FFB & Trim

Irpus

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with the configuration of my peripherals since version 1.2.6 .

I made some researches on this and other forums but I decided to post my exact problem to check if it is such or if it is simply some kind of feature I still don't understand well.

I have both Ka-50 Black Shark 2 and DCS P-51D but the problem is relevant for the last only.

First my PC specs :

Mobo : msi h87-g43

CPU : Intel i5-4750

Ram : 8GB 1600

Video Card : Sapphire 7950 3GB

Peripheral :

Hotas Cougar

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

CH Pro Pedals USB

Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP (of course I dont' use it for DCS :) )

Now, what it is happening.

I use the Sidewinder FFB2 as a main stick for the Mustang (and Ka-50) to use force feedback but I use the throttle from the Cougar to control gas.

I use antenna elevation rotary on the throttle to control elevator trim but it is behaving in a strange way.

If I move that control, the stick moves sideways, left or right (as if I had used the trimmer button on the Black Shark!) but on a different axis! And it stays there so that to bring it back to the center I have to use more force, making it difficult and innatural to control the plane. I know the effect of a trim can be like this, logically speaking, but a P-51 is not a Black Shark so I would expect not to have my stick moved by the trim, maybe I can accept the extra effort moving it in the opposite direction with respect to the trim.

Any suggestion or ideas?

Thank You in advance!

Bye! :)

I would expect not to have my stick moved by the trim

I'm not sure this is what you're talking about, but:

On a fixed wing aircraft in dcs, trimming does move the stick's neutral point (trim nose down, the stick moves forward) and this is as it would be in real life.

Cheers.

If I move that control, the stick moves sideways, left or right (as if I had used the trimmer button on the Black Shark!) but on a different axis!

If I understand you aright, trimming the elevator causes your physical stick to move to the side? This should not happen. As Weta43 said, trimming the elevator should move the stick on the pitch axis, but it should not on the roll axis.

What version are you using ?

Does the stick move correctly if you use the keyboard commands ?

If so..

Can you program the rotary to produce the keystrokes ?

What happens if you try to assign roll to the same control - does it then actually control pitch ?

Cheers.

If I understand you aright, trimming the elevator causes your physical stick to move to the side? This should not happen. As Weta43 said, trimming the elevator should move the stick on the pitch axis, but it should not on the roll axis.

Check the settings under Options->Controls->"FF Tune" and experiment with "Switch Axes" and/or "Invert X" / "Invert Y".

^ That. I needed to reverse the FFB axis' on my MS FFB2 as well.

When working properly, trim does move the stick, but in the direction of trim. i.e. if you trim elevator up, the stick's tension center point will be moved aft.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

First of all thanks for your answers!

Now going back to the discussion topic, ok maybe I should try to swap axis because I already tried to invert axis. The strange part is that the same behaviour happens even assigning the trim to a button instead of rotary. I'm going to make some attempts more and I'll let you know.

Thank you again!

• Like 1

Ok I think I have a solution! I have tried all combination of "Swap Axis", "Invert X" and "Invert Y" settings without being able to change anything! But finally I discovered that I was doing the changes in the wrong place! In fact I was changing the settings under FFB tuning of the trim elevator axis and not under pitch and roll axis! I have no idea how I didn't notice this before, but it was the only reason for the elevator trim to have an effect on the aileron axis.

So, again, thanks to everyone!

Best wishes for incoming Christmas and New Year!

• 1 year later...

Elevator Trim quit working

Hi Guys,

My elevator trim has quit working in the P51D. I read some place on the forum there is a place to go to to fix a specific module. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I using the Saitek Rhino X55 throttle and stick, and CH Products pedals.

PCALEX

Probably not the best thread to ask, because this one is about FFB sticks, so You might not get many responses from guys who don't own FFB gear (which is majority, including You and me), as they just won't click here... unless they're bored - that's how I got here by accident :D.

Anyway, more testing and info might come in handy. Do You use profiler software, is the trim assigned to axis or buttons, does it work when assigned to different buttons/keys etc...

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Art J.

I have tried both buttons and keys and changed from the stick to the throttle quad with the same results. I haven't tried the software as I have tried in the past n another sim and had problems. I'll try changing axis and using the software. I'll also post under more relevant tread. Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it. I'm new to using the forum so it has been a learning curve.

PCALEX

I'm not a Saitek owner, but I also use my Thrustmaster without any profiler software, being happy with direct in-game control assignments (for similar reasons as You). So it's not a profiler software issue then.

I reckon You fly the "full" P-51D module, does the problem affect the free TF-51D or any other plane as well?

I would also try moving/deleting the control config files from the Saved Games folder (C:\Users\[your profile name]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input) to "reset" the game and see if correct reassigning controls once again is possible.

Edit: Actually, before doing so, I would remove all default assignments for controls and trims, just to avoid any conflicts, then reassign trims again.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.