Ka-50 autopilot trim helicopter?

Faman

This is for the Mi8 right? My comment is only really relevant for the Ka50.

Fair enough. My personal flying experience is with the Mi-8 (and about 3 hours front seat in an AH-64A) but the pilots I've flown with do the same thing and so really my comment is valid for Mi-8, AS332, B412, and AH-64A. I understand that my comment may not be as valid for different aircraft.

I reckon the standard operating envelope of the chopper requires too large a throw of the virtual/real cyclic. This excessive throw causes problems when trimming for a certain flight regime because of the large distance required to re zero our real cyclic within a millisecond.

The rest of the cyclic movement is for fast and hard aerobatic or emergency manoeuvres.

like the video we always see posted of the KA-50 pit with external views flying.... aerobatics.

Give it to the new members of ED (belsimtek), these guys know how to trim a bird.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 1 month later...

Weta43 posted this video here

4CBzgsx-UsQ?start=1017

I know it is a different aircraft but look at the video at 16:57, 17:41 and at 18:23. It looks like the Pilot is constantly taping the trim button on the cyclic stick.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Yup, tap and go is the right way.

It Feels natural to me in all the DCS choppers!

But less so in the KA-50.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Yup, tap and go is the right way...
Repeatedly?

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Repeatedly..... clack.... clack.... clack.... as you move.

it sounds right!

it feels right... It is damned right!

Apart from the KA-50.

it ain't right.

Too much Clack!

Too much movement!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

It's a much smoother style, at least when I do it for my own esperience, the more I click with less travel, the smoother the flight appears.

If I only trim large portions the thing just gets rougher, not that I care apart from that I think in RL the pilot does care, for his own sake and back bone/spire(?).

I think it is even more pronounced with the Mi-8. She is much more diva like and if you touch the edge of the envelope you get instant wild feedback. So there imho it pays to trim clack clack clack clack when you change attitude.

In VR it is more visible as it delivers more feedback to the brain, for my perception.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X