Default Control Mapping Option that matches simple switches

streakeagle

Most two position toggle switches in DCS aircraft modules are defined in a way that you need to provide separate inputs for each position. i.e. for landing gear, you need one input for "up" and a second input for "down".

Yet two position switches on a game controller like the Warthog typically provide only one input that is "on"/high in one position or "off"/low in the other position. You either have to use two separate switches, or resort to mapping the switch to a momentary toggle control, which requires manually moving the switch up and down every time you want to change position in the game.

Whether you are building a cockpit or using a Warthog Throttle, it would be a great advantage if all two-position switches included a definition that supported looking at only one input. Likewise, three position switches should be defined using two inputs. The Warthog throttle has a flap switch, a rocker switch, and two 3-position toggle switches that would benefit from this. Some modules map some of its switches this way. Many do not.

So I end up having to customize the scripting in many aircraft to get things to work right. But every time there is an update, I have to compare files and paste my mods in. Why compare files instead of copying over the new ones? Because there are changes in almost every patch.

The aircraft that I am currently maintaining custom control scripts include the following: AJS37, Bf109K4, F-5E, F-86F, FW190D9, L-39C, L-39ZA, MiG-15bis, MiG-21Bis, and UH-1H. Some of these only have one or two scripts for landing gear and/or flaps. Others have 6 or more scripts covering various toggle 2 and 3 position toggle functions.

I am not saying the existing mapping should be taken away. I am just asking to have the most common/practical way of handling in-game toggle switches with real-world toggle switches provided by default.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]