Hornet...the real thing !!!!!!

sascha01

such a beautiful crature!

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Ironically, the type of Hornet common here in Europe is very docile compared to Wasps. They are big though.

I was going to post that too. European wasps are aggressive bastards, Hornets are just big. IIRC they've also got a milder sting.

They are however as loud as hell.

The worst thing about them is when you hear them near you but cannot see them, outside isn't too bad, but inside the house is just horrible.

I was going to post that too. European wasps are aggressive bastards, Hornets are just big. IIRC they've also got a milder sting.

They are however as loud as hell.

The worst thing about them is when you hear them near you but cannot see them, outside isn't too bad, but inside the house is just horrible.

Strange.. In Italy this type of hornet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hornet) is also quite feared: they are known to attack passers-by (if getting too close to the nest). Around Rome, they're called ammazzasomari ('donkey-killer'), as legends wants that more than a few stings could kill a donkey..

Some summers ago I had to install a protection on the chimneys in my house, as we found a few nests, and believe me you do not want them flying inside your house..

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus

Ironically, the type of Hornet common here in Europe is very docile compared to Wasps. They are big though.

European hornets are the biggest I believe. Bigger than the ones in Asia. Go figure... :D

I've heard Asian hornets were more aggressive and dangerous though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

European hornets are the biggest I believe. Bigger than the ones in Asia. Go figure... :D

I've heard Asian hornets were more aggressive and dangerous though.

Just found out about the Japanese giant hornet... Jeeeez!

1D9342A700000578-4954680-image-a-19_1507287702230.jpg.55c5ffffe6e38d0add4082d4459d4866.jpg

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus

I can clearly remember years ago when my father found one of their nests inside the garage roof, those big, red hornets (we call them Cow Hornets) I can clearly remember their disgusting red body with some yellow parts in the middle. Heard many bad things about them back then like how their bite can be so painful, or it can even disable the kidney.

Can't remember how my father got rid of those hornets, as he had to get so close to their nest to get his car out.

In Canada we consider Hornets to be the black and white bastards with the worst bite. Wasps are Yellow and black, don't hurt as much but it isn't a party I tell ya. That giant Japanese thing would have me running for my 12 gauge.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

How does it fare in BVR against say the M2000? Have you tried strapping some AMRAAMs to that sucker? How about WVR? I'd imagine it has a pretty good turn rate

It has a pretty mean turn circle radius.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I (unfortunately) have a fair amount of experience with the european Hornet, having a nest in my roof for a while. Ive been stung a couple of times, usually by accidentally standing on one crawling around on my carpet in the dark. I can say with some certainty that their sting is significantly worse than a normal wasp sting... But I've found them to be very docile when not being provoked (ei not being stood on) I've had one flying around my living room several times and I've found them much less aggressive and less likely to get "in your face" as a normal wasp does. They don't like rapid movements but overall I didn't mind them too much.. Glad to have the nest removed though!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Ok ok so not on subject and yet yes it actually is.

A mean and deadly bug and does not know the word giving up brrrrrrrr:D

That looks a lot like the Japanese killer hornet.

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

Geeze laweeze... I would run away screaming like a little girl if that thing landed on my hand.

Lucky you it is manipulated image :D

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Largest nest that I have removed was 30cm diameter and 80cm long, that and few soccer ball size nests as well.

But if I would need to go destroy that in a video.... Nope.... Not for me!

I already felt so bad to kill those other nests (almost yearly job is to take couple soccer ball size nests away) as I just used first chemical (one used in shuttles) that is a nerve gas for them. It is nasty stuff as once you spray it in the air, it takes 10-15 seconds to effect, first they start to fly wildly like being drunk, as they can't anymore maneuver but fly straight, then they start to do crazy maneuvers as they can't anymore control themselves, in 30-40 second time after exposure, they will drop as they can't anymore fly and 5-10 seconds from that they will start to convulse and it takes a 10 to 30 seconds until they die, slowly.

Your heart will bleed out as you are a mass murdered with a chemical compound that they can't fight against... I would let them live happily somewhere near the buildings, be it a tree or a rock, but not in our on buildings. They don't do harm to you as long you don't either step on them or start to wave at them when flying near. Of course it requires little nerves to stay calm when sometimes some land on your face or hand but "slow is good" is good to remember, as you can guide them to fly off somewhere else.

Took this one down last year. About basketball size.

VCPt3u5.jpg

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hmm, the liberal usage of insect spray in a room without some kind of breathing mask seems like a bad idea.

With the open exterior door right there, I doubt there was much risk. Those sprays are generally quite heavy and not a fine aerosol. I would have still done it in the dark with red lights.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Lucky you it is manipulated image :D

Actually, that could be an asian hornet which gets to be nearly two inches long.

Actually, that could be an asian hornet which gets to be nearly two inches long.
Short range photography (with wide angle lens) to cause perspective distortion. Then look at the legs etc, it is standing in air.

I don't say those big ones don't exist, just that photo seems to be manipulated.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

• 4 months later...

Excuse me for my ignorance about the subject but here in Brazil, perhaps South America too, I've never seen Hornets like that, personally, I've never heard of any here where I live, I'm assuming these insects are more common in North America.

But I do have a question that always pops up when I see them, are they really dangerous?

I do understand when people say they want to run away as fast as possible if they saw one, I think I have entomophobia because I freak out when I see an insect that is bigger than 2cm. :D

Bees are cute though. But the ones here in Brazil came from Africa, which is kind of aggressive as far as I know.