Thrustmaster Cougar Question

Boneski

Hi all I just want to ask about how dcs reads joystick input... my example is the pov coolie hat for trim. When I see JOY_BTN_POV1_L does this mean the game is reading the cougar's pov coolie regardless of the code behind in the joystick program file or do I need to empty my joystick memory? or do I need to assign the keypress as well?

I am trying to determine if the F16 module will require me to program the stick to do the SOI stuff like the real jet or can I just connect op the Joystick empty the unit of all programming and let the game read the joystick input with no code behind.

Also does anyone have a realistic F16 Profile for the cougar joystick:joystick: thanks

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

Hi all I just want to ask about how dcs reads joystick input... my example is the pov coolie hat for trim. When I see JOY_BTN_POV1_L does this mean the game is reading the cougar's pov coolie regardless of the code behind in the joystick program file or do I need to empty my joystick memory?

Hi,

The Cougar has two Modes of Operation: DirectX Mode; and Programable Mode.

On DX Mode the Cougar behaves like any standard Joystick recognized by Microsoft's DirectX and DCS is able to detect it's buttons and axes. You can check that you are on this Mode by looking at the Button & Axis emulation button on the Cougar Control Panel, it should be red, like this:

MTj790q.jpg

On this Mode, the programming stored on the Cougar's memory (yes, it has its own memory) is ignored and not used.

On Programable Mode, the Cougar behaves like a USB Keyboard plus an Axis-only joystick. On this Mode, the button is green, like this:

wdSiWWE.jpg

On this Mode, DCS can detect the axes, but can not detect the buttons and hats. On this Mode, you use Foxy to program each button in such a way that it will produce a keyboard key when pressed.

or do I need to assign the keypress as well?

If you use DX Mode, then you dont need to assign keypresses.

I am trying to determine if the F16 module will require me to program the stick to do the SOI stuff like the real jet or can I just connect op the Joystick empty the unit of all programming and let the game read the joystick input with no code behind.

If you leave the Cougar on DX Mode, DCS will recognize its Hats and Buttons and configure the F-16 Hotas for you, just like it does the A-10C with the TM Warthog.

Also does anyone have a realistic F16 Profile for the cougar joystick:joystick: thanks

I edited this one, for use with Foxy (in Programable Mode) .. it is a first version, so there is room for improvement :)

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3306487/

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you... that is what I wanted to confirm.... I have ad this thing for almost 20 years and still not sure how to use it fully LOL... Thank you again!!

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

Have you upgraded the pots to magnetic sensors and the game mode d9 to usb?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.