DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

Hmm...while i love this bird (second favourite fighter plane after the 190), i would have prefered to flesh out the 1944 Europe scenario first. What am i supposed to do with this plane? Flying around "over" Iwo Jima (takes less then a minute) and the vast ocean surrounding it, watching the beautiful scenery (ocean, you know)?

As long as there is no Japanese counterpart (J2M, N1K ?) i am not interested at all..cause there is no real point. I think even the 1944 european theatre needs way more planes then the 3 right now..looking at the multiplayer numbers, it tells pretty much the story. Little disappointed regarding the progression of WW2 in DCS...any (3rd party) developer just seems to make his own thing, one throws in an old 1942 P40, here is pacific stuff, elsewhere a few 44 Europe planes..nothing fits together. In economic terms really not the wisest decision making...

^British Corsairs saw action in Europe in 44.

P.S. It's obvious that many of the modules are created because the devs have a passion for a specific plane (C-101, Viggen, MiG-21, Hawk, Gazelle, Bo-105), and/or having real life access to the plane (L-39) and/or people that worked with it (M2000).

IMO it's strange to see all these posts that try to tell the devs to make planes based on economic prospects.

Edited by emg

Hmm...while i love this bird (second favourite fighter plane after the 190), i would have prefered to flesh out the 1944 Europe scenario first. What am i supposed to do with this plane? Flying around "over" Iwo Jima (takes less then a minute) and the vast ocean surrounding it, watching the beautiful scenery (ocean, you know)?

As long as there is no Japanese counterpart (J2M, N1K ?) i am not interested at all..cause there is no real point.

Do you even ground-attack bro? :D

Seriously though, until we know what exactly comes with the map, especially which AI units, it is premature to say things like there is no real point. Even if it was a standalone plane, like Mustang, Dora and 109 - the point would be that we are able to fly the legend and that should suffice alone.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if the Corsair+small map&AI units provided more authentic and full experience (albeit on smaller scale) than anything WW2 related in DCS so far. However if you are mainly after MP airquake, I can see your point.

Edited by Spectrum Legacy

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

Yes I thought as well that the unique propulsion plane would be multi prop and P-38J or L was the one I wished for the most. One day it has to be the thing in DCS...and I swear that I'll fly around places in her for month without firing a bullet too! But in the end the unique propulsion turned out to be the Viggen with its thrust reverser :P

Not surprised, it was expected since the hints led that way for quite a while and I'm looking forward to it. Corsair is amazing though as well, isn't it? If it is indeed the -1version, then hopefully the D variant, so we can bombard and strafe to our hearts content! :pilotfly:

leak confirmed i guess? Oh well, i love the Viggen and F4U as well. They will be on my drive as soon as they launch the modules.

As far as I'm aware it never saw "action," just service and most of that was in the Scandinavian part of the world.

But I may be wrong

AFAIk you are right, but the point was the Corsair was operating in Europe and is about as relevant on a Normandy map as a K-4* IMO.

*the K-4 was delivered from october '44 - we are getting a Normandy map - by mid-september '44, the frontline was touching Germany, about 280km east of Calais/Abbeville.

Still, most people are fine with using the K-4 on a Normandy map, so I don't think we should be so strict about using a Corsair there as well. Anyway this was just a digression in response to this:

i would have prefered to flesh out the 1944 Europe scenario first. What am i supposed to do with this plane?

Edited by emg

As long as there is no Japanese counterpart (J2M, N1K ?) i am not interested at all..cause there is no real point. I think even the 1944 european theatre needs way more planes then the 3 right now..looking at the multiplayer numbers, it tells pretty much the story. Little disappointed regarding the progression of WW2 in DCS...any (3rd party) developer just seems to make his own thing, one throws in an old 1942 P40, here is pacific stuff, elsewhere a few 44 Europe planes..nothing fits together. In economic terms really not the wisest decision making...

Dogfight some P-51's in historic battle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

AFAIk you are right, but the point was the Corsair was operating in Europe and is about as relevant on a Normandy map as a K-4* IMO.

*the K-4 was delivered from october '44 - we are getting a Normandy map - by mid-september '44, the frontline was touching Germany, about 280km east of Calais/Abbeville.

Still, most people are fine with using the K-4 on a Normandy map, so I don't think we should be so strict about using a Corsair there as well. Anyway this was just a digression in response to this:

Oh no, I'm not against fighting Germans with the F4U, just trying to clarify. :thumbup:

Statistics say an aircraft which is it's own worst enemy, sounds fun! :D

I am more interested in Corsair for ground attack aspect, but we don't know yet whether we'll get one with ground attack ordnance available. But if we get them, it really can haul some weapons... more bombs and HVAR rockets than Mustang, and perhaps even giant "Tiny Tim" rockets.

For air combat, I bet if pilots are of similar skill, '44 birds all would have the upper hand against Corsair.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Statistics say an aircraft which is it's own worst enemy, sounds fun! :D

I am more interested in Corsair for ground attack aspect, but we don't know yet whether we'll get one with ground attack ordnance available. But if we get them, it really can haul some weapons... more bombs and HVAR rockets than Mustang, and perhaps even giant "Tiny Tim" rockets.

For air combat, I bet if pilots are of similar skill, '44 birds all would have the upper hand against Corsair.

Since it's fighter-bomber I don't think LN would dare to take off this aspect from F4U.

^British Corsairs saw action in Europe in 44.

IMO it's strange to see all these posts that try to tell the devs to make planes based on economic prospects.

You seem to forget a few things here.

1. The "normandy" map will most likely come close to the German borders as well, when we take the size of the two existing maps as a reference.

2. Guess what - German fighters have been capable to fly over enemy territory..beyond the front line..even a few hundreds of km :shocking:. So it could have been possibly, that K4s have been over the Normandy, or at least close to the Normandy (Ardennen are barely 200km away from the east end of Normandy) as well, when intercepting/following enemy bombers.

But point 2 is already untenable because of point 1.

Comparing this to Corsairs, who have never been in an aerial engagement in the European theatre, who have never been over the European landmass is quite ridiculous

How F4U will perform against 109k4 and 190d-9?

Not so great. They are significantly more modern than this version of the F4U.

It is not that simple. Although the Focke Wulf has superior ergonomics the raw performance numbers of F4U-1 series and Fw-190D9 are about equal. For me it looks like it will be a fair fight.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u.html

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/fw190d9test.html

You seem to forget a few things here.

1. The "normandy" map will most likely come close to the German borders as well, when we take the size of the two existing maps as a reference.

It's optimistic to expect that the Normandy map will include most of Belgium.

2. Guess what - German fighters have been capable to fly over enemy territory..beyond the front line..even a few hundreds of km :shocking:.

By October '44, the Luftwaffe was not even capable of defending Germany against bombing raids. Forget about offensive sorties over Normandy.

Edited by emg

It is not that simple. Although the Focke Wulf has superior ergonomics the raw performance numbers of F4U-1 series and Fw-190D9 are about equal. For me it looks like it will be a fair fight.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u.html

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/fw190d9test.html

so as usual, it really would come down to the better pilot, like the majority of Dogfights lol

• ED Team

By October '44, the Luftwaffe was not even capable of defending Germany against bombing raids. Forget about offensive sorties over Normandy.

I wouldnt 100% agree with that, sure they were on their heels, and any offensive attacks during this time really didnt accomplish much, or outright failed, but they still had some bite in them...

Operation Bodenplatte is one offensive operation that I can think of off the top of my head... it of course was pretty much a failure, but more to poor planning/execution.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Yes but Bodenplatte targets were all near the frontline, in Belgium and at Metz, far away from Normandy.

Look, I think it's fine to use the 109 K-4 on a Normandy map, even though a G model would be more historically correct. I'm just saying, I don't think we should be strict about using the Corsair there as well.

Edited by emg

AFAIK Wags' call to the community mentioned airfields *West of Calais*, North of Paris, East of Exeter and south of London.

I 'd expect Normandy map to be at least two hundred clicks from the Rhine.

Edited by airdoc

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.