Incockpit Spectator Mode

TomOnSteam

You need to be sure there will not be a problem with a players friends jumping into his enemys cockpit to let him know what they are doing eg "He is above you and starting his attack run. Jink right when I tell you. Good! he has lost sight of you"? This is the reason most PvP servers do not allow F2.

I would like this but I think this needs a box to pop up asking for permission so you have to explicitly allow someone to join you. In other combat flight sims with larger game areas we often did squadron missions deep into enemy territory and it was frustrating to be shot down and have to wait 20 minutes while your squad RTB'd and not be able to be with them. If I remember right, think IL2 allowed you to follow them in an F2 type mode but CloD did not. In IL2 if your squad were in blenheims and you were lucky, it was possible to quickly jump into a gun position of a nearby blenheim before he got too far away. At least then you could share in the journey home (no I am not advocating that in DCS, just reminiscing :-) )

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

it's my private life, don't want someone to see me in cockpit biggrin.gif
Something you are not telling us? :megalol:

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I've kinda done the reverse I get my guest to sit to the left of me get them to put the rift on and take them out in the Huey using just the small screen inset on the main monitor to fly with, occasionally I just need them to look ahead but mostly fine letting them sight see around. :thumbup:

I'm working up to do this in the Gazelle but it's not quite as laid back as the the Huey. :music_whistling:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Instructor's Tool

Just sayin'

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I'm not actually sure about this, since you can download any module on the DCS store easily - for instance, the A-10C can be downloaded directly from its product page: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/modules/dcs_a10c_warthog/

The problem would indeed be activation.

The idea of being able to spectate a player in the cockpit is pretty interesting, though, and I also had some difficulties guiding a friend during a startup sequence.

When I suggested this, it was specifically for training purposes, but I suppose it could also be used for pure entertainment. But I would never expect ED to allow somebody without a license for a module to use the module for riding along with a second player, who does have a license for the module.

Anyway, if the server allows it, you can always join as an observer and lock your camera view on to any aircraft. Again, if the server allows it.

AFAIK this doesn't cause any network traffic for the person flying the AC, and probably at the most the same amount of traffic for the server as any person joining and actually flying an AC.

Anyway, I'm sure ED would have no problem of adding an invite dialog to the UI, to allow a virtual pilot to select an observer on the server and invite him to enter an in-cockpit view. It would be something new, but fairly trivial I believe.

With an in-cockpit view, what would really be different than the observer view now, would be seeing the instruments, which you can actually already do, through the canopy, only with an in-cockpit view you would be able to see them much better.

And with an instructor pointer, as in my suggestion, the ride-along instructor would be able to point to switches etc. in the cockpit to help instruct a trainee pilot.

Voice comms would simply be over TeamSpeak, or whatever comms app the persons agree upon; basically, a non-issue, as numerous solutions already exist.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

+1 very good idea, especially for training purposes

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes a great idea, I had thought it would be great if without having to buy and extra licence that a friend could sit in the back seat even without the ability to touch anything.

Imagine the potential for more F14 sales and more DCS devotees.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great Idea:thumbup:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

• 3 years later...

are we there yet? 😄 Has anything been developed?

In VR - I wish we had this for all aircraft (not just multicrew), with ability to allow / deny joining the cockpit - understandably, requiring a second PC for the spectator so both flying can look where they wish

Something similar to "Your Controls" that MSFS2020 uses

Edited by Dogmanbird

1 hour ago, Dogmanbird said:

requiring a second PC for the spectator so both flying can look where they wish

This would be fantastic, and of course we understand if both will also have to own the module (in other words: the spectator must own the module they are riding shotgun in). 

Also, it would be incredibly helpful if each player in is shown where the other player's cursor (mouse, in VR headlook) is. That way, the players can point out things to each other (I'm thinking instructor/pilot here for all aircraft, not just trainers).

Alas, a more than 7 years old item, with no comment from ED.

Edited by cfrag