MiG-29 HUD simbology missing

Presing

NO numbers in real Mig-29 HUD according to the real manual. I dont know about -+10.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

As Esac_mirmidon said, the real one does not show this number on the HUD. The vertical scan zone is set by rotary knob ΔH and you see the setting there.

I would also say that Presing is right in a way that there is a bug with the numbers showing at all.

However that being said... we should understand that DCS has completely fantasy HUD... For example if I only concentrate distance and vertical scanzone settings. As mentioned, vertical altitude displacement by the rotary knob, however the range is set in real life by where is cursor positioned (no seperate setting the imaginary numbers like DCS) and you actually have range numbers written on the scale....

..I really hope we will see ASM someday..

This seems at bit of an OTT action considering we don't get the actual dial indicator moving in the cockpit.

The numbers in the HUD are there to make up for this lack of modeling. This is a bad case of trying to shoe horn ASM into an SSM model. In other words a bad idea from whoever had that bump on the head.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

The range or distance to target, as far as i know and reading the manual is set with a wheel in the throttle, like the Su-27.

So its possible to select distance to target manually. The way this distance is represented in the HUD, i really dont know.

qTvBN3Z.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

The range or distance to target, as far as i know and reading the manual is set with a wheel in the throttle, like the Su-27.

So its possible to select distance to target manually. The way this distance is represented in the HUD, i really dont know.

That is not how you set the radar zone.

Image from the manual ... as you can read yourself, it says distance is set by cursor (also image of stick), while altitude offset by rotary knob ΔH. You can as well see how HUD looks... HUD repeater also shows the scan line, and graphical relationship of scan zone to horizon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=181574&stc=1&d=1521973805

zonevertical.jpg.d960baa1ad181d6e7cb9f5a8eed4cb53.jpg

In this page it says that the pilot must adjust the distance to target with the KY-31 stick.

But what the pilot is doing is just moving upd and down through the HUD the designation box over the target. So is not strictly a distance adjustment ( like in the Su-27 with the throttle wheel ) but a target designation with the HUD box.

Obviously when you move the box up you are locking a far target, and when you move the cursor down you are locking a close target but, as far as i know nothing is changed in the radar pattern when the target designator box is moved around the HUD. I mean the vertical radar cone volume is not changing with the TD box movement along the HUD.

The things that makes the radar changes are the altitude diferential knob, the radar pulse mode switch, and the radar operative modes dial.

But even im trying to search info about the estimated distance to target wheel ( ala Su-27 ) im not able to find nothing solid about that in the throttle whell mounted on the Mig-29.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But even im trying to search info about the estimated distance to target wheel ( ala Su-27 ) im not able to find nothing solid about that in the throttle whell mounted on the Mig-29.

The wheel on the MiG-throttle is for adjuting the force of the throttle movement !

In this page it says that the pilot must adjust the distance to target with the KY-31 stick.

But what the pilot is doing is just moving upd and down through the HUD the designation box over the target. So is not strictly a distance adjustment ( like in the Su-27 with the throttle wheel ) but a target designation with the HUD box.

Obviously when you move the box up you are locking a far target, and when you move the cursor down you are locking a close target but, as far as i know nothing is changed in the radar pattern when the target designator box is moved around the HUD. I mean the vertical radar cone volume is not changing with the TD box movement along the HUD.

The things that makes the radar changes are the altitude diferential knob, the radar pulse mode switch, and the radar operative modes dial.

No, please reread carefully what it says... let me demonstrate with an image... as you can see, moving the cursor along the range, changes antenna angle!

attachment.php?attachmentid=181593&stc=1&d=1522002318

The roller you are mentioning is used to set distance to target locked when for example radar/eos cannot give it to you to get the PR signal. Imagine it like function of gunsight range on older analogue computing gunsights which was on throttles.

zonevertical1.thumb.jpg.75d04b3f49e4cd734aa058b547bff423.jpg

That makes more sense Vat, so the TD box position in fact changes de radar volume scan vertically. thanks a lot for your replies.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the pictures Vatikus! Very informative. So the "predicted range" setting (numbers displayed at the bottom of HUD in BVR mode) doesn't really do anything besides backup for weak rangeing signal?

So in order to find a far away target at the same height (lets say 5000m)

Move cursor up in the HUD for longer range. Then offset antenna downwards to compensate for the changed antenna angle?

Sounds straight forward, but how should I calculate how much antenna offset is needed?

Edited by Schmidtfire

The Mig-29 was designed to operate under the control of Ground Command Posts sending target info or even taking remote control of the radar.

If the pilot must use radar manual control then he need to guess position of the target with the info available by radio, Intel or just moving the radar until contact.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thx Esac! Not understanding russian language, It is hard to find good info on Soviet aircraft systems. The picture that Vatikus posted has range values displayed on the left in hud.

Range is not shown in DCS, but if the posted picture with range value is correct, I should be able to use it as a rough guide for HUD in DCS?

For example. In the picture, range of the middle line is at 90km. So in DCS if I get AWACS call for 90, I should put target box at the middle line and then adjust for elevation?

Thx Esac! Not understanding russian language, It is hard to find good info on Soviet aircraft systems. The picture that Vatikus posted has range values displayed on the left in hud.

Range is not shown in DCS, but if the posted picture with range value is correct, I should be able to use it as a rough guide for HUD in DCS?

For example. In the picture, range of the middle line is at 90km. So in DCS if I get AWACS call for 90, I should put target box at the middle line and then adjust for elevation?

DCS has wrong simulation, so procedure is different than the examples I have shown.

In DCS, cursor moves on slant range instead of horizontal. So you need to use the following procedure:

Key mappings for Expected range, the numbers show on lower part of HUD.. for example 90. Then you use key mappings for Antenna elevation.

So in order to find a far away target at the same height (lets say 5000m)

Move cursor up in the HUD for longer range. Then offset antenna downwards to compensate for the changed antenna angle?

Oh, boy, no. If it's same height there is no angle! So ΔH set to 0.

You would have to offset downwards if the target was below you. And the further the target the smaller downward offset.

Sounds straight forward, but how should I calculate how much antenna offset is needed?

It's called trigonometry and you don't do that inflight. Just imagine where things should be and search by moving the designator and elevation setting.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Im sorry, trying to wrap my head around this. But having wrong simulation but real examples is sort of confusing :cry:

So in essence, lets say that a bandit is at 60km range:

In DCS predicted target range is set in bottom to 60km (but IRL you would move cursor up to 60km range-bar to set range, predicted range is only for weak signal).

In DCS to adjust for target elevation I will move scan zone up or down.

So in DCS, does the cursor position affect target detection (radar elevation) in any way? Or is it just IRL?

Thanks for your help :)