DCS Update Patch Notes Discussion Thread

NineLine

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.5 in the coming weeks is for me the greatest thing on top of the harrier and the news that VULCAN API is in the plans. No new videocard next year.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

2.5 in the coming weeks is for me the greatest thing on top of the harrier and the news that VULCAN API is in the plans. No new videocard next year.

My knowledge in 3D programming area got rusty but a change such as migrating to a new 3D API basically requires to rewrite the whole rendering engine. On top of that there is a substantial difference in approach between DX11 and APIs with more direct access to GPU like DX12 and Vulcan.

The point is that it's a great news but it's going to be a huge effort thus probably we'll have to wait quite a long for it. Probably not sooner than a new iteration of EDGE engine.

A similar example can be the Battlefield 1 which implemented the DX12. Even for DICE/EA with their enormous budget it was such a big and risky move that they maintained DX11 as the main API for the time being, providing DX12 support as experimental. It occurred to be a smart decision as the results had not been perfect. With DX12 the performance was generally slower than on DX11 whilve the quality of visuals generally stayed the same.

Good luck to ED. It must be an interesting time and a challange for the 3D programmers working in ED :thumbup:

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

My knowledge in 3D programming area got rusty but a change such as migrating to a new 3D API basically requires to rewrite the whole rendering engine. On top of that there is a substantial difference in approach between DX11 and APIs with more direct access to GPU like DX12 and Vulcan.

The point is that it's a great news but it's going to be a huge effort thus probably we'll have to wait quite a long for it. Probably not sooner than a new iteration of EDGE engine.

Good luck to ED. It must be an interesting time and a challange for the 3D programmers working in ED :thumbup:

Total renderer rewrite indeed.

I dabble on an off with an old games programming book whose core theme is a small + simple RPG game engine with rendering in DirectX 7 (v.old!).

I've swapped it out for a modern-ish implementation using OpenGL 4.5, and they're vastly different.

That said, I know with 1.5/EDGE ED did deliberately decouple the renderer code from the rest of the application in order to allow swapping it out later, so they've made their lives a bit easier there.

Did someone notice AI fighter planes to shoot their missiles in all directions without any criteria?

I had two different air to air encounters with mig 29 and they always shot their missiles to "ghosts".

Total renderer rewrite indeed.

I dabble on an off with an old games programming book whose core theme is a small + simple RPG game engine with rendering in DirectX 7 (v.old!).

I've swapped it out for a modern-ish implementation using OpenGL 4.5, and they're vastly different.

That said, I know with 1.5/EDGE ED did deliberately decouple the renderer code from the rest of the application in order to allow swapping it out later, so they've made their lives a bit easier there.

Hopefully, a change to Vulcan API means that DCS can be run on Linux. I really hope it can be done as I can once and for all say goodbye to Windows.

Hopefully, a change to Vulcan API means that DCS can be run on Linux. I really hope it can be done as I can once and for all say goodbye to Windows.

It's not enough and changing the renderer would be a small part of it. Building or actually migrating to a version that works for both systems would require a tremendous effort and even if taken the maintenance would just sky rocket. Not even mentioning the issues with support to all input devices and peripherials. Absolutely not worth it!

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Ok, so I JUST saw the KC-130 tanker!!! Did everyone know but me? I didnt see any note in the changelog. Found it by chance five minutes ago! Kudos!

Too slow though, get hard to refuel at 280 knots top.

Ok, so I JUST saw the KC-130 tanker!!! Did everyone know but me? I didnt see any note in the changelog. Found it by chance five minutes ago! Kudos!

Too slow though, get hard to refuel at 280 knots top.

Yeah, you are late to the party. I can connect when the tanker is going 200 knots; it's hit or miss how slow it flies regardless of the settings.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

That means Harrier in Open Alpha then. Fingers crossed.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

That is the goal.

That will be so sweet!!!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

The black models in the 1.5.8 encyclopedia are already fixed.

really ?

there was an update ?

i need to check that :music_whistling:

edit: okay, i see now, thanks...updating

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3304547&postcount=61

Update 2017-12-01

DCS 1.5.8.12265 Hotfix 1

UI background music will not play in multiplayer game.

Crash with spawn of four AV-8BNA on Tarava - fixed.

Сrash caused by deactivation of the ship which has AV-8BNA on it fixed.

Crash caused by addition of the ship route on F10 map was fixed.

The textures of 3D models in the encyclopedia restored.

The crash with flight.dll that appears after some player helicopter actions on the FARP is fixed.

MP. Shelling zone trigger will be visible to clients.

UH-1H. Corrected animation of a stick cargo button.

ME. The next route leg will not be go off the road when moved the previous route waypoint.

AV-8B. Fix of incockpit FPS hit.

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

Did anyone noticed the new sounds?

While flying the Harrier I simply didn't realized that there are new sounds for the other airframes as well.

Probably still WIP but to me they sound really well so far.

Wait... there are still other aircraft? I Haven’t seen any other cockpit in weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk