Loft JDAM?

dresoccer4

one of my favorite pastimes is lofting GBU-12s to see how far I can snipe a target, sometimes getting 15+ miles. good times. i'd like to try this with the JDAM, but can only get them to release when they're between release cues, which means i'm basically right over the target. how do I override that to make it do what i want?

thanks!

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Lofting JDAM does not increase its range, in fact it generally reduces it, hence you’re only able to release when in the LAR. Best range with JDAM is gained by increasing airspeed and altitude, true of both real life and the sim.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Lofting JDAM does not increase its range, in fact it generally reduces it, hence you’re only able to release when in the LAR. Best range with JDAM is gained by increasing airspeed and altitude, true of both real life and the sim.

even if you're going fast and then release at a 45 degree angle? it'd still be fun to experiment with this, which was why i was trying to make it let me do a manual release. do you know how to do that

The problem right now is the JDAM flight model that makes the bomb go slower until it impacts, which is probably the reason why you can't really loft them right now.

are you saying it has a built in retardation function?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

even if you're going fast and then release at a 45 degree angle? it'd still be fun to experiment with this, which was why i was trying to make it let me do a manual release. do you know how to do that

Even in a fighter doing M0.9+ lofting will not yield greater range. The only time lifting can be tactically useful IRL is where the threat environment prohibits any other type of delivery. Which given that a high alt/high speed release will give ranges around 15 nautical miles, isn’t surprising. The short range nature of lofting would almost limit JDAMs effectiveness as it wouldn’t have sufficient flight time to acquire a GPS position or the energy to fly the kind of attack profile the weapon normally uses.

The A-10C doesn’t support any kind of lofting profile for JDAM. It simply isn’t done in reality.

As for the JDAM flight model in DCS, right now it is very simplistic, and rather unrealistic.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

one of my favorite pastimes is lofting GBU-12s to see how far I can snipe a target, sometimes getting 15+ miles. good times. i'd like to try this with the JDAM, but can only get them to release when they're between release cues, which means i'm basically right over the target. how do I override that to make it do what i want?

thanks!

Not a lot of reason to attempt to loft from high altitudes as flying higher kind of defeats that purpose. You could dive-toss since the A-10 is handicapped by speed/energy, but I can’t see much more of a use than that. Your loft method would be much better preserved for low level deliveries, and probably by aicraft capable of scooting across the ground faster than an A-10.

There’s probably a decent chance that the A-10 doesnt include a loft delivery method for some/all the reasons above. I know some aicraft do though, to include LGBs and IAM weapons

Not a lot of reason to attempt to loft from high altitudes as flying higher kind of defeats that purpose. You could dive-toss since the A-10 is handicapped by speed/energy, but I can’t see much more of a use than that. Your loft method would be much better preserved for low level deliveries, and probably by aicraft capable of scooting across the ground faster than an A-10.

There’s probably a decent chance that the A-10 doesnt include a loft delivery method for some/all the reasons above. I know some aicraft do though, to include LGBs and IAM weapons

yeah you're right about the a10 being too slow. however i can release my GBU-12 at a much farther distance than the CCRP cue would have me do, and the bomb then glides towards the target. i dont see why a similar tactic couldn't be used for the JDAM, if only i could release it sooner like the GBU

yeah you're right about the a10 being too slow. however i can release my GBU-12 at a much farther distance than the CCRP cue would have me do, and the bomb then glides towards the target. i dont see why a similar tactic couldn't be used for the JDAM, if only i could release it sooner like the GBU

JDAM doesnt’t just fly a ballistic arc like a GBU-12, that’s why.

JDAM flies a separation manoeuvre after release, and then will follow a specific flight patch to its target in order to meet the selected impact airspeed, heading, and dive angle. It quite literally glides all the way to the target, it doesn’t just fall on a purely ballistic trajectory. Even a Paveway II is ultimately just falling with only some comparatively minor corrections to its impact point.

At present DCS doesn’t model JDAM very accurately, so things like this may not be apparent befcuase the features that would show why it’s the case are not present in the sim.

Spoiler

JDAM doesnt’t just fly a ballistic arc like a GBU-12, that’s why.

JDAM flies a separation manoeuvre after release, and then will follow a specific flight patch to its target in order to meet the selected impact airspeed, heading, and dive angle. It quite literally glides all the way to the target, it doesn’t just fall on a purely ballistic trajectory. Even a Paveway II is ultimately just falling with only some comparatively minor corrections to its impact point.

At present DCS doesn’t model JDAM very accurately, so things like this may not be apparent befcuase the features that would show why it’s the case are not present in the sim.

gotcha. do you think the GBU flight path is realistic how it can glide for so long or is that some DCS magic

gotcha. do you think the GBU flight path is realistic how it can glide for so long or is that some DCS magic

If you mean GBU-12 I’ve not seen anything to suggest it’s not accurate enough. I suspect it’s not as susceptible to losing energy due to early LASER activation as it should be but that’s only minor.

The JDAM have nowhere near the performance they should have, as has been pointed out already they slow down even in a vertical dive, which is simply not possible in reality.

Spoiler