AIM120 altitude record video

Revientor

More reason the AIM-120 guidance needs updating in DCS. You can see how long the missile retains its energy when it's high up in thin air even with gravity working directly against it. Effective range becomes more limited by battery life when you send the missile up then over rather than on a pure intercept course and it gains a lot of speed back for high maneuverability in the terminal phase.

Is battery life even modelled in DCS at the moment? If not, do we know if it's planned as part of these missile reworks?

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

More reason the AIM-120 guidance needs updating in DCS. You can see how long the missile retains its energy when it's high up in thin air even with gravity working directly against it. Effective range becomes more limited by battery life when you send the missile up then over rather than on a pure intercept course and it gains a lot of speed back for high maneuverability in the terminal phase.

Looked right to me. In very thin air you'd expect it to lose speed at around 20knots per second (9.8ms^2, neglecting air resistance).

I don't understand why speed drops so much and keeps dropping after re-entry. What speed is TS actually? TAS?

TS stands for terminal speed and is the speed at which the air friction force becomes equal to the weight of the object and it stops accelerating in freefall.

I wonder how high the Phoenix will go if fired like this.

*Spoiler Alert*

It despawns in the video... apparently there's a limit to how high objects can be rendered. It's interesting to watch it's mach # grow (function of decreasing air density), even as it's overall velocity decreases.

My modded scuds clear 250K in ballistic trajectory. There is a "battery" function in the weapons code, i can't recall the Russian name they give it, but the control surfaces and guidance stop after a set time in code.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Looked right to me. In very thin air you'd expect it to lose speed at around 20knots per second (9.8ms^2, neglecting air resistance).

I didn't mean that it was wrong, I meant that the guidance of the missiles needs to utilize going up high to utilize the low air resistance rather than directly to the target

I don't understand why speed drops so much and keeps dropping after re-entry. What speed is TS actually? TAS?

True speed, essentially ground speed. It's how fast the object is moving through the coordinate space.

Good missile guidance will optimize range but not too much at the expense of timeliness. Maximum range is no good if it takes a week to arrive. Target will get bored and fly home.

i wonder if you are able to shoot down yourselves with your own missile like this :D

When you're still around when the missile goes down again, it maybe tracks on you?

I've shot down ER's with AIM-9's before... so ya, it's definitely possible.