Is DCS 2.5.4 Open Beta supposed to take 5-10 mins to open?

minimi66

@Gruman

No mods running since doing Cleanup and Repair earlier this afternoon.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i9-13900K - 64GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 3200 MHz - ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 - 2TB  INTEL NVMe SSD (Windows 10) - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (DCS) - Crucial CT1000 1TB NVMe SSD - WinWing F-16EX Stick - WinWing Orion Throttle Base with both F-18 & F-16C TQS Throttle Grips - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G-910 Keyboard - Logitech G-502 Lightspeed Mouse - Logitech G-533 Headset - Occulus Quest Pro VR - TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro

Just realised as well, can't really do a re-install as i'll lose a load of activations on my modules?

Think i've only got 1 left on a couple like A-10C....

Bugger!!!

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i9-13900K - 64GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 3200 MHz - ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 - 2TB  INTEL NVMe SSD (Windows 10) - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (DCS) - Crucial CT1000 1TB NVMe SSD - WinWing F-16EX Stick - WinWing Orion Throttle Base with both F-18 & F-16C TQS Throttle Grips - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G-910 Keyboard - Logitech G-502 Lightspeed Mouse - Logitech G-533 Headset - Occulus Quest Pro VR - TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro

@epoch

Yes, my mistake. I managed to run the Cleanup and Repair thanks to the post from @MurderOne.

Thanks anyway.

Just realised as well, can't really do a re-install as i'll lose a load of activations on my modules?

If you keep the same Windows, the activation will be still valid, as it's stored on Windows Registry ... only if you intend to reinstall Windows as well, would you need to deactivate your older Modules (the newer ones, from the M2000C onwards have a keyless protection that don't need activation procedure).

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

i wouldn’t disable the windows swap file. that could cause more problems.

have you disabled anti-virus completely?

you will still be “safe” while you run a test loading dcs and then we will know if anti-virus has anything to do with the problem.

@rudel chw

Thanks mate, i wasn't aware of that. Absolutely no intention of re-installing Windows so if i don't have to deactivate and so on then that's great.

@etherbattx

Thanks. There was no swap file active on my I: drive, so i switched to System Managed and tested but it made no appreciable difference. So i then created a 32GB swap file in I: but again after re-boot and re-starting DCS it made little to no difference.

Start up still taking around 3-4 minutes as it stands.

I am leaning towards a full DCS re-install to be honest, i think i have to at least try that as nothing else seems to be improving things.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Working today so no time to look at this until tomorrow now anyway.

Are we talking 3-4min until main menu or ingame? If Ingame. Which Aitframe?

I guess your Windows is installed on the SSD/NVME as well, right?

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Windows is on another SSD but not the NVME. That would have required moving my Windows install as i only acquired the NVME about a month ago. Not a road i really want to go down unless absolutely imperative?

3-4 minutes from Desktop icon click to arriving at Main DCS program screen i.e. where i can choose Instant Action, Mission Editor, Multiplayer etc. etc...

I can load a IA Mission or Single Mission etc. in about 10-20 seconds every time from click to cockpit.

Thanks.

I have the same issue. I believe its related to some module activation, as i did a complete reinstall and when launching a vanilla dcs with only stock modules it works great. Not sure which one but once i reactivated everything bam, takes freaking 10min again. I see dcs in task manager but its just sitting almost idle and not loading anthing. I just deal with it but it is annoying

@hollywoodvillain

Yeah that's the same as me! I kept getting asked to enter an activation code for Flaming Cliffs but i thought i only had FC on my Steam version of the sim? Anyway, i logged into my ED account and saw i did in fact have a key for the non-Steam version of FC. So i obviously activated it, but it didn't solve the problem of the excruciatingly long load times! And yeah, DCS.exe just sits there idling forever......

Am just going to live with it for now like you, but may do a re-install down the road and activate each module one by one, do a start up and see if i can locate the culprit?

Thanks.

Ok!! Success!!

The very long load times i have been experiencing are indeed to do with one or more of the installed DCS modules i have.

I just went into the Module Manager and disabled everything other than Flaming Cliffs, jsAvionics and Tacview and disabled NTTR and Normandy leaving just Caucasus and Persian Gulf terrains enabled.

Desktop click to Main Menu screen now...... less than 10 seconds!!

I will now be re-enabling each module one by and re-starting to find the guilty modules.

Will post results when done.

Thanks.

So, here are my DCS load time results.

Load time from desktop click to Main Menu Screen:

With DCS 2.5.4 Open Beta, Flaming Cliffs, jsAvionics and Tacview enabled = 18 seconds.

AV8BNA Harrier re-enabled = 18 seconds.

F-14B Tomcat re-enabled = 18 seconds

Breathes sigh of relief as these are the main 2 modules i currently fly!! So no appreciable difference in load times for these 2 modules then? I left the above 2 modules enabled for remainder of tests.

Each of the below modules was enabled, timed and then disabled prior to the next module being tested:

F/A-18C Hornet = 58 seconds.

A-10C = 1 minute 16 seconds.

F-86 Sabre = 43 seconds.

FW-190D = 43 seconds .

Spitfire IX = 18 seconds.

Su-25 Frogfoot = 18 seconds as above adds no additional load time.

Bf-109K = 1 minute 37 seconds.

F-5E Tiger II = 43 seconds.

M2000C Mirage = 18 seconds.

Black Shark 2 = 43 seconds.

UH-1 Huey = 42 seconds.

Combined Arms = 23 seconds.

WWII Assets Pack = 18 seconds.

P-51D Mustang = 1 minute 1 second.

TF-51D Mustang = 18 seconds.

Terrain packs (Caucasus and Persian Gulf already enabled).

NTTR = 18 seconds.

Normandy = 18 seconds.

Then tested time with all 4 terrain packs enabled = 18 seconds.

So it would appear that on my system terrain packs add no additional load time to starting up the sim.

Final results:

It appears then on my system the following 4 modules add an extra 3-5 minutes approx. to the overall load time of the sim:

F/A-18C Hornet

A-10C

Bf-109K

P-51D Mustang

My baseline start up time without the above 4 modules and with Harrier, Tomcat, FC3, jsAvionics and Tacview enabled is between 18 and 43 seconds depending on which additional modules are enabled.

With ALL the modules listed above that i own enabled minus the 4 slower loading ones start up time was:

01:50 minutes.

So in conclusion i will be disabling all modules except the terrain packs, Hornet, Harrier, Tomcat, jsAvionics and Taview in order to keep my load times under 1 minute which i can happily live with.

As expected and as mentioned in an earlier member's post on this thread, the more modules you have enabled, the longer load times you generally experience (system specs dependent of course).

So, if you are experiencing this issue try going into the Module Manager and disbling the modules you use less frequently.

Thanks for all the help and please feel free to add further observations and comments below if you like?

Edited by minimi66
Neatness!

My next step would be to delete the 4 modules you have issues with. Clean the install. Reinstall the 4 modules again (At least F-18 and A-10) and see if it helps.

Shouldnt be to much to redownload and a reactivation won't be needed.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Well yeah it's a bug, I have two of those you mention that are part of the ones which add 3-5 minutes and it's a 10 second

DCS does load some assets it shouldn't have for Main Menu tho, but they're usually not an issue.

Install sysinternals Process Monitor, and make a scan when running DCS with all modules installed, fresh restart first, don't do anything else while it's going, you can filter out the rest by just using DCS.exe and System.exe althought in your case it's probably good to leave default so it scans everything there could be some other exe doing something that's connected to DCS but you would still need disable omission of System, FASTIO, IRP_MJ stuff in the Filters (blue upside down triangle icon), after DCS loads just go out and stop scanning then save the session to PML file, use WinRAR or 7Zip to compress it with the best compression and upload it if you don't want to spend time figuring out.

EDIT: You don't need to upload the file, if it does a lot of loading it may be huge, you can just try to figure out the program, and use the Tools -> File Summary, sort it so it shows time spent at the top, fiddle with it, then take some screenshots of that.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Glad you're working it out, but there is still something not right with your setup.

For me, it takes about 15s to get to the main GUI, and about 25-35 seconds to load, say, instant action missions for any module, any terrain.

I have around 15 plane modules and all terrains installed and active.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

My current example, see even with the usual ~10 second case it's still inefficient in many ways, it loads shapes, textures and effects that I think Main Menu doesn't need at all, including it's trying to read a lot of old obsolete stuff that doesn't exist, this is a smaller crop, the whole list is very long.

SnEdlBD.png

You can see EffectTextures stands out, so if still think the File Time is what I think it is, then it takes more than 0.5 seconds to read 5 Megabytes, that's weird.

But I think I'll go and refresh the FAQ of that program again, since it could be showing how long the file was open, not how long it spent reading it. EDIT: Well I'm not sure, it does say time of all IO operations, probably doesn't show time it was left open but nothing happened.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Yeah i see what you mean! all sorts of weird stuff going on as it loads?

I'll maybe give that program a run at my install and post some results but as you say the list will be very long and not that conclusive in terms of identifying any workable remedy?

Thanks.