Degraded Su-27 aerodynamic lift - Page 22 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #211
GGTharos
Veteran

I think you're misinterpreting some things - these aren't hard limiters like the FBW on the M2K. They're there to provide awareness. All pilots are fairly experienced by the time they drive a flanker and the exact utility of these devices is taught to them.

You can expect any flanker pilot to pull right through this the moment they want to rate, especially at lower airspeeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWasp View Post
In my opinion the purpose was to enable experienced pilots to get that last little bit of performance out of the aircraft at the expense of safety.

I think what the authors mean by that statement is that generally it does not worth the risk to go beyond limits. But also I have never seen an aircraft manual, that says: yea just go disregard any limits, it will be good for you

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
Old 03-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #212
Vitormouraa
Veteran

Thank you guys.

Quote:
In one of my previous posts I have already given you the page number (14\269) where it clearly states the AoA limitations depending on Mach number. (Cannot upload from my tablet sorry)

Also, again I am aware of the basics.

I think that the purpose of a limiter should be to hold the limitations Also, since pulling through the limiter might be dangerous, I don't think that it was meant to be overriden by the average pilot all the time.
Looking forward to seeing what you have for us once you get back home. I'm here to learn, as I am not good at pointing out what's wrong with the FM or anything about aerodynamics. I find this discussion interesting and I'm very interested in seeing the DCS FM compared to the real thing.

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Old 03-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #213
HWasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTharos View Post
The rule is to not use direct control (which some people use in dogfights! In a dogfight, realistically, you probably wouldn't be reaching for that switch anyway - and it isn't necessary either). The limiter can be pulled through by applying more force to the stick ... no need to turn it off RL.
I thought that was not something they do IRL

One day I have had a long, guns only dogfight session with a friend of mine flying the Su-27 and I have found out that the best way to win the game is to go direct control before take off and switch it on for the landing only (IF there is a landing)

The plane is extremely responsive in that config, but of course I would not even think about it in a real plane.

My observation is that the limiter is too restrictive and it holds the aicraft way too far from it's real capabilities. In my opinion this might have something to do with the constant 22 deg AoA limit...
Old 03-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #214
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

Correct Ironhand.

The speed on the stick deflection is something the limiter takes in count to activate the extra force needed. And is a sum of all this things, shaking, extra force-sttifening, and in the edge a force to the center that must be counter also.

More precisely i think is the speed in the amount of G or AoA increasing at any given moment.

Another thing is Direct Control. If by this you mean turning off the FBW ( the famous S key in DCS ) this is completly FORBIDDEN in the manual. Is extremly dangerous and you can crash the plane very easy.

Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6 - GTX 1060 EXOC KFA2 - 16 Gigas RAM 1.600 - 1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55 - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - Track IR 4

Last edited by Esac_mirmidon; 03-01-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #215
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esac_mirmidon View Post

Another thing is Direct Control. If by this you mean turning off the FBW ( the famous S key in DCS ) this is completly FORBIDDEN in the manual. Is extremly dangerous and you can crash the plane very easy.
I don't go anywhere near that switch except for demonstration purposes. It's a good way for the unwary to lose the aircraft.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #216
Alfa
Veteran

Quote:
I think that the purpose of a limiter should be to hold the limitations Also, since pulling through the limiter might be dangerous, I don't think that it was meant to be overriden by the average pilot all the time.
AFAIK the F-15 doesn't really have one and in the MiG-29 there is no separate switch to turn it off - it is just stick pull through. In the Hornet there is a paddle switch on the stick that allows overriding the limiter by pulling it at stick position close to full aft.

Don't really see why overriding the AOA limiter should be less permissable in the Su-27 - aren't we confusing it with disabling the FCS as such(direct control)?

Edit: what Esac_mirmidon said
Old 03-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #217
GGTharos
Veteran

Or your BFM is poor ...

Quote:
My observation is that the limiter is too restrictive and it holds the aicraft way too far from it's real capabilities. In my opinion this might have something to do with the constant 22 deg AoA limit...

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
Old 03-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #218
HWasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTharos View Post
Or your BFM is poor ...
That may well be

But still, back to the manuals.

1. The flight envelope on pg 20/269 shows that 8 g is available for the airframe at around M 0,46 (550kmh) at 21400 kg (this should be absolute max. with limiter override)

2. The other graph at 51/269 shows max 6g at 600 kmh and 8 g at 740 kmh (Much less, obviously)

In my opinion this means, that pg 20 shows the values without the limiter and pg 51 shows the operational values, with the limiter.

If that would be true, then the problem is that the plane does not reach the values according to the pg 51 graph.

In this case I can not understand why the limiter would not increase it's limit to 24 deg according to the Mach vs AoA limit on page 14 so that it could meet the performance data on page 51.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #219
HWasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esac_mirmidon View Post
I´m not sure about your last statement.

In the Su-27SK manual also there are a explicit reference about "Turning Off the limiter during acrobatic maneuvers doesnt give any apreciable gain in maneuvrability and is possible to make the plane stall or exceed the load limits"
Having a huge margin would disagree with this statement from the manual.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #220
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

What margin are you talking about?

There are an AoA-G limit the pilot can bypass with brute force on the stick ( 17 Kg ). Turning off the limiter is not increasing the maneuvrability of the Su-27 in an appreciable marging and is making the flight more easy to enter a stall or spin or overstreesing the airframe. That all.

You can bypass the limit for extra AoA or G in some circunstances just pushing or pulling more on the stick, knowing the danger you are taking, but the benefits are marginal and the danger, big.

Also there is a big difference between the limiter logic in the former Su-27. and the newer Su-35 ( also i think the Su-27SM series). In the original versions the logic was some sort of a fixed value for a fixed weight, but in newer Su-27/Su-35 versions this limiter logic is much more "inteligent" and dynamic taking in count more parameters for beeing more precise at different weights, speeds, maneuvers, etc.

Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6 - GTX 1060 EXOC KFA2 - 16 Gigas RAM 1.600 - 1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55 - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - Track IR 4

Last edited by Esac_mirmidon; 03-01-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Closed Thread