K-14 Problem

-Mop-

I set the the correct wingspan, set the correct distance (more or less), hold still for a second... and... my bullets pass the enemies path right more than just a few degrees in lag...

in comparrison to normal boresighted action ( where i hit those bandit ;-)) i go much more in lead to the target...

it seems that the k-14 always computes to few lead in order to hit... because no one mentioned this in the forum, it makes me think that i just do something wrong... but what, THE HELL IS IT...

please help

thx Mop

Just a few guesses: trim, wind, wrong approach for the K-14... Correct wingspan "more or less" - should be 37 for the Mustang, if I remember.

Anyway, I play some IL-2 from time to time still, and the K-14 also isn't accurate there. Maybe it's just a specific way this sight was meant to be used.

Anyway, with sims using realistic ballistics and some historical reading, my assumption would be that it was hard to hit anything with the speed and G-load of the fighters of that time. That's why tracers were used as well.

I haven't had much luck with it either. As to why I haven't posted about it: I think that approximating the range adjustment (which I think is linked to a twist grip throttle on the actual bird) seems quite cumbersome without a twist grip... I'm getting better with time, but it's rare that I'm able to stay glued onto someones six while constantly readjusting to target wingspan accurately.

It's damn tough!

^^^Obviously the above is probably somewhat unique to my skill level (Or lack of skill level :D)

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

Just a question , are you setting the wingspan to the actual size of aircraft or are you adjusting it to cover the wings as you look at it through the gunsight?

My understanding is pilots and gunners were taught aircraft recognition so they knew exactly what setting to set for what enemy aircraft.

In DCS I guess you'll have to look up wingspan size and make little list for yourself. If it's just P-51 dogfighting well then you should be able to use the same setting all the time?

Edit: best advice someone gave to me is just turn on the fixed and gyro and draw an imaginary line between, squeeze off a few rounds and see if they are going in front or behind, your firing solution should always be along that imaginary line...

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

To determine the distance or range to a target of known size at an unknown distance this formula can be applied:

Where:

D – distance to target

S – known target size

mil – target size in mil-dots as seen through the sight.

D = (S/mil)*1000

So, if the enemy P-51 has known size 37 feet

and is at 20 mils

So distance i

(37/20)* 1000 = 1850 feet away.

CjQB0XcUKou5neuVUWpuDgzj0T4gOoQA0SEEiA4hQHQIAaJDCBAdQoDoEAJEhxAgOoQA0SEEiA4hQHQIAaJDCBAdQoDoEAJEhxAgOoQA0SEEiA4hQHQIAaJDCP4AxmqTwAKFgLAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

My head hurts.:crazy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My head hurts.:crazy:

Mine too, lol. I have a hard enough time reading the altimeter :smartass:

Interesting formula though, fortunately for me (unless I don't understand the k-14) I won't need it. Set a known wingspan, then adjust the reticle to match the wingspan as you see it from the pit and presto! There's your range. Right?

Edited by SmokeyTheLung

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

• ED Team
I set the the correct wingspan, set the correct distance (more or less), hold still for a second... and... my bullets pass the enemies path right more than just a few degrees in lag...

in comparrison to normal boresighted action ( where i hit those bandit ;-)) i go much more in lead to the target...

it seems that the k-14 always computes to few lead in order to hit... because no one mentioned this in the forum, it makes me think that i just do something wrong... but what, THE HELL IS IT...

please help

thx Mop

Known bug. Must be fixed.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team

Here is a bit of history of someone who had problems with deflection shooting.

Clive Caldwell was the top WW2 Australian ace. He served first in the desert with P40s.

In his first missions, he just could not shoot down EA due to lack of deflection shooting skills.

Flying back from a sortie, very low, he noticed that his leader had a distinct shadow on the desert floor. He therefore "attacked" the shadow from various angles, noting where the bullets hit the desert relative to the shadow.

The technique became standard training in the Australian Air Force - more effective than shooting at a drogue.

You can try it in DCS:P51. Create a mission where the sun is at an angle (at midday, the shadow is under the leader and mistakes can happen!). Find an area that is flat, and set season to winter as the shadow shows up better on the snow.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

Here is a bit of history of someone who had problems with deflection shooting.

Clive Caldwell was the top WW2 Australian ace. He served first in the desert with P40s.

In his first missions, he just could not shoot down EA due to lack of deflection shooting skills.

Flying back from a sortie, very low, he noticed that his leader had a distinct shadow on the desert floor. He therefore "attacked" the shadow from various angles, noting where the bullets hit the desert relative to the shadow.

The technique became standard training in the Australian Air Force - more effective than shooting at a drogue.

You can try it in DCS:P51. Create a mission where the sun is at an angle (at midday, the shadow is under the leader and mistakes can happen!). Find an area that is flat, and set season to winter as the shadow shows up better on the snow.

I created a winter mission, but the shadow disappear when i get in range.

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

Ah, but there are no shortages of drones in DCS. :)

I know, but the sad story is I went furious, and shot the friendly AI down :(:lol:

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

• ED Team
I created a winter mission, but the shadow disappear when i get in range.

Yes - I too found that was sometimes a problem. You have to get the angle of the sun correct. Try it over the sea, is it any better? I have submitted on the wishlist that shadow should be stronger when aircraft is low.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

The problem with the wrong sight deflection was fixed. Expect the new K-14 implementation in the release version.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

• ED Team

Yes, now it's way better if you take in account bullet drop after 1000 ft. The good practice is still to drag pipper through the target a little.

1000-1500 ft is very effective range.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

To determine the distance or range to a target of known size at an unknown distance this formula can be applied:

Where:

D – distance to target

S – known target size

mil – target size in mil-dots as seen through the sight.

D = (S/mil)*1000

So, if the enemy P-51 has known size 37 feet

and is at 20 mils

So distance is

(37/20)* 1000 = 1850 feet away.

CjQB0XcUKou5neuVUWpuDgzj0T4gOoQA0SEEiA4hQHQIAaJDCBAdQoDoEAJEhxAgOoQA0SEEiA4hQHQIAaJDCBAdQoDoEAJEhxAgOoQA0SEEiA4hQHQIAaJDCP4AxmqTwAKFgLAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Yup,clear as mud :cry:

System Specs :

Processor ; Intel®Core i7-3930 CPU@ 3.20GHz.

RAM -16.0 GB

Type-64bit

GPU-GTX 970

Never eject over a village you've just bombed - US Marines Gen.

I tend to agree that 900-1300 feet is the best engagement range: at closer ranges, the target's apparent size is larger, but the gun's convergence means that the shots tend to pass to either side of the target, and as you get closer, you get locked into dead-astern pursuit, where you're firing at the wings edge-on.

My best results are generally 1000-1200 feet (where the guns are all converging in a small area), with a slight deflection (so that I can see some wing plan).

• 1 year later...
How do you turn it on, make it visible. It does not turn on or become visible at all.

First you need to have the battery on to provide power to the electrical systems (bat disc on the electrical panel). Then to turn on the gunsight: (1) There is a switch in front and to the left of your flight stick, under the magnetos labelled "Guns" - flick the switch to the up position (to "guns, camera & sight"). (2) there is a black knob on the left hand side of the cockpit, above and in front of the throttle lever, labelled "fixed/fixed & gyro/gyro" - click this and cycle between the static sight or K14 sight (or both sights together). Lastly, (3) under that knob there is a switch labelled on/off - this alternates the K14 gyro sight between being fixed and active.

dcs_gunsight_zpsd2ba9710.png

Edited by Bounder

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

• 2 weeks later...
The problem with the wrong sight deflection was fixed. Expect the new K-14 implementation in the release version.

Nearly 2 years have passed since the above Statement has been made... and i have to say that NOTHING HAS BEEN FIXED !!!

still the K-14 calculates not the correct lead... in my opinion you have to add additional lead at about the lenght of the plane you are targetting...

so please fix it... maybe thos has been forgotten...

has anybody realized any difference from that time to now???

• ED Team
Nearly 2 years have passed since the above Statement has been made... and i have to say that NOTHING HAS BEEN FIXED !!!

still the K-14 calculates not the correct lead... in my opinion you have to add additional lead at about the lenght of the plane you are targetting...

so please fix it... maybe thos has been forgotten...

has anybody realized any difference from that time to now???

Please post a track of the issue you are seeing, as far as I know the sight works fine now.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Please post a track of the issue you are seeing, as far as I know the sight works fine now.

Thx for the offer... as soon i´m back from work this evening i´ll do some flights and post the trk.-files afterwards...