New guy question about the payware modules - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-01-2018, 05:53 AM   #1
AureliusAugustus

Default New guy question about the payware modules

Hey guys, ... new flier here. I have completed the free P-51 and Su-25 missions in 2.5.3 and am ready to purchase some payware. Right now, I have the STEAM version of DCS installed. Is it okay to just buy the modules off of Steam and install them or is it better to have a separate install of DCS and then buy the STEAM incompatible versions and go in that direction. What are the positives and negatives of going either all the Steam route, or all the stand alone DCS route?

One thing is for sure, once I start buying modules, I do not want to have to pay twice for say, the F-18 Hornet because, say some features are missing in the Steam version for example, and then I have to purchase it again for the DCS stand alone route, if you catch my drift.

Thanks!

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW

Last edited by AureliusAugustus; 10-01-2018 at 05:56 AM.
AureliusAugustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
AureliusAugustus

Also, are there any cases where the Steam version either has less or more abilities than the non-Steam version? (What I mean is that say the Steam version of the F-18 only allows x and y functions for $80 while the non-Steam version allows X, Y, Z and AAA functions for $90.) I want to go the route that allows for the most detailed and most functional modules.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift/Vive Pro

Old 10-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #3
gabuzomeu

Hello
I do not use steam, but I understand from other posts that the steam version does not give access to the beta version which is frequently updated and in the past, the steam version might have redeived the new modules later than the other because of steam rules.
On the other hand, the finalized modules are the same.
Win 10 Home
gabuzomeu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
mehksauce

get the stand alone! we get updates first, we get bundle sales first, etc! also you can just add dcs to nonsteam game if u like!
mehksauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
StandingCow

Another vote for standalone, you get things quicker.

~Moo
StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
AureliusAugustus

Forgot to mention, I purchased FC3 back six months ago on Steam. Can I use the install key to install FC3 to my non-Steam version of DCS? Or is that key only good for the Steam version?

Old 10-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #7
lazduc

I would recommend standalone. Purchase from the DCS E-shop. Purchasing from Steam
sometimes issues have been noted.
lazduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusAugustus View Post
Forgot to mention, I purchased FC3 back six months ago on Steam. Can I use the install key to install FC3 to my non-Steam version of DCS? Or is that key only good for the Steam version?
Take a look at this thread on steam about this, see the post by Delle(DK)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/22375...2373012669316/

Seems you should be able to install FC3 into the standalone. If you have the SSD space I would download 2.5 beta or stable and give it a go.

If you want the updates quicker it's the way to go, I got the A-10C way back when on steam and then switched over.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #9
QuiGon
Veteran

I recommend the standalone version, because it often gets stuff quicker than the Steam version. It also offers more flexibility in regards to using different versions of DCS (release, beta, ...).

You can activate your steam purchased FC3 module in the standalone, because it is old enough to use the old copy protection system which is compatible with the standalone versions. That doesn't apply to modules that have been released since ~2017.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
backspace340

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabuzomeu View Post
I understand from other posts that the steam version does not give access to the beta version
That's not true, Steam users can access the open beta version easily - just need to opt into the beta in DCS World properties in Steam.

I use the standalone, but Steam has a couple of benefits that I can see (I've used both but locked into standalone now) -
1. More regular sales (you'll have about 5-6 sales a year on Steam, but 2-3 on standalone).
2. More reliable download speeds if you're not US/Europe-based (it took me three and a half days to download NTTR at a painful 50-200kb/s average, despite having gigabit internet).

Steam and standalone are identical when it comes to versions and modules - there aren't differences between them. And the typical delays for modules/updates have been in the order of hours rather than days over the last year. All of the bundle deals they've done this year have been on both Steam and standalone.
backspace340 is offline   Reply With Quote