Landing out... without crashing...

Anatoli-Kagari9

Having seen both videos bellow, by a well known DCS user - he's videos are really interesting / good ! - I wonder how he manages to land without crashing, even the recently released I-16 still in "Early Access" ?

Might the settings of "grass" in the Graphics section of DCS have anything to do with it ???

I usually have it set very low or nill in order to not impact my old rig performance, but now I wonder if it can have a side effect reagarding "surface modeling" ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Why would you think it should crash? He lands perfectly and landing on the grass in nothing uncommon, props specifically.

Nothing to do with grass setting in Options.

To land an aircraft you need a strip of a solid, relatively flat surface, does not have to be concrete or asphalt. Many modern aircraft are also capable of landing and taking off using austere landing zones.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

What is required for safe landing a WW2 fighter is to gently wait the stall before touching ground, with a angle of attack that levels the 3 gears, so when touching ground the 3 gears touch at same time while stalling so no bounce and no stress on gears if ground not concrete.

Here an usaf training video - landing 3 points attitude at 10min52 :

Thank you guys, but I do know about landing techniques overall :-) specially softfield, from RL...

Problem is the way ground physics appears to be modeled in DCS World, and I somehow got the idea it is customized for each module ( ? )

I honestly tried landing to the side of one of the rws with the I-16 and it looked like a perfectly acceptable grass surface, but I crashed "remarkably" :-)

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Oups sorry missunderstood.

I personnally recently took good training at landing my P-51D anywhere in the "pampa" because of cooling system "issues" causing prop ceasing, so I thought it was a "procedure" issue. But maybe I-16 is pecular regarding grass landing I Don't know.

I honestly tried landing to the side of one of the rws with the I-16 and it looked like a perfectly acceptable grass surface, but I crashed "remarkably" :-)

That sounds more like a bug of the I-16 to me; I can land the Yak-52 on grass surfaces with no problem.

The ground certainly is not modelled specifically for each module. The ground is the ground. How the aircraft reacts to the ground, though, is pretty much up to the individual module. There has been, for example, a rather lengthy debate on rolling drag in the Harrier.