[OLD BUG REPORTS] Cleaning and Organization of old posts

RAZBAM_ELMO

BFR is completely broken on this radar rework, it should be an emission wavelenght that give a better ranging on cold contacts and lesser on hot ones, but if you do a fast check you will find it the same ranging performances of HFR (with all the limitations about PIC)

Same story for the Horizontal Scan at low frequency.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a bug, had no place else that was logical to put this request.

I want to be able to keymap the manual frequency selectors, where you enter the frequency. Meaning where you enter a frequency that is not pre-programed in the radio.

Those rollers are REALLY hard to see and operate in VR. So a fix for that would be to keybind them. No more need to see them, just operate the manually mapped keys and bob's your uncle.

The cockpit is not easy to read and see in general in VR. A whole lot of just knowing what that blur blob does and clicking it.

For the record, I LOVE the Mirrage 2000C, and enjoy the airframe in DCS.

Hope the frequency number selectors can be key mapable.

Cheers

Edited by Ducksen

Hi RAZBAM

Here are some pictures that shows how you can see through the fuselage damage in one side of the plain but there is no visible damage in the other,

Please make theme black like the others for the integrity of this nice module

[ATTACH]217644[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]217645[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

With the last patch, after weeks and weeks of waiting the radar still doesn't have bfr modeled, and still showing in certain condition a "false" contact on the bottom, (lockable with RDO) instead of the real contact visualization. In most of conditions TDC is unable to lock.

And a new bug is introduced on PCA, switching between missiles using the PCA-Select from MAG condition now sometimes you lose the RDO page on 530s, and you have to turn off and on again the master arm to visualize the correct PCA page.

RDO has never worked as intended.

It isn't supposed to lock targets.

Yes, CNM Neutral (PSA Select) has a bug: it turns into memory mode like AG. The weapon is still selected on PCA but HUD is in MAV mode. So you need to click PCA again.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

If RDO shouldn't (and we are lucky it does) , and TDC fails in most of locking (obviously excluding PSIC cases, that are legit failed radar attempts) , i honestly consider this radar unoperable.

When i'm sorting targets, and with "sorting" i mean, scanning and locking and unlocking targets to inspect their aspect and stuff, after some lock and unlock i'm unable to see again targets, even if i am sure i'm on the correct radar elevation, and they didn't changed attitude (for example i see the target visually and i have pitch references) instead of them i see that strange false target "0.0" on the bottom.

That's so frustrating.

The real RDI radar doesn't lock BFR contact.

I know it's weird, I don't know why it was wadesigned like that, but this is what it is.

When you perform target sorting, be sure to reset your altitude between each one, because the radar will keep the elevation of the last contact.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

I know it doesn't lock, i just saying i tested BFR range on a cold target with my wing. There is no difference in terms of distance of spotting a cold contact, using BFR or not. This is what simply let me think that BFR is not working properly (like it isn't emitting low frequencies) Do tests by yourself and see. Same test can be done on an hot plane, it should appear more far using HFR.

I know very well where i'm pointing my radar elevation, i fly mirage everyday i do Air to Air since years. Just use the mirage in real engagements situations, against multiple targets, play with the radar, you will find those random disappearings and those 0.0 on the bottom, as many of radar contacts still impossible to lock using normal TDC.

I know it doesn't lock, i just saying i tested BFR range on a cold target with my wing. There is no difference in terms of distance of spotting a cold contact, using BFR or not. This is what simply let me think that BFR is not working properly (like it isn't emitting low frequencies) Do tests by yourself and see. Same test can be done on an hot plane, it should appear more far using HFR.

I know very well where i'm pointing my radar elevation, i fly mirage everyday i do Air to Air since years. Just use the mirage in real engagements situations, against multiple targets, play with the radar, you will find those random disappearings and those 0.0 on the bottom, as many of radar contacts still impossible to lock using normal TDC.

I agree that range on cold contacts is too low, both in HFR and BFR :(

Mirage fanatic !

Since ever, the TWS lock is tracking a target as good as a STT lock.

Altough the TWS does not trigger a CL warning.

I brought this up first time two months ago, here is the discussion.

To explain it again:

In STT, the radar is all the time looking at the target.

Thats why, you get a real time, absolute smooth lock of the target on the HUD, and also on the radar screen.

We all know that, because that is the mode where you fire Fox 1 missiles.

In TWS, or LTWS, or SAM mode, a target is tracked, but the radar still sweeps up and down, and to the left and right as it does in RWS.

(not sure, but I guess the M2K radar then only sweeps left to right, so it goes to a 1bar scan)

So you do not get a real time designation of the target on the HUD and the radar screen.

The designation only gets updated when the radar sweeps over the target. So the track on the HUD and also the radar screen will be very stuttering and, mostly never be on spot.

There may be different mode of TWS, where the movement of the tracked target is also calculated and predicted, but if the target is manouvering, it must always be off.

I made a video for better understanding:

tHWc4og0DmI

I know these are hard words, but I would already consider that behavior cheating. Especially in a PvP enviroment. As DCS is a simulation, please aknowledge that bug and fix as soon as possible. Thanks.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

So the track on the HUD and also the radar screen will be very stuttering and, mostly never be on spot.

No it won't, AFAIK most TWS radars will interpolate the contacts position between sweeps as the track file contains - position in 3d space, speed, direction of travel and altitude of the target.

Although it smooths out the movement of the HUD target box, etc. the main reason such interpolation is done is so the radar 'knows' where to scan in 3D space on it's next sweep and which contacts belong with which track file.

There may be different mode of TWS, where the movement of the tracked target is also calculated and predicted, but if the target is manouvering, it must always be off.

You are correct, AFAIK most/all DCS modules do not yet model radar track files.

A real life technique is to fly in a smooth predictable way so an enemy's TWS radar has a good "solution" and then suddenly change your altitude and direction so the TWS radar looks in the wrong place on it's next sweep.

I don't know how difficult it is to implement the behaviour you ask for but it has yet to be done by ED themselves.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I made a video for better understanding:

DCS F-16C

AFAIK the DCS F-16C TWS behaviour you say is correct, is in fact incorrect.

• For a non-maneuvering target the F-16C HUD target box motion should be smooth.

• A hard maneuvering target that changes it's vector so it's not where TWS predicted, breaks the soft lock (the old 'track' file times out) and the pilot must make a new soft lock - TWS has no way of knowing if the 'new' contact is from the previous track or another enemy/friendly.

IRL you would be unlikely to use TWS during BFM due to it's low update rate and the ease of breaking it's 'soft lock', unless attacking an unaware bandit.

IMHO you should use IRL HUD tapes to argue for changes.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

If you find any HUD tapes of a TWS'ed contact of a M2K, feel free to share with us.

Here is a F-16 TWS AIM-120 shot, unfortunately the HUD footage is pretty bad but you can see the Radar screen contacts have 'jitter' as the predicted position is updated,

... it doesn't do the large jumps seen in DCS's EA Hornet and Viper.

In part this is because ED's WIP HUD TWS target box is tied to the cockpit/aircraft datum, rather than a position/azimuth in 3D space.

The same issue applies to the Hornet's RWR and HARM sensor.

Hornet Bug Report: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3895048#post3895048

Most HUD tapes from the M2K, F-16, etc. are BFM, by which point the pilots have switched to STT or Dog Fight mode.

CNN description of the F-16 AIM-120 shot:

Edited by Ramsay

In part this is because ED's WIP HUD TWS target box is tied to the cockpit/aircraft datum, rather than a position/azimuth in 3D space.

[/Quote]

I read that discussion already, understood it and hope they will fix it.

Most HUD tapes from the M2K, F-16, etc. are BFM, by which point the pilots have switched to STT or Dog Fight mode.

[/Quote]

Yeah HUD tapes with a good quality are hard to find, especially if you are searching for something special.

Luckily Elwood has replied on another thread that this issue will be adressed as Nr. 14 on his list. Thats good to hear that he is aware of it. Lets hope that this list also includes IFF and we will be seeing results soon.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

The V/UHF radio has a bug when switching from Manual to Preset, and back again. The actual frequency does not change until you rotate the Preset Channel Select Knob at least once.

To reproduce:

- Cold start. V/UHF RX Mode selector to PAL after power on. Starting with default settings: V/UHF TX Mode Selector (the M/P/G switch) is on Preset (P)

1) Move V/UHF TX Mode Selector to Manual (M)

2) See that the frequency on the V/UHF repeater incorrectly shows the old Preset Frequency.

3) Rotate the V/UHF Preset Channel Select Knob (This should do nothing in Manual Mode)

4) See that the frequency on the V/UHF repeater now shows correctly the Manual Frequency.

Now let's reproduce the bug the other way around!

5) Move the V/UHF TX Mode Selector to Preset (P)

6) See that the frequency on the V/UHF repeater incorrectly shows the old Manual frequency.

7) Rotate the V/UHF Preset Channel Select Knob

8) See that the frequency on the V/UHF repeater now shows correctly the Preset Frequency

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz // Nvidia GTX 1080Ti // 32 GB DDR4 RAM // 1 TB SSD

+1

And if you "PCA select" then select a store with AG weapon after selecting an Air to Air mode, you will end with RDO and AA Stuff in PCA page with AG weapon selected, and when you use hotas function to make CCIP appear, so you will have Vertical Scan, Bore and stuff like that with bombs selected. Same happens in CAS (AG-Gun).

The workaround is selecting on PCA a button on the first row, like RDO, it will make it turn on the correct page, you have to deselect TAS or RS, then select it again. After this you can have your CCIP/CCRP again.

Mirage was i nice module, RAZBAM you are ruining it. I hope it will be a better simulation of it when this hell will end (does it will?).

Just a little suggestion: try things before releasing them.

Edited by falconzx