Mode S and JHMCS Alignment

Steve Davies

• ED Team

Please, read this. Deezle is correct.

The placement is dead center. Problem is the default view is looking down instead of straight ahead. Center TrackIR while looking straight ahead and the JHMCS will tell you it's pointed like 13º down.

JHMCS is drawn right in the center of the screen. Default view is turned down. This is why JHMCS seems to be misaligned. Aligning procedure won't help with this. I tested in VR and all what you need is to proper align your view.

Jhmcs alignment would not be about centering the jhmcs display on the screen. It would be about making sure that whichever direction you are pointing the jhmcs crosshair would match the direction the planes sensors are pointed.

I’m sure the helmets in real-life have adjustments to correct for the pilots eye placement. But that would be done prior to the alignment and probably just once if the pilots have personal helmets.

JHMCS is drawn right in the center of the screen. Default view is turned down. This is why JHMCS seems to be misaligned. Aligning procedure won't help with this. I tested in VR and all what you need is to proper align your view.

The centre of the screen is not the same as the centre of the player's eyeline.

attachment.php?attachmentid=203434&stc=1&d=1548859287

This screen shot was taken with track IR unplugged and the numpad used to slew the JHMCS to the side.

At a guess, I'd say we should use the 'rule of thirds' and place the JHMCS cursor 2/3 of the way up the screen, but a better way would be to allow players to adjust in game, either via a "DCS>Options>Special" drop down, checkbox, etc. or via simulating DDI/HUD JHMCS calibration.

Note: I'd expect VR JHMCS emulation to require a different cursor position, as VR visual perception is very different to viewing a 2D monitor.

1683342343_FA-18CJHMCSEyeline2_5_4_26552Screen_190130_141852.thumb.jpg.eda6705361bfda45d76eb31dc39319b2.jpg

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Does anyone know if there's a lua file for the JHMCS where we may be able to shift its placement?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

• ED Team

Why? Isn’t it more natural to look to the center of the screen?

Note: I'd expect VR JHMCS emulation to require a different cursor position, as VR visual perception is very different to viewing a 2D monitor.

Do you really need to tilt your head down and look up?

Does anyone know if there's a lua file for the JHMCS where we may be able to shift its placement?

If you displace indication, you can no longer use JHMCS to lock targets. Because aiming cross will be misaligned with helmet LOS

Edited by cofcorpse

Why? Isn’t it more natural to look to the center of the screen?

Apparently not, even though my 100cm screen centre is level with my physical eyeline.

I imagine, whether it's problematic or not, will depend on individual setups and preference.

Do you really need to tilt your head down and look up?

Yes, to put the JMHCS cursor near the horizon/eyeline, I tilt my head back 7.5° real for 13° in game according to TIR, though my setup isn't typical - a 100cm screen (40" LCD TV) at 60cm viewing distance.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

attachment.php?attachmentid=203434&stc=1&d=1548859287

This screen shot was taken with track IR unplugged and the numpad used to slew the JHMCS to the side.

At a guess, I'd say we should use the 'rule of thirds' and place the JHMCS cursor 2/3 of the way up the screen, but a better way would be to allow players to adjust in game, either via a "DCS>Options>Special" drop down, checkbox, etc. or via simulating DDI/HUD JHMCS calibration.

Shifting the JHMCS up to compensate for this is out of the question. Once you zoom in it will slide off screen (like the HMD in the KA-50 does by default).

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

If you position your view where you need it to be in game using trackir, and then hit Ralt+numpad0 it will save that as the default view

There is a way to do this that saves this as the default view permanently, but I don't remember how to do it. Might be something in the keybinds though.

Edited by Vikhrs

Owned Modules: F-16C, MiG-19P, CEII, F-14, Yak-52, F/A-18, SA342, UH-1H, AV8B, AJS-37, F-5E, MiG-21, Spitfire, M-2000C, F-86, MiG-15, 109 K-4, 190 D-9, P-51D, FC 3, Ka-50, A-10C

Owned Terrains: Persian Gulf, Normandy, Nevada

Owned Campaigns: Operation Piercing Fury, Operation Epsom Campaign

Controls: Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR 5

Computer Build: ASRock AB350 K4 FATAL1TY, Ryzen 5 1600, EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW, G.Skill Flare X 32GB 2400

Shifting the JHMCS up to compensate for this is out of the question.

No it is not - as you say, it's done in other modules. There's also no reason DCS's zoom couldn't be shifted to the eyeline but a lot has to do with perception, when zoomed in close to a cockpit instrument or distant object - focus does shift to the centre, however with a typical view with a balance of horizon and cockpit in view, the natural focus is the horizon.

Once you zoom in it will slide off screen (like the HMD in the KA-50 does by default).

Correct, however I'd prefer the JHMCS cursor to be where my eyes are looking at mid range and IRL, rather than when zoomed in.

Moving away from personal preference, etc., with a typical PC field of view (60-90° ?), I'd like the JHMCS cursor to reflect it's real position in 3D space as viewed by a pilot - not the centre position of a monitor where DCS view zooms.

If you position your view where you need it to be in game using trackir, and then hit alt+numpad0 it will save that as the default view

Shifting the view so 2/3rds of the screen is cockpit when looking "eyes level" is not the answer, it just shifts the problem elsewhere - I'd be permanently tilting my head back at 7.5° real to look at the HUD, FPM and horizon (even when not using the JHMCS).

Hence why I choose to set TrackIR without considering the JHMCS cue.

Jhmcs alignment would not be about centering the jhmcs display on the screen. It would be about making sure that whichever direction you are pointing the jhmcs crosshair would match the direction the planes sensors are pointed.

I’m sure the helmets in real-life have adjustments to correct for the pilots eye placement. But that would be done prior to the alignment and probably just once if the pilots have personal helmets.

Not sure how many times we are going to have to go around this topic, but this it the last time I am going to say this: JHMCS is aligned on every sortie.

• ED Team
Not sure how many times we are going to have to go around this topic, but this it the last time I am going to say this: JHMCS is aligned on every sortie.

How much JHMCS indication can be moved from it's default position during such alignment? 1 degree, 10, 30?

This^

Why?

Understood. I'm a fan of your work, for sure. There's a photo of yours that looks like you're in the back seat of an F-15B (or D?) at night landing at Nellis... and the MFCD in the front is illuminated with what looks like Link-16 stuff... just made me long for a full-fidelity, single-seat, C model. :-) How many fast-jet rides would you estimate you've taken? Sorry...off-topic.

Thank you :thumbup:.

Probably around 30 rides total, c. 20 of which were F-15 and F-16. I no longer work as a photojournalist, so with the odd exception where a squadron asks for me by name, that stuff is in the past!

Shifting the view so 2/3rds of the screen is cockpit when looking "eyes level" is not the answer, it just shifts the problem elsewhere - I'd be permanently tilting my head back at 7.5° real to look at the HUD, FPM and horizon (even when not using the JHMCS).

By hitting Ralt+numpad0 you are changing the default camera position of the game. You wouldn't be shifting the view so 2/3s of the screen is cockpit, which unless I'm recalling it incorrectly, is how the view already is by default, you would be putting it where you want it to be. From my own use of this key combo to change default view, it works perfectly. I just center trackir, look up so my view is where I want it to be, hit that key combo, and bam, everything is setup all nicely.

Edit: I guess I should mention that yes, after performing this keybinds, when you look back down, your view is gonna right back where it was. All you gotta do at that point is recenter trackir, and it will center to the new default view you have set.

Edited by Vikhrs

Owned Modules: F-16C, MiG-19P, CEII, F-14, Yak-52, F/A-18, SA342, UH-1H, AV8B, AJS-37, F-5E, MiG-21, Spitfire, M-2000C, F-86, MiG-15, 109 K-4, 190 D-9, P-51D, FC 3, Ka-50, A-10C

Computer Build: ASRock AB350 K4 FATAL1TY, Ryzen 5 1600, EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW, G.Skill Flare X 32GB 2400

How much JHMCS indication can be moved from it's default position during such alignment? 1 degree, 10, 30?

There is no such thing as a default position. I think this might be what is creating the confusion.

The starting position is determined by seat height, how compressed the seat cushion is, and how upright the pilot/WSO is sitting, and probably a range of other things. This is not the same as a 'default' position.

From there, a coarse alignment is made in vertical, lateral and yaw axis based on the crewmember assuming a comfortable seating position. There is no limit (the manual doesn't specify one, at least) as to how much the alignment is corrected.

Why?

That has been very brilliantly answered in pictorial fashion on the previous page!

Edited by Steve Davies

I'm a new member. Ive been around about 2 days, and this will be my last post here. I posted the solution to this issue twice in this forum. All you people seem to want to do is argue about shit that doesn't matter. real life is real life and DCS is DCS. I'm out. bunch of trolls just want to argue and fight with each other. Makes me sick. No wonder DCS is regarded so poorly in all the other flight sim communities. I get it now. Good luck here in land of the trolls.

I'm a new member. Ive been around about 2 days, and this will be my last post here. I posted the solution to this issue twice in this forum. All you people seem to want to do is argue about shit that doesn't matter. real life is real life and DCS is DCS. I'm out. bunch of trolls just want to argue and fight with each other. Makes me sick. No wonder DCS is regarded so poorly in all the other flight sim communities. I get it now. Good luck here in land of the trolls.

The Problem with your solution is that by centering the trackir while looking down in the pit, and then just looking back up, you will have strangeness with deadzones in the trackir profile.

The Problem with your solution is that by centering the trackir while looking down in the pit, and then just looking back up, you will have strangeness with deadzones in the trackir profile.

Exactly what Vikhrs said.

I enable 'save snap views" in the options. I have my FOV set so the DDI are really 5 inches on my 65" screen to get a realistic size of the cockpit.

When I hit "Keypad 5" and "Keypad Enter" this is my default saved center view. This is what my Track IR centers to

Lz8qrP0.jpg

When I look to the right only, no pitch or other movements, this is perfectly aligned with the hud reference.

n4OKFAc.jpg

Hope this helps.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

-snip-

Does this save the view permanently? Currently I'm using Ralt+numpad0 to set a new default camera position, but I have to do it every time I load in.

Does this save the view permanently? Currently I'm using Ralt+numpad0 to set a new default camera position, but I have to do it every time I load in.

Vikhrs,

1) go to: Options---> MISC--->Check mark "User Snap-View Saving"

2) Open DCS and enter the cockpit. Get the view you want ( I will give you mine below)

3) Once you have the view you want, as you have before, press RALT+Keypad 0

4) Close DCS

5) Start DCS and get to the Cockpit you saved. When you first click on "Fly" you will need to press "Keypad Enter" to get to the FOV you saved. I then enter"Keypad 5" to get center. As well as tell Track IR to center(what ever key or joystick button you use) You should not have to use (RALT+Keypad 0) unless you want to edit the view again

6) You should be at the "saved" view.

When you save a snap-view, it makes a folder in your saved games dcs root and edits the snaopviews.lua file

Example of the file location:

C:\Users\Vikhrs\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View

On line 1282 on my snapview.lua that is my saved settings.

Might be different on yours depending on the models you have.

Look for ; SnapViews["FA-18C_hornet"]

The 13th entry is the non vr saved view.

Here is mine (Remember, my FOV is set for my screen, you can try mine or set to your own)

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 100.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -0.238037,

x_trans = 0.130000,

y_trans = 0.000000,

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = -0.000000,

If you have any question please feel free to ask.

Oh, I should mention, do not use regular notepad to edit *.lua files.

I use Sublime Test 3. You can download it here for free https://www.sublimetext.com/3

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

-snip-

Thanks, this is really helpful. Now I wont be fiddling around with trying to get my view setup in those quick missions.

If you have any question please feel free to ask.

Thanks, very useful (it's a long time since I played with the A-10C's snapviews), at least I can calibrate the world to the JHMCS cursor.

The snapview JHMCS 'calibration' does force placing the horizon on the monitor's centre line and so make one feel higher up than the default view.

OTOH it has the benefit that I don't struggle to look over the top of the canopy rail in dog fights (instead I fight with TIR to look at cockpit switches).

I'll need to fly more missions before I decide if the change is for the better but at least it's a workaround.

1979743210_FA-18CJHMCSwithsnapviewsettothehorizon2_5_4_26825Screen_190131_022724.thumb.jpg.7669a1b8dd2b678c48633febf832c0dd.jpg

Edited by Ramsay

I hardly think this thread is full of trolls, its people discussing a topic from various points of views, expectations, levels of experience and understanding with both real hardware and not. You offered a solution that is not workable for most of the people here because of their Track IR curves. I presume you expected the conversation to stop as soon as you posted because you offered the one and only perfect solution... which works for you, but clearly doesn't work for other people.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.