SAITEK Pro Flight Cessna Elevator problem

BiBa

I have a SAITEK Pro Flight Cessna Elevator, which is recognised under the Axis Commands, but can't be assigned adequately as Trim Elevator. It seems as if it's not been recognised. It's working perfectly though as Elevator in FSX. It's a pity because that's the perfect instrument for the P-51.

Need help.

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

Do you mean a Trim Wheel? Are you trying to assign it by moving it?

Since DCS wants to see full movement in one direction along with partial movement in the other, to properly sense an axis, it is easier to just assign it from the pulldown.

I have not flown the Mustang in a few weeks but I believe it was working properly at that time (I use one for rudder trim).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Do you mean a Trim Wheel? Are you trying to assign it by moving it? Since DCS wants to see full movement in one direction along with partial movement in the other, to properly sense an axis, it is easier to just assign it from the pulldown. I have not flown the Mustang in a few weeks but I believe it was working properly at that time (I use one for rudder trim).

Yes it's a Trim wheel. Well I made the same movement (twisting in both directions) as I did with the assignment of the other three SAITEK accessoire that I have, but didn't work... But I've just solved the issue; as it's a one Axis instrument, you have to click in the "Key / Button" box and choose JOY_X. Seems like the only exception for the SAITEK collection in DCS. But thanks anyway.

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

... as it's a one Axis instrument, you have to click in the "Key / Button" box and choose JOY_X. Seems like the only exception for the SAITEK collection in DCS. But thanks anyway.

Yes, that is what I meant by the pulldown.

The problem with the trim wheel is that it has to move through a bit more than nine revolutions for full travel, and there is no mechanical stop to tell you that it has done so. I also think that because the driver starts it in the middle position this exacerbates the problem.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes, that is what I meant by the pulldown. The problem with the trim wheel is that it has to move through a bit more than nine revolutions for full travel, and there is no mechanical stop to tell you that it has done so. I also think that because the driver starts it in the middle position this exacerbates the problem.

It's interesting though your idea using it as a rudder trim. I assume you've turned it 90° aside. I was looking for a similar instrument for Aileron/Rudder Trim. Would be nice a little bit smaller than the Elevator Trim, but will do as alternative.

Beside that, the disadvantage of this Trim Elevator is that, if you've also assigned the Up/Down Trimming on the joystick buttons and have used them, the Trimmer always starts where you've left it and not where the airplane changed trimmer status is. Should be possible because it has no mechanical stop. I wonder if there is a suitable software/driver that can solve this problem.

Edited by Biba

• 8 months later...

Where is this "Key / Button" box you refer to? I see "keyboard". is that it? After I find it, do I still need to rotate the trim wheel to its full extent?

Thanks,

badfinger

Yes it's a Trim wheel. Well I made the same movement (twisting in both directions) as I did with the assignment of the other three SAITEK accessoire that I have, but didn't work... But I've just solved the issue; as it's a one Axis instrument, you have to click in the "Key / Button" box and choose JOY_X. Seems like the only exception for the SAITEK collection in DCS. But thanks anyway.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.