Wrong pylon being used when firing missle?

Worrazen

Hello

I'm not sure yet about this plane to know whether something's a bug, I'm very fresh started with Mig-21bis after years of planning to do so, but here I am finally.

I was following the training mission for missiles, and I selected pylon 3 as instructed, but it seemed to fire from pylon 1 and then missile did not hit the target, I fired again without changing pylon selector knob, and it fired from pylon 4, it was the SAHR mode missiles. The missiles worked fine and the second one hit and destroyed the practice target.

If from left is pylon 1 to 4 on the right, right?

Tnx

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

The two pylons on the inside near the belly of the plane are 1 and 2. Your left inner wing is pylon 1. Right inner wing is 2.

The two on the outside are pylons 3 on the left and 4 on the right.

So in your situation selecting #3 would fire the far left pylon first.

I went again and yeah it says to place it on number 3 and the first pylon on left is number 1, which is I guess counting from center, and the first from the right is number 2 ...

So it's like 3 1 2 4 (if we ignore the others), but I think that doesn't match with the loadouts page, oh well.

I just didn't seem to get IR stuff working, so I made a new fresh mission with only IR missiles and will try if I can get a lock there, i mean, those green lights and sound to fire up, since I never got that whatever pylon I selected back in the training mission.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Remember that the station selector and IR / SARH switch are only priority selectors, with the IR /SARH switch on a higher priority as the station selector. So with a mixed load out, the switch needs to be placed to IR, to fire an IR missile, but the station selector could still point to a station armed with a SARH missile.

However, it is still beneficial to use the station selector, so that you can avoid asymmetric loadouts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I made a custom test mission now.

I used only R-3S which are IR. Selected Pylon 3, it did fire from pylon 3 on the first time but proceeded to fire from all other pylons if I kept firing. I didn't lock on with the radar. It takes sometimes precise alignment but the "LNCH" light shows up whenever the lockon sound plays.

No green lights.

Then I used only R-3R. I locked on with the radar and there was a lockon sound shortly after. However no LNCH light, and no LNCH or HR lights in the radar, no green lights either. After getting closer then the LNCH light would fire up, and LNCH and HR would light up in the radar, but no green lights, while the sound keeps playing. On more occasions seems like the LNCH light lights up much later when getting closer to the target, while LNCH and HR on the radar were lit up way before.

Okay so now I know that sound is from the missiles, not from the radar, and it's the same sound.

If that's how it's suppose to be then fine, I don't know, but the only thing left is the fact that it keeps firing from all pylons, so the selector doesn't do anything other than selecting between single or pair, for both of these missile types. That doesn't seem right hm?

I'll test with other missiles now.

I don't fully understand it yet because I haven't done mixed loads yet, apart from the stock training mission. I was reporting on what I was doing earlier with non-mixed loads.

EDIT: Allright so the weapon selector only means which pylon fires first, if it's the correct type, it'll keep firing from other pylons if the selected one is empty. A bit unexpected to work like that, but whatever.

Yeah I tested the priority now, the lock won't work unless I select IR, and I purposelly selected a wrong pylon, it still fired the IR missile from the other pylon, again I wouldn't it expect to work like that, interesting.

Edited by Worrazen

Okay, again: The station selector is a priority selector only. For your case of only IR missiles, it will fire the selected station first, then all the others. With only IR missiles attached, you could even place the IR / SARH switch to SARH and still fire all missiles.

The green lights are not working with the R-3 and R-13 series of missiles, only R-55 and R-60.

Regarding the launch lights: The one on the radar will light up when locked onto a target and within launch zone (gap in the horizontal line). The launch light on the ASP will light up on a fixed distance, however I do not know if this is currently working as intended and I would suggest ignoring that one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I recently bought the MIG21 and I am enjoying it so far. Instead of opening a new thread I wanted to ask if you could review my problem. Also related to the wrong missile being fired.

Loadout

Outer pylon 3-4: R-3R Radar guided

Inner pylon 1-2: 2xR-60M

Situation

I am behind the enemy aircraft with a Radar Lock. I want to fire 2x R-60M.

Setup

Master Mode in Air, missile mode to IR (CC), ASP Mode: Missile + Shooting + Auto + Gyro (also tested with CC). Pylon selected 1-2.

First Run after Cold&Dark

Everything works as it should. 2x R-60Ms out, rtb and reload.

Second Run after reloading with same settings

Locking an enemy aircraft and now the Radar gives me the red markings for launch authorization. Though I have the inner pylons selected and the missile mode is still on IR (CC) not SAHR.

The aircraft would fire the R-3Rs now instead of the R-60M.

"Troubleshooting"

Turning the missile mode to SAHR and back to IR and everything works like the first run again. My question: Is it a small bug related to the reloading process or is it accurate?

Thanks in advance

Julian

Edited by TomatoSalad83

Sounds like a problem with reloading not recognizing that IR missile types were added since depleted. I don't know if arming the airplane while the engine is running is a valid practice. Does the issue happen with a full shutdown and new engine/electrical start?

During a normal sortie if pylons 1-2 were selected and fired R-60s would fire and the next firing would be the R-3Rs no matter what the missile preference switch settings were (moved or not). It's perfectly correct for the airplane to fire missiles other than the SAR/CC type or pylon according to switch positions under certain conditions.

Realistic is a hard question because you'd have to know how the system works in some detail. Probably it's best if the developer used the rearm event as a prompt for the missile selection system to reset and reach a brand new conclusion of which missile is selected.