[NO BUG]Are booster pumps irl required for left engine operation?

sirrah

Not sure if it's a bug or that it's true to the real thing, so I'll post it here. @mod, feel free to move this thread.

It seems the left engine can be started without activating the booster pumps. Of course I discovered this on purpose and definitely didn't forget to switch 'em on...

The right engine will however not spool up with the pumps deactivated.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

It seems the left engine can be started without activating the booster pumps. Of course I discovered this on purpose and definitely didn't forget to switch 'em on...

The right engine will however not spool up with the pumps deactivated.

To the best of my knowledge, this is correctly modeled.

Setting the boost pump switches On is one of the first items in the checklist (even before the battery). I guess the idea is to prevent pilots from making the same mista... purposeful test as you did. ;)

Setting the boost pump switches On is one of the first items in the checklist (even before the battery)

Not according the interactive training mission iirc :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I didn't read the manual comprehensively but the boost pumps are not fuel shutoff valves. They ensure that the fuel feed system is working under all conditions and flight parameters. It does not necessarily mean that there is no fuel flowing to the engine at all. Fuel valves are actuated during the automatic startup process which is initiated by pushing the throttle from off to idle.

I know it is a different plane but you can also start the F-5 without having the pumps turned on.

Not according the interactive training mission iirc :P

True. That's designed to get us going in the virtual jet, and it does an okay-ish job. ;)

Again, to the best of my knowledge real pilots use different procedures/checklists, where the boost pumps come very early.

Baltic Dragon released a preview of mission 1 of a new A-10C training campaign; I was quite surprised how different the workflow is in that mission compared to what DCS itself teaches us. But I think Baltic Dragon and Doughboy work as close to RL procedures as they can get.

It’s modeled correctly

Thanks!

There's a DC-powered fuel pump in the left system that the right tank doesn't have. It's there to supply the APU for its start as APU draws fuel from the left tank. If you pull the C/B for that DC pump I'm sure the left engine wouldn't start without the AC pump enabled and AC power.

Presumably the DC pump is sufficient to start the left engine in a similar manner that it starts and supplies the APU.