Just getting into DCS - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
johnic

Default Just getting into DCS

I’m in the middle of building a pc for DCS and I’m new to sim flying. I do plan on flying with VR headset as well.

My PC build:
I7 8700 CPU
ASUS ROG HERO Mother Board
32 Gb Memory - G. Skill 3200
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080ti
Samsung Sata 1Tb SSD
Seagate 2 TB 3.5 inch HD
CORAIR AIO Liquid CPU cooler
EVGA 850 Watt power supply

I Plan on getting Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Wheel stand pro, pedals (not sure which brand)

Are there any other suggestions ? And are there any pitfalls to installing DCS that I should be cautious of? I’m nervous about getting DCS operating correctly after spending so much on this PC.
johnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
AureliusAugustus

Yes, a few suggestions that might help you:

Purchase either a Samsung 970 Pro or EVO 1 TB Nvme drive to put DCS on. I compared performance in conjunction with a regular Samsung 850 SSD and the performance is nicer. Less stuttering and slightly higher FPS.

Get the Hero Wi-Fi AC version of that ROG board, ...the firmware is better. Less glitches.

In order of ascending quality and precision (based upon what I have owned previously), I would rate pedals as Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals -> CH Pro Pedals -> MFG Crosswind Pedals -> VKB T-Rudder MK IV (no toe breaks but very good precision) -> Slaw Pedals

If you primarily want to fly jets in DCS, the TM Warthog is fine but the stick cannot go to the corners without modding or a custom base (ie... you cannot apply full left roll and full pitch simultaneously) .... this means you cannot perform all needed ACM in a tight fight with a master level online flier. If you want to fly both jets and WW2, then I recommend the CH Fighterstick or TM T-16000m. I used the CH Fighterstick for years until I finally got a VKB Gunfighter.

The HTC Vive Pro is better than the Oculus Rift and has less "screen door" effect but it is also $1100. Tough call.

You will want to add a Track IR Pro 5 to your order as well. Great to have when you tire of the VR headset.

Hope this helps

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW

Last edited by AureliusAugustus; 10-01-2018 at 07:51 AM.
AureliusAugustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
johnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post
Yes, a few suggestions that might help you:

Purchase either a Samsung 970 Pro or EVO 1 TB Nvme drive to put DCS on. I compared performance in conjunction with a regular Samsung 850 SSD and the performance is nicer. Less stuttering and slightly higher FPS.

Get the Hero Wi-Fi AC version of that ROG board, ...the firmware is better. Less glitches.

In order of ascending quality and precision (based upon what I have owned previously), I would rate pedals as Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals -> CH Pro Pedals -> MFG Crosswind Pedals -> VKB T-Rudder MK IV (no toe breaks but very good precision) -> Slaw Pedals

If you primarily want to fly jets in DCS, the TM Warthog is fine but the stick cannot go to the corners without modding or a custom base (ie... you cannot apply full left roll and full pitch simultaneously) .... this means you cannot perform all needed ACM in a tight fight with a master level online flier. If you want to fly both jets and WW2, then I recommend the CH Fighterstick or TM T-16000m. I used the CH Fighterstick for years until I finally got a VKB Gunfighter.

The HTC Vive Pro is better than the Oculus Rift and has less "screen door" effect but it is also $1100. Tough call.

You will want to add a Track IR Pro 5 to your order as well. Great to have when you tire of the VR headset.

Hope this helps
Awesome Info...!
This is the feedback I’m looking for.
I’m pretty tech savvy but is DCS tricky to install and get tuned correctly ?
I’m in the middle of purchasing all the parts to build the PC...man the GTX 1080 ti are still $$$
Old 10-01-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
FlankerMan

If you mean just downloading and installing the game, it's pretty easy. I'm not sure about equipment, I just use a lower-end laptop and a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. I've been playing for almost a year now, but I've never used TrackIR. I don't even have a VR headset, in fact.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
AureliusAugustus

I agree with Flanker, no, DCS is a straight forward install. With your 1080 Ti, you can up most of the in-game graphics settings to high and get everything close to maxed out

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Old 10-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #6
BlacleyCole

I’m might upgr to a i 9700 cpu also and get the 1080ti with the most vram get two ssds one for os and one for dcs

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better
BlacleyCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:32 AM   #7
johnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post
I agree with Flanker, no, DCS is a straight forward install. With your 1080 Ti, you can up most of the in-game graphics settings to high and get everything close to maxed out
Perfect. I cant wait to assemble all my PC components. 2 more weeks and ill have all the $ for it.
Still need to buy the Throttle, Stick, pedals, VR googles, and gaming chair with mounts.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:24 AM   #8
johnic

Just ordered “Slaw Viper RX” Pedals....stooked!
Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
3WA

I know everyone always thinks Thrustmaster Warthog instantly, but I'd bring your attention to two of it's competitor's, namely VKB and Virpil. You can google all the problems people have had with Thrustmaster over the years, and they don't seem to be easy to get in contact with. For a few more dollars ( Ok, a little more than that ), you might want to take a look at VKB / Virpil as well. There are some videos on YouTube comparing them to Thrustmaster.

VKB doesn't have a throttle out yet, but Virpil does.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/

https://virpil.com/en/

P.S. Nice pedals!

Last edited by 3WA; 10-03-2018 at 07:48 AM.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #10
AureliusAugustus

The only problem though 3WA is that for several items in the VKB line up, it is vaporware. And Virpil, to a slightly lesser degree does not often have items in stock. Both make great stuff, and I agree, better than the Warthog, but actually getting one that is in stock in North America is a real PITA.