Slightly odd new tendency to roll right?

BuzZoo

Hey all,

As a massive spitfire enthusiast who doesn't have a lot of time on his hands, I do an awful lot of quickstart missions with the spit. I've noticed just now that my spit has a tendency to want to roll right a little with completely neutral trim and engine at idle. It's pretty off putting as I'm used to that massive pull to the left due to engine torque. But for the first time ever I'm actually having to trim the rudder left when gliding to the runway.

I've got the control grid up and all looks normal with my inputs. Anyone else able to confirm or deny?

Same here; no particular change perceived in this matter from my perspective.

That's Good News then! Not odd at all, even as a matter of fact :-)

I haven't been using DCS lately, and I honestly don't recall if it used to be like that, but if not, then it was wrong as it was before and was probably fine tuned.

the OP mentioned testing at iddle, but even sometimes just at reduced power settings, a right rolling tendency is natural of any aircraft with a CW rotating prop because propwash speed becomes negative as well as the natural compensation for torque has no longer anything to counter.

In the Spitfire I really don't know if the vertical fin is built with some cant, but probably the ground adjustable aileron trim tab(s), set to compensate for cruise or a bit higher power settings will also contribute since there is no longer prop torque to compensate for, but rather a negative torque resulting from the "negative" propwash.

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Load up any of the quick start landings and pull power to idle. You should be entirely neutral in trim yet very gradually roll to the right. Whether it's accurate or not this didn't used to be the case. This is the only situation I've really noticed it as it's quite subtle.

Load up any of the quick start landings and pull power to idle. You should be entirely neutral in trim yet very gradually roll to the right. Whether it's accurate or not this didn't used to be the case. This is the only situation I've really noticed it as it's quite subtle.

And it is correct, from a flight Dynamics point-of-view.

And it is correct, from a flight Dynamics point-of-view.

That may be the case but I've done hundreds of those quick starts and only noticed this behavior recently. If it has been "corrected" then that's a good thing of course.

Hey BuzZoo,

Just a thought, is your spitfire carrying anything like drop tanks or bombs when you spawn?

I get distinct drag-induced roll that is very hard to trim out when I am carry ordnance and/ or tanks.

Phil,

he stated he noticed it when idling the engine... It's normal under such circumstances, even at neutral rudder trim settings, to notice a right banking tendency, if not for reasons related with fin cant, or ground adjustable aileron trim tabs ( which I believe the Spitfire doesn't have ), at least due to the negative propwash speed.

Phil,

he stated he noticed it when idling the engine... It's normal under such circumstances, even at neutral rudder trim settings, to notice a right banking tendency, if not for reasons related with fin cant, or ground adjustable aileron trim tabs ( which I believe the Spitfire doesn't have ), at least due to the negative propwash speed.

OK. But I am unsure how one can get the aircraft to fly with the engine idling...

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I have been flying the Spitfire for about six months and have always had a slight right roll in flight. I just trim it out with a little rudder - which is not aerodynamically ideal, as the aircraft is "crabbing" a tiny bit as you can see by the ball.

Are you using rudder trim to Starboard for takeoff ? If so, you'll have to "undo" it for cruise.

Don't use rudder - use rudder trim instead because although still a bit abrupt in this DCS Spitfire, it is certainly a finner adjustment.