What a Wally with a Walleye

MeerCaT

From my experience in the A-10C, rightly or wrongly I've acquired the habit of releasing Mavericks while in a nose down attitude pointing towards the target - intention being to help the Mav on its way by giving it a straight line angle of attack to the target immediately from launch.

I don't recommend the same procedure with the Walleye (AGM-62).

Its free-fall bomb not a powered missile - the 'M' in AGM is a lie!

I just managed to 're-collect' the thing after release and turn myself into a smoke cloud ("Pink mist" - ew!).

"M" for Munition...... ( & I don't have and idea(yet) why it's in Missiles in DCS... )

:)

Edited by Hawkeye5

Windows 10,64 bit

Intel Core i7 8700K, 3.7MHz (O/C-4.8)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E

32GB DDR4

GTX 1080Ti,(sometimes 2x with SLI)

2x500GB SSD

1TB Hybrid drive.

Hotas Warthog system +10cm extension

Custom built (3D printed) Collective assy.

Cross Wind Pedals

Oculus S

The M does indeed stand for guided missile (it follows the 1963 Tri-Service missile and drone designation system).

Same goes for the JSOW (though it's got much longer legs).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Thanks, I've not looked into that naming system before.

Inspired me to have a quick glance around the naming system for bombs and came across this: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/weapons/q0166.shtml

In my naivety it still feel like the AGM-62 would be more accurately designated as a "GBU" - Guided Bomb (not self-propelled), Unit - A piece of equipment that can function on its own.

Perhaps the capability to control it post-launch via datalink confuses the matter?

But let's try not to lose too much sleep over it.

Edited by MeerCaT
typo

The Navy itself was confused about what category it should fit in when it first came on-line, especially since the first version of the Walleye entered service right around the same time the Tri-Service Aircraft Designation System went into use.

The Navy eventually dropped the AGM designation for the Walleye, the version we have eventually being called "Guided Weapon Mk.5" As wrong as it is, I think I like AGM-62 better.

Ha :D, such clarity and precision in their naming.

"Big Explodey Thing #12"

:megalol:

Hardware: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WiFi MB, i9-13900K @ 4.3GHz, 64GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 4090 24GB DDR6X, 2TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 11 Pro, HP Reverb G2, Tobii Head Tracker, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Viper TQS Mission Pack, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-15E, F-5E, F-14A/B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, Channel, Syria, Marianas, South Atlantic, WWII Assets Pack