Show me your mad dogfighting skills!

Wags

I can't believe you guys/gals! Look at Matts video again... LOOK!.. no seriously... LLOOOOOKK!

Is that a Messerschmitt ME-109 going down in flames?

YES!

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Wags,

I downloaded your mission and ran it a few times before I finally got the hang of the aircraft in a fight. The odd thing is the engine cuts out for 15-20 seconds at mission start, even though RPM and manifold pressure are showing good. I end up starting the fight at a speed disadvantage, and the AI does an incredible job of using that against me. The engine cut out happens no matter how I start and/or play with the throttle.

Here's a trackfile so you can see the issue. I'm not sure what's going on with it. The aircraft also feels very different for the first minute of the fight when compared to the rest of it. The Aux tank is empty, so I'm not sure what's causing that either. The change could be attributed to altitude combined with low starting IAS, since I ended up dragging the guy down lower after losing him in the sun.

Congratulations on some killer AI. This guy was pulling rope-a-dopes on me in some of the earlier fights.

Mouse1v1HighAI.trk

- WH_Mouse

Panzertard and I went at it, Oh man it was so much fun. Go high def =)

I cant get the darn embedding to work, Viper can you shoot a few BB's at it?

Oh my goodness, I learnt quite a lot flying against you - good fun!

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

There was quite alot of talented people on the server that night, and frankly - much better pilots than I. Sorry, I don't remember all your names right now, but I watched in amazement how people were dogfight eachother, so many skilled pilots.

You all kept whipping me and others - I've not had so much fun in a long long time. :D

And all the BennyHill moments such as 3 on 3, all trailing eachother. :lol:

We need to do this again some other night, for sure.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Oh my goodness, I learnt quite a lot flying against you - good fun!

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

There was quite alot of talented people on the server that night, and frankly - much better pilots than I. Sorry, I don't remember all your names right now, but I watched in amazement how people were dogfight eachother.

You all kept whipping me and others - I've not had so much fun in a long long time. :D

We need to do this again some other night, for sure.

Well this sounds fantastic..at Air Combat League..we have ladder competitions setup already for the P-51D ladder challenges...lets see holds the top spot the longest...:music_whistling:

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

Things I've learned about the DCS P-51D

Things I've learned in the last few days with the DCS P-51D...

1) There are two fuel gauges on the floor either side of the seat. Seeing fuel in the right gauge does not ensure the engine keeps running if the fuel selector is on an empty left tank.

2) If you want things to get exciting on the landing rollout... engage the control lock in the towing position whilst still at speed.

3) The light P-51D is an entirely different beast compared to the heavy P-51D.

4) The leading edge of the P-51 wing is much stronger than the trailing edge.

One of the above is clearly illustrated in the following dogfighting video: :music_whistling:

Edited by lobo**
fixed to display the vid

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

• ED Team

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Things I've learned in the last few days with the DCS P-51D...

1) There are two fuel gauges on the floor either side of the seat. Seeing fuel in the right gauge does not ensure the engine keeps running if the fuel selector is on an empty left tank.

And one behind you for the fuselage tank. :)

(See page 117)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Lobo & Eth - you're doing it the hard way. It's much easier to observe when the vapor stops flowing from the holes in the wings.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

But that only tells me what your fuel status is... :(

:P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

It's time to switch tanks right before the engine gets very quiet.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Finally managed to kill the excellent skilled AI in 1vs1 dogfight but I added gun ammo loads weight worth of fuel to him as there's apparently a bug in the AI flight model making him too light weight. Yo-Yo's post about the issue:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1448656&postcount=4

I had a sliding doors moment quite in the middle of the fight where we both were pretty much out of control on top of a vertical turn. I got into a spin but managed to recover just after one revolution and flying already in the right direction when gaining control and therefore getting into his 6 by a lucky accident. After that I could take my time practicing my shooting skills. :)

External view version from the enemy's viewpoint:

5UvLkD0FBdM

Cockpit view version:

YbhG5uQJ6cI

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Grizzly, gratz! Nice shot.

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

These are great videos! Really entertaining to watch.

Love the guncam footage by Yo-Yo, looks real!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Cooler Master HAF X Case | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W PSU | EVGA Z270 Classified K |

Intel Core i7 7700k @ 5.0 Ghz | 512GB Samsung 960 Pro SSD |

16 GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 @ 3200 MHZ | EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 | WD 6TB 7200 RPM |

Oculus Rift | TM HOTAS Warthog | 27" ASUS VG278H 3D monitor | Windows 10 64 bit |

Mine are certainly not so great, but attached is my contribution. I've also attached the little mission I used.

Post your video and screen shots here.

Good luck!

Yep, about like that. I did not set unlimited ammo, but I used way more than was necessary. AI guy does not like being shot at, he makes it a good chase. I was whittlin' him down then a fireball. I think I took his wing off. My convergence was set for 200 yards.

Just remember, if that center ball is not centered when you fire your guns the bullet stream is not going straight as intended.

I wonder how accurate that aiming computer is and maybe lead the bogie ahead of it.

I need to fine tune my Y axis pitch zone.

I would like to know how to make a video like yours.

Edited by ErichVon