PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

Just one question.

Does the "ring" interfere with the normal operation or grip of the joy and throttle? For instance, for pulling the Warthog joy trigger.

Nope, it doesn't interfere with operation of the TM Warthog HOTAS. I dont use all the switches on the throttle, but I haven't noticed any issue after 2 weeks of use (say 5 hours gameplay).

If you hold your hand in the vertical position, the FCU button pad is on TOP of your index finger. All that is next to the grip is the elastic strap.

I have noticed a few cases where the joystick hid the FCU from the HCU. That was in the Ka-50 and the joystick is on my right side.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

6 weeks since the last shippment. Right?

Any schedule for the next rollout block?

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Didn't find that information in the first post.

I've used Firecats NOW SERVING POST link.

But it doesn't matter, as long as the roll out is rolling again. :)

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Link to the now serving post link?

First page has 51-60 as the current set.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hey Miles,

Good news, my PointCtrl arrived today!

Bad news, for the life of me I can not get it to install the new firmware! I'm sure I must be doing something wrong but what that is has me stumped???

Briefly:

The HMS is plugged in - red light on unit. I've downloaded the latest firmware. I launch the .bat. Double click the white button on the HMS (Ive tried various speeds on the double click). None work. The batch file just closes (no text).

I've unplugged the HMS, reseated it, changed USB ports, restarted it and my PC, tried to reset the HMS. Redownloaded the firmware. Nothing.

Any ideas?

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Hey Miles,

Bad news, for the life of me I can not get it to install the new firmware! I'm sure I must be doing something wrong but what that is has me stumped???

Briefly:

The HMS is plugged in - red light on unit. I've downloaded the latest firmware. I launch the .bat. Double click the white button on the HMS (Ive tried various speeds on the double click). None work. The batch file just closes (no text).

I've unplugged the HMS, reseated it, changed USB ports, restarted it and my PC, tried to reset the HMS. Redownloaded the firmware. Nothing.

Any ideas?

What route does the HMS USB cord take to your PC? I recommend directly connecting it to the PC for a firmware update, if you wasn't already doing that. If it is already connected to the PC without no HUBs in between, I don't have any ideas and would refer to MilesD.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

No

Hey Miles,

Briefly:

Any ideas?

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

What route does the HMS USB cord take to your PC?

Hi Panther, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortuantely it already goes direct to my PC. For good measure I just tried another (rear) USB port on my PC. Still no joy.

I'm not getting any kind of "chime" sound either. When I hit the reset button it gives the disconnecting USB device sound. No matter how quick I hit the reset button. And the black .bat box just closes.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

If you have an international calling plan, give me a call, Its easier to talk through these things sometimes.

Miles

Might be an idea to set up a Skype account which you can PM the address to people who need 1-on-1 support. Much easier/cheaper then trying to call internationally. Plus you can do screen share so you can see exactly what he sees on his screen if needs be.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Hi Panther, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortuantely it already goes direct to my PC. For good measure I just tried another (rear) USB port on my PC. Still no joy.

I'm not getting any kind of "chime" sound either. When I hit the reset button it gives the disconnecting USB device sound. No matter how quick I hit the reset button. And the black .bat box just closes.

Hi, I had this problem and believe it was related to a mouse driver error see link below. After I uninstalled the driver that was showing for pointCTRL rebooted and plugged the HMS back in everything was fine. It's worth checking your drivers and to make sure PointCTRL is showing as "Windows-settings-Bluetooth & Other" as PointCTRLV.1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3975399&postcount=1361

just a thought as I said I had the same problem of not being able to install the firmware.

What route does the HMS USB cord take to your PC? I recommend directly connecting it to the PC for a firmware update, if you wasn't already doing that. If it is already connected to the PC without no HUBs in between, I don't have any ideas and would refer to MilesD.

That a great Point Panther, I will add that to the firmware instructions. The auto updater searches the ports for PointCTRLv1, but it sometimes misses it if its going through a Hub. I have had that exact problem,

Thanks for sharing that.

Might be an idea to set up a Skype account which you can PM the address to people who need 1-on-1 support. Much easier/cheaper then trying to call internationally. Plus you can do screen share so you can see exactly what he sees on his screen if needs be.

Great idea, I talked to my son about doing that on discord. For old guys like RatCatcher and myself, sometimes the old school land line is best. On a similar note, I think I talked to FireCat about possibly organizing online flight nights for those who are active here. I think it may be the only thing that will get me flying again. I do miss it.

Hi, I had this problem and believe it was related to a mouse driver error see link below. After I uninstalled the driver that was showing for pointCTRL rebooted and plugged the HMS back in everything was fine. It's worth checking your drivers and to make sure PointCTRL is showing as "Windows-settings-Bluetooth & Other" as PointCTRLV.1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3975399&postcount=1361

just a thought as I said I had the same problem of not being able to install the firmware.

It's really nice to see everyone jumping in here, it's truly appreciated by many. Hey FireCat, any more thoughts on organizing an online flight night.

Hi Kaltokri,

I know shipping has been slow, but I learn something from each new user that can improve PointCTRL for everyone. I then take the time to make the improvements before the next batch ships out.

Thanks for understanding,

Miles

Edited by MilesD

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hey Miles,

Briefly:

Any ideas?

A follow up to RatCatchers HMS not updating. After we finished talking at length about the glory days, we tried it on a laptop and it updated. I got confused and gave wrong info on the beeps. I have to check the documentation.

Standard Reset One press and release of the white button. Two quick chimes will sound 1 second apart. First chime is PointCTRL disconnecting, followed immediately by a second chime which is PointCTRL reconnecting and rebooting

Firmware Update Double press the white button. Two, single chimes separated by 8 seconds. The First chime is PointCTRL disconnecting, it then waits 8 seconds for a firmware update. If no update is performed after 8 seconds, the second chime sounds, and PointCTRL resets and reboots immediately. If performing a firmware update, after the update is performed the second chime will sound and PointCTRL will reboot with the new firmware.

We will have to wait and see if it updates on his desktop PC. I suspect there may be a com issue with the USB ports recognizing PointCTRL between the beeps while in programming mode on RatCatchers system. if anyone has had any issues with firmware updates, please tell.

Thanks,

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

just a sidenote, pressing the spacebar (as any key) did close the firmware update window for me without updating.

forgot to mention it here because using enter/return worked then.

so u may try other keys!

Edited by FoxDelta

Morning All,

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to all with their help and suggestions. Special thanks to Miles for your time last night (early evening for you???). You are a true gent!

I haven't had chance to fully explore doing the update on my PC. (I did try and run it again and it just exited as before, but that may be because it's already updated???).

Great idea about using Discord (this may come as a bit of a shocker Miles, but I actually use it... and they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!!

Might be especially helpful for those of us that think they are calling Miles on their WhatsApp but in fact, was calling on their mobile (cell) phone account. music_whistling.gif

I'm currently negotiating with Vodafone who may waive the 1hr 6 minute international call I'd inadvertently made... Currently in full "humble pie" "gee I'm dumb but think you're a great company" mode.:helpsmilie: LOL!!!

Edited by Ratcatcher

OK, a very quick update!

Just launched DCS and went into a quick start mission (FA18 Carrier Launch). Didn't calibrate or mess with anything. Clicked a few buttons (already forgotten the instructions LOL) and hey presto! It only bloody works!!! biggrin.gif

I was clicking controls, flipping switches and even rotating dials within seconds. The only immediate thing I noticed was the cursor was a bit jittery (which I'm guessing I can sort through calibration?). Sorry for the rushed post, but I really need to go to work but just wanted to say, Miles, though you may deny all knowledge, IMHO, you Sir, are a genius!

Until you actually use them you can't really know how good these are going to be! Congrats!

Edited by Ratcatcher

Glad to hear you’re getting somewhere RatCatcher!

Btw Miles, can the jitteriness be caused by IR interference from windows and incandescent lights etc?

Edit: A PointCTRL discord would be a great idea I think. Free us from this forum a bit. And it’s good for doing international support without racking up huge bills, not that any of us would do that:thumbup:

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I'm currently negotiating with Vodafone who may waive the 1hr 6 minute international call I'd inadvertently made... Currently in full "humble pie" "gee I'm dumb but think you're a great company" mode.:helpsmilie: LOL!!!

Crap, and there I was, blathering on. Am I reading the Vodafone rates wrong or is that a 262 quid charge. Please let me know if they don't waive the fee. U.S. international law requires that I pay 50% of those charges.

Today's priority is getting my son to set me up on Discord so this does not happen again.

I honestly don't know why I have a problem figuring out some apps. I think My brain is wired rather oddly. I intuitively visualize the movement of electrons and the magnetic fields through circuits and the elements inside of semiconductors at the atomic level. But when I fire up my cell phone, I stare at it for a long time before I can remember how to make a simple phone call. I sign up for discord, log in, and I am stuck just staring at the screen, just like my cell phone. And don't get me started on spelling.

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Glad to hear you’re getting somewhere RatCatcher!

Btw Miles, can the jitteriness be caused by IR interference from windows and incandescent lights etc?

Edit: A PointCTRL discord would be a great idea I think. Free us from this forum a bit. And it’s good for doing international support without racking up huge bills, not that any of us would do that:thumbup:

Good point Deano

Yes, if the IR survey shows any stray IR light and that stray IR source is closer to the center of the field of view, the cursor will jump back and fourth to which ever source is closer to the center of the FOV. It can also jump if you are using a Steam Base Station, but even then, you have to be pointing and looking directly at it.

I think RatCatcher is referring to the precision of the cursor, which I am not completely satisfied with either. While it does the job now, I am working on improving it. I have three methods that can be used in any combination and are showing promise. I am still working through them and don't want to hold up shipping for non critical improvements.

To be honest,with me, its kind of like the the screen door effect, you only notice it when you are looking for it. But there is still some low hanging fruit left, so it will definitely get better. Our sensor can be optimized for 4000 x 4000 resolution which is greater than the Reverb can display.

That being said, I have had some bad sensors with defective pixels. I personally test each PointCTRL before shipping, but I am sure defective units will slip though. If your resolution does not match what you see in the videos, then please let me know, because there is a problem. Another use for discord screen sharing.

@ RatCatcher, Thanks for bringing up the cursor resolution. That type of feedback is helpfull to everyone. Others probably noticed the same thing, but because it was posted, I am able to share where we are going with it.

Thanks Deano and RatCatcher

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hi Miles,

Its not that bad, they charge £2.00 a minute (which is staggering but works out at £120ish), however weirdly the guy on the phone stated it was only £20 as I had put a cap on max spending on the account. He also said that when the bill is generated I can phone up and plead my case which may see them reduce it still further.

Either way, its very kind of you to offer to compensate my stupidity, but unnecessary as whatever I finally have to pay, it will be a sage reminder that in future I check to ensure what I am doing is in fact what I think I'm doing!

Back on topic, I think its a great idea to get a Discord channel up and running and would love to try some online flying with you all. Will have to see if my internet is up to it but would certainly like to try. :thumbup:

@Deano87. That could be a good shout, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't really thought about possible bleed through of light at the time as it was just a quick and dirty flight but having remembered Miles video on IR sources it may well fit the profile!

Got my PointCTRL's today, install was a breeze on the Oculus CV1, no issues there.

Calibration still took me about three tries to get right. First one was my fault, I just fired up into calibration without starting a mission, menus don't work well for it. Second time the FCU timed out before I got the bottom target correct because my joystick was in the way.

After that, everything working. Going to take me a moment to get used to the mouse wheel stuff for parking brakes and wing fold, but otherwise was clicking away in no time.

I'm also getting a little jitter, it helped when I turned the IR LED brightness to max, charging the FCU's now to see if that fully resolves the issue. I did an IR interference, but the only IR it sees is the FCU (which makes sense, I have a single window 30ft behind me, and it is currently very overcast). When I brought the FCU closer to the HMD the jitter stopped and all was well. Will let you know if I have issues when I fly with a group of guys tonight.

So far, so good! Thank you sir!

Got to fly tonight for a couple hours with some BuDs.

In a word, Awesome! I still found myself reaching for the mouse a couple times out of habit, then going "No, I don't need to do that...".

Cold start was awesome, reaching for the switches. Slowly getting the hang of the mouse wheel option. But just reaching around to close the canopy, turn on oxygen, crank the engines, etc... exactly what I was hoping for!

I will be unbinding gear and flaps from my HOTAS, no need anymore. Was a little worried about hitting those as quickly as I could with a bound switch...was not an issue at all to do so. Super easy and much more immersive. Simply superb.

So, crits/suggestions after using it for a couple hours (as promised).

The mouse wheel option threw me, I thought it would work where I hold the button down, and then move my hand up to scroll up, and down to scroll down, with how high or low I moved it from that point being how fast it scrolled. I totally get your implementation now that I've used it, but took me a bit to re-program my brain to recognize it.

Calibration...honestly not that bad. I did watch the video, and my issues were pretty minor. (Starting it before being in mission, timing out because my joystick was in the way, etc). Overall install and calibration went pretty smoothly.

Oh, and my previous comment about jitters, still had some after charging, but much improved.

Thank you MilesD, awesome product!