Custom Mirrors for Helicopter External Sling Operations

Hello guys !

For real training purpose, I would like to know if it would be possible to design and add custom mirrors device to current helicopters ( UH-1 and Mi-8 ) with using DCS great mirrors feature and allowing for customization of size, location and especially tilt and azimuth setting ( binded to a hat switch for instance ).

I’m not sure if it’s possible to alter an official module but as I saw in the mod section, some material are re-used ( i.e UH-1 rotor blades and some parts on the Bell 47 ), I guess it shouldn’t be too hard to add this.

Looking forward to your input,

Hueyman

HESLO-Load-Mirror-external-800.thumb.jpg.98b42fadc485756882b3c71b0779f648.jpg

HESLO-Mirror-800.thumb.jpg.0a145dcc5ae5f58fc053ceaec84325bc.jpg

myy.thumb.jpg.0dce7ec9ba3a012839a61717090f5c7d.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

Hi petsild, thanks for the link !

But the real goal of the mirrors is to work muscle memory with REVERSED actions ( mirror nature ) and keep looking outside ahead, to maintain precise spatial reference so important for precise hovering, something much different thab just looking top down ( vertical reference )

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think I could try to do it myself actually, I model in Blender and texture in SP but unsure if I can alter an official module by adding this. Maybe as a weapon in the weapon loadout configuration in the ME or something similar ? Basically it would just be an object with a mirror on it and the support if that mirror would need to be steerable like a searchlight.

I think Upuaut made a TV Cineflex camera for the Huey a while ago I've heard, it may be a direction ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please do I would be very interested in this!

Is that X-Plane in your pics? How did you get mirrors working?

Thanks mate

:)

Edited by ben1101

i5 4690K, GTX1070, 24GB 1800mhz, HP WMR, Custom FFB helicopter controls.

It's not X-Plane, it's VRM Switzerland, a Swiss company who had developped a fully accurate H125 and HESLO engine, in the Aerofly FS2 simulator, but only works with the full platform ...

https://vrm-switzerland.ch/flight-training-solutions/#features

I tried to know to get the stand alone software but no luck ...

The thing is, with current DCS we're very close to reaching that level ! If we can design and add mirrors to both helos, that would be a great step forward and training tool

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do anybody know how to use the Mirror bitmap in Blender for DCS ? Would like to do it with the new Blender EDM exporter, is it just a glossy material or something else ?

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Getting my way to it, now need to know how to make this as a weapon to choose in the loadout menu, and make the mirror surface work !

Any help much appreciated

2JM7OpS.png

qKfjOCe.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would be so awesome if you could pull this off, Hueyman. Good luck.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

It's not X-Plane, it's VRM Switzerland, a Swiss company who had developped a fully accurate H125 and HESLO engine, in the Aerofly FS2 simulator, but only works with the full platform ...

https://vrm-switzerland.ch/flight-training-solutions/#features

I tried to know to get the stand alone software but no luck ...

The thing is, with current DCS we're very close to reaching that level ! If we can design and add mirrors to both helos, that would be a great step forward and training tool

Oh man thats disappointing! had my hopes up for a second or two lol..

Good luck mate, appreciate that someone is looking into this! Those renders look cool, have you had any luck with repositioning the Mi8 mirrors to test the concept?

Yeah, I wish XP had this too !!

Nothing done yet, several things on the work, modders are helping and maybe we'll get something " official " one day, waiting for some feedback, will let know here if it gets confirmed !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Still investigating..

Some nice people helped me in the Discord and succeed to import an extra mirror layout in the Mi-8.

The way to orient it and so the reflective angle is still unknown to date, if anyone knows or have some tips, please share :thumbup:

Digital_Combat_Simulator_Black_Shark_Screenshot_2020_07.23_-_11_26_51_68.thumb.png.29b47e463168234d19c2ac60ce7e6e97.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kind of !!

I'm getting there !

Tweaked the values for hours ( still cannot get the logic behind it, not just an X:Y:Z strangely, moving one parameter moves everything ..

I flew like this for three hours yesterday and it greatly helps to get the mirror ref. techniques ! To place and pull straight rope !! Amazing ahah

Now my biggest concern is :

- Many thing are not drawn/rendered in the current DCS mirror feature, for obvious performance optimization ... if anyone knows a way to " unlock " it for render everything, that would be great ( yeah I know, perf impact but that's not an issue in this case as I need the buildings, objects and especially the SLING ROPE itself to be displayed as part of the training )

- Adding other sets of mirrors, a biger one in the line of sight of the Pilot, in front and above the main panel to keep good positional awareness ...

As always, any help welcome ! It seems to be an obscure subject ..

Cheers,

Valentin

20200807_194913.thumb.jpg.7002bdfb079dee81cf6913f0e09751b9.jpg

20200807_194929.thumb.jpg.47fa1eb78ab40b63d5aeac33343fa589.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have experiences with the setting of the correction of mirrors at the module Hornet, I know that this is not simple work.

I hold thumbs already you are piece to the success.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Mate thats great!

In the second pic did you manage to swivel the mirror? Is it a matter of inverted translations?

Could you paste a section of the code you are dealing with?

• 2 weeks later...

Cool !

No, fixed settings playing with the .lua values but that's a workable workaround, try this and let me know what you think !

Workable on RIGHT SEAT for slings up to 30m !

Place here : Eagle Dynamics\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts

mainpanel_init.lua

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great project, I hope you'll succeed !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

No... ED would need to improve the mirror shaders to draw everything on it and not just user own helicopter and ground units. We miss the whole map objects and sling line.

Also, would need a convenient way to set it up in site and azimuth with a 4 way hat, or pre-set it in the settings like the Warbirds control surface tabs for instance.

Would really love it, and would prove useful for training.

ok.jpg

Edited by Hueyman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...

A big update like 4/6 months ago I'd say made the whole world displayed on the mirrors, all modules mirrors !

The only thing which is not is... The sling line !!

Very useful for proper mirror ref sling ops.

Please devs, it's the last thing required for us helo craners ! Please make the reflection of that sling rope in the mirror displayed 😉

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/26/2022 at 9:59 PM, Hueyman said:

The only thing which is not is... The sling line !!

That is great news! Thanks for your work and digging. One question - does this mean you CANNOT see the sling line but you CAN see the cargo attached?