Notices

Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #21
Flappie

Challenge accepted.
Flappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #22
Flappie

Work in progress...
The Black Sea polygon has a poor precision, but that's just a placeholder. The final map will use SWBD data.
Shadows are not shown here but they've already been done.

As you can see, this is the easiest part, because I'm using data from real life. Next, I'll need to get every road, every river, every lake and every town perimeter. That's the tought part.

I'll start with the rivers, as they probably are very close to the "real" ones (I'll just have to remove those that didn't make it in the game).

Last edited by Flappie; 03-16-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #23
Shadow KT

Ow yeah that big one is top quality.

I used the same type of map for my region to do my navigation class, assignment.

Obviously, the reason it is on the internet is, because it is outdated, so be careful

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #24
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flappie View Post
Work in progress...
The Black Sea polygon has a poor precision, but that's just a placeholder. The final map will use SWBD data.
Shadows are not shown here but they've already been done.

As you can see, this is the easiest part, because I'm using data from real life. Next, I'll need to get every road, every river, every lake and every town perimeter. That's the tought part.

I'll start with the rivers, as they probably are very close to the "real" ones (I'll just have to remove those that didn't make it in the game).
This is great man!

Yes, the hardest part will be the towns for sure. There's a lot of real life charts of the region available that DCS pilots are using, but most of those pilots are flying fast jets at high altitude. For slow and low movers like chopper pilots, it is critical to have an accurate low altitude layout of the terrain. Real life charts do not reflect what you see in DCS, mostly the towns/villages that are either missing in DCS, or do not appear on real life charts, have different boundaries shapes, or whose names has been modified or wrongly translated. Vegetation is a big deal too when we are looking for LZ for our air assaults. Same issue for rivers (not always identical to IRL) and power lines which are big chopper killers.
So using a chart that shows what is actually in game is really important, something that IRL charts, as accurate as they are, cannot do.

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #25
Flappie

I started making a huuuuuge screenshot of the Caucasus map as seen in the mission editor. Once it is done, I'll try reproject it on my WIP to ease the comparison "IRL" / "ingame".

I'm not worried about power lines, lakes, and rivers: it should not take too long to get them right.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #26
Bogey Jammer

A screenshot map has been published somewhere on the user files repository or the forums, but I can't remember how big was the zoom factor. The file was too big to handle anyway…

There are differences on key locations coordinates. Some airbases are misplaced if real coordinates a compared. I once tried to locate the Tbilissi aircraft factory and found that the urban areas are too different in shape from reality to use a real map for assistance.

I don't know if DCS 2.5 adjusted the coordinate system to better fit reality. Anyway the big screenshot is the best solution to date.
МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 F-14A Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module
Running DCS 1.5.8 until costs of hardware required to run 2.5 smoothly in VR mode drop to a reasonable level.
Bogey Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #27
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Don’t be afraid to make large files. There are several softwares that allow to manipulate quickly large pictures by chopping it into multiple resolutions smaller squares. Or, best solution, make a vector file.

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #28
davidp57

I once started working on such an app for iPad (remember me, BaD CrC ?) but stopped because someone else had more advance on a similar app ...
Unfortunately it was never released...
davidp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #29
Flappie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
Don’t be afraid to make large files. There are several softwares that allow to manipulate quickly large pictures by chopping it into multiple resolutions smaller squares. Or, best solution, make a vector file.
I will at least make a large PNG file (my first draft is 21047 x 12552 pixels).

I have some good news: the map from the editor is using UTM zone 36N projection. That means I can superimpose it on my WIP, and work on the differences. This will of course take some time, but it IS feasable.

Talking about projections, I'm not sure which one to use for my final map:

• The mission editor uses UTM zone 36N.
  • The original TC-1 map uses UTM zone 37N.
  • The good old ONC-F4 map uses the Lambert Conformal Conic projection.
  • SkyVector uses Mercator.

Which one would you guys prefer?

EDIT: added Mercator as a fourth possibility, as it is used on the beautiful SkyVector map.

Last edited by Flappie; 03-22-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #30
BlacleyCole

The one the best represents the dcs world but is close to real world imo

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better
BlacleyCole is offline   Reply With Quote