing out with a lot of stick FWD and noticed it wasn't trimming down.

Roger :thumbup:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Please be so kind and see if the recent trim changes improved it for you. What happens is that the trim press isn't recognized as a long hold sometimes, which makes you think you are holding it down, but the speed does not ramp in, instead you trimmed just one tick. This is probably more with some and less with other sticks, but I always double check that it recognized my hold and the speed ramps in. In the recent builds this sometimes required a second attempt, it should be much better now, unless ofc a stick has a twitchy button etc..

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/