AGM-122 sidearm seeker question

fixen

Can the Sidearm be used against enemy aircraft painting you (like the R-27EP)?

Guessing not cause of the radar bands, but still?

Supposedly it can see SA-8 and ZSU-23 emissions (7-15GHz). Most fighter radars fall between 9 and 13GHz. So it should be able to see them.

However, as I mentioned earlier, it probably doesn't perform well against a radar that is scanning. I think for there to be a chance of homing in properly, the fighter radar would need to be locked on to you. It would also only be a forward aspect missile.

It for sure uses PN guidance, just like the AIM-9M. It needs to have a similar fuse as well (IDK if it does or not). If it doesnt have a fuse, then you could probably lock on and launch the missile but considering it uses PN guidance with a 20Hz conical scan seeker in a head on engagement, it will probably miss the target. That scan rate is too low IMO considering the high closure rate between the missile and the target for it to directly hit the aircraft.

For those naysayers, who think that because the missile isnt meant to hit air radar that it cant, here's a good read on its much more sophisticated predecessor hitting a B-52 tail gunner radar.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/10314/the-time-a-f-4g-wild-weasels-anti-radiation-missile-blew-apart-a-b-52s-tail

EDIT: in case it wasn't clear. the AGM-122 was not designed to hit airborne radars. The real question is what measures were put in place to physically prevent the seeker from tracking an airborne emission, if any? In all likely hood, I think the aircraft using it did their best to stay out of any airborne fight. So i doubt it has any measures to prevent the A2A engagement, because the helo or strike pilot was the biggest denier of an air engagment.

Edited by Beamscanner
  • Like 1

if this thing is not produced anymore, what do harriers use as ARMs?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

if this thing is not produced anymore, what do harriers use as ARMs?

Nothing. They are not rated to use HARMs. Instead they are now using advanced ECM pods. The latest one is the AN/ALQ-231 Intrepid Tiger II, that has evolved from a communications jammer to a full spectrum jammer (radar and radio). In this way it can provide the same ECM coverage of an EA-6B Prowler.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/systems/an-alq-231.htm

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

That's a dangerous thing to say, it implies things that aren't true :D

In this way it can provide the same ECM coverage of an EA-6B Prowler.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

That's a dangerous thing to say, it implies things that aren't true :D

Since the Intrepid Tiger II is a current heavily classified system, we do not know what its current capabilities are. We do know that the USMC wants it to be a full spectrum jammer so they can retire their EA-6B fleet. The IT II is being fielded as we speak.

The USMC requested the upgrade in 2013 and now we are in 2017. It is possible that now they have their full spectrum jammer pod. Specially since it seems all it requires is a software upgrade.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

I'm not seeing this on the pre-order page. Is this something that's being added later?

Just an error. The missile will be available on day one.

• 1 month later...
Nothing, according to the manuals. The only AGMs mentioned there are the 65-series and the 122. Wikipedia claims that it can carry the AGM-88, but without any official info I'd be sceptical of these claims.

Everything I find says the AV-8B can carry the AGM-88. Heres one link for example https://www.military.com/equipment/av-8b-harrier-ii

Is the AGM-88 going to come out for the AV-8B (DCS) as well? I hope so :)

Edited by Sneak69

The AV-8B never carried either harpoons or HARMs.

The AV-8B+ is apparently capable, but that's not the jet we have.

It can though... everything out there says the AV-8B (NOT plus) can carry it.

Boeing BAE AV8B Harrier II - NATO

PDFhttps://jfcbs.nato.int › file_download

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

It can though... everything out there says the AV-8B (NOT plus) can carry it.

Boeing BAE AV8B Harrier II - NATO

PDFhttps://jfcbs.nato.int › file_download

Having a hard time with the site you listed now. But the site you listed before, which does show HARM and Harpoon capability also shows compatibility with the AMRAAM. So at least one of the sites you're referencing seems to be talking about the Plus and not the Night Attack.

Having a hard time with the site you listed now. But the site you listed before, which does show HARM and Harpoon capability also shows compatibility with the AMRAAM. So at least one of the sites you're referencing seems to be talking about the Plus and not the Night Attack.
Very true, them mixing the AMRAAM doesn't help.

I uploaded the file from the second post.

Here you can see how they separate the AMRAAM as a plus only feature but they do not do that with any other weapon.

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a2f776256a77/Boeing__BAE_AV8B_Harrier_II.pdf

Boeing__BAE_AV8B_Harrier_II.pdf

If you sourced some official manufacturer/navy documentation instead of a PDF based on an online magazine and wikipedia RAZBAM might be more inclined to take it seriously.
Ok but source something that says the harm is only on the plus variant then?

I found this but it doesn't list anything about SEAD weapons at all.

(Added the full doc as well looks like it has good info in there. From Naval Air Systems Command)

13-69998e257e.jpg.04a6ed1f4460fa1137491ae2eecb0672.jpg

201968990-av-8b.rar

Edited by Sneak69
add pic and link

The 2002 TACMAN details the Sidearm and how to employ it.

• 2 weeks later...

So, does the sidearm need IR cool or not?

I know it doesn't have an IR detector, but is the IR cooling activation used to cool down its antirad seeker electronics?

Also, why is the external texture showing something like an IR seeker nose on the ingame sidearm? Every photo of the sidearm I saw has the nose of the missile painted the same color as the body. Any plans on changing this?