Cockpit Color - German Aircraft

Sodbrenner

Hey everyone.

Couple things first:

- Apologies if this has already been mentioned and i just didnt see it.

- I want to point out that i do not own any of the german aircraft yet, so everything i say is based off of only pictures and videos.

- Since this is a more general subject, i thought it might be better suited in this forum, rather than one of the aircraft specific ones.

So, every time i watched a video or saw a picture of the cockpits of the 3 german fighters, i had a feeling that something just does not look right to me and began some digging and i think i found whats bothering me.

Wrong cockpit colors - atleast in my eyes.

Prior to mid 1940, the Luftwaffe used the grey-green-ish RLM 02 color, however from mid 1940 the black-grey RLM 66 for "all surfaces seen through the windows" was mandatory to better counter glare / relfextions. So atleast from 1941 onwards, all cockpits should be in RLM 66.

Sources i managed to find in various forums are the books "Luftwaffe Colours 1935 – 1945 by Michael Ullmann", Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933-1945 Vol 1&2", "Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933-1945 Photo Archive: Vol 1" by Kenneth A. Merrick und Jürgen Kiroff.

Jürgen Kiroff, the co-author of 2 of these books, owns a company that makes those old RLM colors that are used today for replicas etc.

So for example, here is a replica of a FW 190 D-13 in RLM 66: https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/nachbau-geraetebrett-fw-190-d-13 - which, in my eyes is a quite the difference to what is present in-game for any of the german fighters.

https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/ is a good research site in general, translator needed if you dont speak german.

So in regards to the new upgraded A10C cockpit and the upcoming KA-50 update, maybe that is something that could be worked on at some point in the future.

What do you guys think about it?

• Like 1

What do you guys think about it?
I believe it's a good enough rendition of RLM 66. The ones you show means freshly painted unweathered cockpits anyway. An even darker colour on screen probably wouldn't look that good and there would be complains in the other direction because of the high contrast. You bet there would be, there's always complains about something :lol: .

DCS_Fw190A8_18.jpg

Bf-109-K-4-cockpit-update-1.jpg

Screen_140522_171607.jpg

Unless you are one of those nitpicky ones seeing "problems" everywhere, I don't thing it's that much of a problem a weathered and somewhat lighter shade of the RLM 66 in those cockpits. Still quite recognisable 66 it is and not a single problem to fly those because the colour shade of the cockpit, don't you think? :smilewink:

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Sure, the colors on the replicas are fresher and have a deeper shade but so would the real aircraft coming from the factories, even after say 6 months.

The BF 109 picture you posted is the "worst" for me in terms of color, very light grey with almost a blue-ish hue - on my monitor.

But hey, of course the colors dont change how they fly or make them less enjoyable :smilewink: just adds more immersion - atleast for me :P

Edited by Sodbrenner

The BF 109 picture you posted is the "worst" for me in terms of color, very light grey with almost a blue-ish hue - on my monitor
And your screen setup, calibration, place and lighting and everything might not the problem, right? Cannot be, of course it can't, the problem is never on the user's side, right? Right? Specially for those who come their very first post here to say something's wrong which is the most important thing to say in a place you just arrived :lol:. Yeah, no way it's on user's side, never happened :D .

I just see a slightly lighter shade of 66 with different day time light in my indeed calibrated, 99% sRGB screen, no blueish, no greenish. Just saying :thumbup: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

And your screen setup, calibration, place and lighting and everything might not the problem, right? Cannot be, of course it can't, the problem is never on the user's side, right? Right? Specially for those who come their very first post here to say something's wrong which is the most important thing to say in a place you just arrived :lol:. Yeah, no way it's on user's side, never happened :D .

I just see a slightly lighter shade of 66 with different day time light in my indeed calibrated, 99% sRGB screen, no blueish, no greenish. Just saying :thumbup: .

S!

Agree, you can take 10 different monitors and every each will project colors differently even those which share same LCD panel.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

not to mention that reflected light is the sum of whats hitting it to be reflected ... ie very easy to get different colours in lighting conditions too, which also play into the monitor setup as they handle extremes differently.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

To additional things to keep in mind:

a) with a rather awkward and sloppy way the deferred redering engine works in DCS, for some various surfaces in cockpits are being lit by light going through the airplane structure from below. Thus - shade of cockpit depends on whether you fly over green field, yellow field, or blue water;

b) cockpit global illumination option on/off affects cockpit colours in various ways, from no difference whatsoever in P-51 and 109, through noticeable difference in 190D-9, up to massive difference in Spitfire.

Granted, these are observations from 2.5.5.x versions of the game and we know 2.5.6 brought quite a few changes in gfx department - I already noticed that point a) above has been reduced somewhat in P-51 for example, but haven't tested the others yet.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I think that with ED's new drive to make the lighting more realistic in 2020 and coupled with the PBR that is also in the works,I feel that talented artists will be up for the task of making super accurate cockpits.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle