How are new 20 series cards with VR in DCS?

Thinking of upgrading my gtx 970 to something else. I would like to get into VR for DCS and started looking at the new cards out there. How does the 2070s work with VR and DCS? I am currently running:

i7 4790K

Asus Z97-a

EVGA Supernova 750 G2

16 GB RAM

gtx 970

LG Ultra wide 2560x1080

I know my screen isn't 4k, so would the 2070 be overkill? Or would it help with the VR frames to go bigger? Also, I think my power supply is adequate but would love some opinions about it.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

... How does the 2070s work with VR and DCS? I am currently running: ...

Depends on what you mean with "VR". Quite a difference between a Pimax and Oculus headset honestly.

Or would it help with the VR frames to go bigger?
Certainly. Afaik 2080Ti isn't "enough", which is also subjective of course. This is especially true for a Pimax/HP Reverb one.
Edited by Der Hirte

Sorry, I was thinking the Oculus headset.

I want to play DCS in VR, multiplayer and singleplayer, but other games would be on a 1080 widescreen. I don't think I will be getting a 4k monitor anytime soon yet, so looking at the prices a 180ti card is around $1,000 US, while a 2070 is in the $500-$700 range. So money-wise it seems better to go with the 2070, but I didn't know if they are running VR better or worse than a 1080ti.

I know "better or worse" is very subjective as you said Der Hirte, just looking to see if anyone has opinions on which route I should go.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

The 2070 is substantially below the 1080ti in performance . However , the 2080 (non-ti) is slightly better than the 1080ti in most benchmarks and is generally priced in the $700-800 range . I personally plan for a 2080 upgrade for my Rift to enable MSAAx4 to get rid of the shimmering i find so abhorrent . Currently running MSAAx2 and a pd of 1.4 , and the shimmers are still horrid .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Sorry, I was thinking the Oculus headset.

I want to play DCS in VR, multiplayer and singleplayer, but other games would be on a 1080 widescreen. I don't think I will be getting a 4k monitor anytime soon yet, so looking at the prices a 180ti card is around $1,000 US, while a 2070 is in the $500-$700 range. So money-wise it seems better to go with the 2070, but I didn't know if they are running VR better or worse than a 1080ti.

I know "better or worse" is very subjective as you said Der Hirte, just looking to see if anyone has opinions on which route I should go.

Rift is pretty forgiving because of ASW. There are threads in the VR subforum under INPUT/OUTPUT forum where people are discussing flying in VR with 970's. But of course, settings will have to be compromised.

I would think 2080 would be a better investment than 2070. Actually, I think 1080Ti may outperform 2070 (but don't quote me on that)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks everyone I appreciate the info. Yeah I thought I heard the 1080ti is better than the 2070 on other games, but the price for a 1080ti is still pretty incredible. I assume they wont go down either for a long while.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

FWIW, I'm running a 980m (about like a 970) in VR with a rift, and if you compromise on settings it runs "ok".

I'm upgrading very soon, my first though was the 2070. But at this point I'm just going to do the 2080ti since I plan to get the HP reverb which hopefully will be the breakthrough for VR resolution everyone has wanted.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Your CPU may be the limiting factor there is some improvement with 2080Ti over 1080Ti (2080) however I can't say the 2080Ti is worth the expense, yes it is better but at a cost.

Seems currently 1080Ti if you can get one at a good price, followed by 2080 and maybe the Radeon VII then of course 2080Ti.

Still waiting for more user reports on the Radeon VII

The trilogy for DCS is CPU clock, GPU and VRAM and RAM speed.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Everything is all up in the air right now with the next gen headsets, including rift s. That's probably going to disrupt the low end of the market. GPUs that can't drive a pixel density of much more than 1.2 with the Rift are going to be out of the market I think, if you can drive 1.4 or 1.5 you may be still alive, the new headsets may not need as much if any supersampling. I have high hopes for the 2080 but we just don't have a ton of data with this card and the new hmds. None with rift s. If you can score a used rift, there is an argument for a GPU in the 1070-vega-1080 range. Or whatever the equivalent 20xx would be. DCS will need a lot of work to run in high res VR, brute-forcing it has worked up till now but it's not totally clear to me that even the 2080ti is gonna be enough moving forward

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

it's not totally clear to me that even the 2080ti is gonna be enough moving forward

it has to be.

it’s the only fast card developers can test with....

and the only fast card users can buy.

how can it not work?

there are no other options.

I run I7 7700k @5GHz, 32GB DDr4 3600, ROG Strix RTX2080TI and HTC Vive Pro, the 2080TI is NOT enough to enjoy visuals at anywhere near the quality you can on a monitor, not without some form of bodging for dropped frames.

With VR, display requirements are far ahead of the devices that drive them. I see zero point in higher resolution VR until we have Fov rendering at the HMD level or Per-eye SLI support at driver level, or both. Both would be GREAT

I run I7 7700k @5GHz, 32GB DDr4 3600, ROG Strix RTX2080TI and HTC Vive Pro, the 2080TI is NOT enough to enjoy visuals at anywhere near the quality you can on a monitor, not without some form of bodging for dropped frames.

With VR, display requirements are far ahead of the devices that drive them. I see zero point in higher resolution VR until we have Fov rendering at the HMD level or Per-eye SLI support at driver level, or both. Both would be GREAT

This ^.

The GPU power needed increases exponentially as lens res and fov increases in headsets. It's just not practical nor does it exist yet. The nex headsets imo, are not next gen. A true next gen headset is one with revolutionary tech to drive the visuals as well as the performance from a practical perspective. To me, that tech is foveated rendering and accurate eye tracking. Not sure when we'll see this, but that is what's needed, not the linear increase in lens res. and fov.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

It depends. I've played DCS with Rift CV1 and a 1070 without much compromise in details, but pixel density 1 and no AA. Now I've upgraded to a 2070, but not all 2070s are the same: some overclocked 2070s have performances very close to 1080ti, basic 2070s have not. I've found an MSI gaming z for € 450 and to me it's a better choice vs 800+ € for a 2080. I've sold my 1070 for 200 €, so basically I've upgraded my VGA with just € 250. Now I can play DCS in VR with high settings and PD 1.2. My only compromise is no AA and low shadows (but keep in mind that AA and shadows are the most frame-killers in DCS). Performance is very good (smooth as butter and 45 fps solid in almost all the situations) and visual quality with my settings is way higher than DCS standard VR setting. In conclusion: is a RTX 2070 good for DCS in VR? With Rift CV1 absolutely yes! With other more pixelated HMDs I do not know, but I presume neither a 2080ti can get the best out of DCS with a pimax or similar.

P.S. I agree with people saying real 2nd gen is variable rendering and eye tracking. I'm planning to upgrade my CV1 to Rift s, but the difference in resolution is not that much and I plan to do that mainly to get rid of the external sensors that occupy all my USBs (I've got three of them).

Edited by nessuno0505

it has to be.

it’s the only fast card developers can test with....

and the only fast card users can buy.

how can it not work?

there are no other options.

DCS wasn't built for VR.

DCS is complicated to begin with, if you look at the CPU load alone, it takes a beast of a machine to run at 90fps. At that speed, the GPU only has 11ms to render a frame. In VR, it has to figure out which way your head is pointing first, then render the frame *twice* in the remaining time. That ain't easy. I find it amazing DCS works as well as it does in Oculus. No guarantee it'll work that well if you're driving twice the number of pixels

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

@Hixxer, I own a Vive Pro. I have a gaming notebool with a 1070, which is too slow for DCS. I think about upgrading with an external razer core x connected via thunderbolt 3. 2080ies are pretty expensive. I am thinking about pruchasing a 2070. But for comparison, how many FPS do you get in VR or Low graphic settings?

Running a 1080 Ti with a samsung Odyssey at 200% PD (with steam VR, not in game settings). Usually have around 45 fps with mostly high settings. I leave mirrors, AA, and heatblur off. The only time low FPS becomes a problem to me is if it drops below ~35 or so FPS which I haven't seen since I updated from my 1070. Might be worth mentioning that I'm not playing very often on crowded/dense MP servers (usually MP with just a few players).

Keep in mind that Wag's also said a 50% increase in performance is just around the corner.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=237988

With an oculus headset and the upcoming VR improvements in DCS I think you could easily get by with a 1070 or 1080. In fact I know people that are flying with an Oculus and 1080 now and get very playable Frame rates. The only reason you would need a 1080 Ti or 20 series GPU is if you want to get one of the higher resolution headsets and even then I ran my samsung Odyssey on a 1070 just fine with PD set to 1.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

Okay, thanks for the reply. My 2070 just arrived. I tried it with my desktop PC and the oculus. Before I had a 970 installed. Fps was 45. Now I installed the 2070 and the framerate dropped to 40 fps in VR. So there seems to be a whole different bottle neck for DCS in VR. Is someone here who has a higher framerate than 45 in vR? Or who can post the specs for a machine that runs in vR faster than 45 fps?

Edited by darkman222