is possible fix flaps UP ?

DLEGION

hello guys, is there a way to fix flaps UP in F18?

i mean, for example, when engines shut off, flaps automatically go all down,

when i'm manouvring at low speeds, flaps move automatically,

is there a way to fix flaps in UP position ?

thanks

Why do you want to fix the flaps up? The computer is better at controlling the flaps than the pilot is.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

The Hornet does only have flaps full/half/auto options. Afaik there is no way to make them stay up during flight.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Hornet is a fly-by-wire jet, as such the pilot gets to vote but not order the aircraft do certain things. No, there is no fixed UP position for flaps, there is a difference between AUTO / HALF / FULL setting, during a flight you leave it AUTO.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

so, no way to totally disable FBW ?

everytime i get hit by a bullet or more the jet shuts down, and often i menaged to glide and try land… but the flaps goes full down and its like have a huge airbrake, seems quite nosense not being able to force them up. mah.

so, no way to totally disable FBW ?

everytime i get hit by a bullet or more the jet shuts down, and often i menaged to glide and try land… but the flaps goes full down and its like have a huge airbrake, seems quite nosense not being able to force them up. mah.

In real life I would assume a pilot would be expected to point towards open ground/water and punch out in such a total loss of power scenario and not try and (probably unsuccessfully) recover an aircraft with no power and fading hydraulics.

The fly by wire can not be disabled, the jet is very much dependent on it.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I think - and this is pure educated speculation - that even if you had the flaps raised on the ground and shut down the jet the flaps would slowly lower under their own weight once the hydraulic system was powered off.

The jet is not designed to fly without the engines running, if they shut down its time to get out as you need them to power all the hydraulics for the flight surfaces and flaps.

Its not nonsense at all, if you have no power to operate the hydraulics you are not going to move any flight surfaces... Welcome to realism ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;4184328']The jet is not designed to fly without the engines running, if they shut down its time to get out as you need them to power all the hydraulics for the flight surfaces and flaps.

Its not nonsense at all, if you have no power to operate the hydraulics you are not going to move any flight surfaces... Welcome to realism ;)

well… on F14 (an older plane), i was totally able to glide it from 35000 feet and land it maaany miles away, without any problem.

plus, F18 seems to lose both engine at once at every minor trouble…

but again… i wish NOT to start a topic about why one should do this or dont do this, i just wish to know if its somehow possible or not, thats all.

yep.. i tried everything, but flaps seems to Always come down… i hoped in a sort of "manual pin to fix them up" … but cant find anything like that.

Because there isn't anything like that (Unless the Manual Reversion controls provide such an otpion which I don't know, but they aren't implemented in DCS yet anyways).

but again… i wish NOT to start a topic about why one should do this or dont do this, i just wish to know if its somehow possible or not, thats all.

Well, people answered your question multiple times already. If you don't want to start a topic about the reasons why it is as it is, then you will just have to accept the fact that it is as it is.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

;4184328']The jet is not designed to fly without the engines running, if they shut down its time to get out as you need them to power all the hydraulics for the flight surfaces and flaps.

"2.8.2.10 Mechanical Linkage (MECH). Mechanical linkage provides backup control of the stabilators for pitch and roll control."

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

"2.8.2.10 Mechanical Linkage (MECH). Mechanical linkage provides backup control of the stabilators for pitch and roll control."

MECH mode has been discussed elsewhere in another thread. AFAIK its not implemented currently, and no one knows for sure if it ever will be. Also the suggestion was that it still requires hydraulics to operate so wouldn't be particularly useful in the "dead aircraft with zero power" scenario that the OP described anyway.

Knew it wasn't currently implemented. Haven't seen any suggestion that it requires hydraulic pressure.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

well… on F14 (an older plane), i was totally able to glide it from 35000 feet and land it maaany miles away, without any problem.

plus, F18 seems to lose both engine at once at every minor trouble…

Remember that the F-14 almost has a commercial jetliner wings.

F-14 is basically a b-737-100 with pylons and a gun ;)

:pilotfly:

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you read the NATOPS and look at the controls diagram you will see that the backup controls for the stabilators are just direct controls of the hydro servos.

Noted, thanks.

Ok, for the fourth or fifth time... No it is not possible, don't get shot and you'll make it back to base just fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

You certainly can disable the FBW. Pull the circuit breakers in the cockpit walls port and starboard sides. Voila, FBW disabled. That being said, really no point to do so unless you are trying to do some “super cool flight show / demo moves.” As others have stated, the aircraft knows better than the human, in the majority of situations.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I'm no subject matter expert but from what I gather:

fighters in general, like the f18 is unstable by design. And it uses far more control surface's than what is present on your average Cessna and these aren't connected in a uniform manner either and are constantly moving and shifting sperate from each other a couple of times every second. The computer is what controls this, and if it and the backup computer fails the standing order is that it's time to go for a walk.

I honestly don't think the f18 even have "flaps" in a standard manner but that this instead is to be considered a mode setting for the FCS to adjust and control all relevant surface's for a certain low speed AOA approach.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

• 3 weeks later...