Will deck crew make correction in case of wrong alignment?

ViperDriver

Hi all

Really liked the trailer which was released last friday. The deck crew looks amazing. Looking forward to the supercarrier modul with new and much improved ATC and of course the deck crew.

In case of not making correct alignment of the aircraft or not following the instructions given by deck crew (when taxiing for example) will the deck crew make corrections? How they do react in this case?

Last question: After releasing the supercarrier modul, is it planned to implement a ground crew into the air fields to make the airfields less empty.

Thanks

ViperDriver

Edited by ViperDriver

• 2 months later...

That would be fitting, and then they should have a tractor push you back and make you try again.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I don't see them interacting/correcting us, more we use them as points of reference for aligning with the cats. Sure, they'll do certain things when we hit our marks I'm sure, but letting us know if we're right or left during taxi to a cat might be a bit too much to expect.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

but letting us know if we're right or left during taxi to a cat might be a bit too much to expect.

I expect at least that. As it is same logic as a meatball or AoA indexer. You have front wheel/aircraft to align with specific position and the crew member job is to signal you it.

It can't be difficult to program a dot (front wheel) alignment on a line (catapult).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Actually IIRC Wags said the avatars will not marshal aircraft through hand signals. Maybe they'll have like arrows pointing the way, maybe nothing and you'll have to F2 it.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

It might seem that the whole point of the deck crew was to do their job of marshalling and shooting but, unfortunately, the former was not mentioned as a feature at any time. Wishlist it goes. I'd expect something to help us connect to the cat though without using F2. But then again what I see at 56s...

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I would honestly be disappointed if the deck crew can't actually direct you around. Isn't that their whole job?

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Have a feeling there's going to be a few disappointed people around here.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

Have a feeling there's going to be a few disappointed people around here.

Very true. I think I will be one of them. However, ED did not help tame people's expectations. Providing the feature list only left the door open for more questions. Questions that has not been answered, such as this thread. Other than a live deck, what's the point of having deck crew that doesn't assist with alignment? What's the point of having hangar deck if we(user) can't do anything with it? What's the point of having elevators that work if we can't use them? People say a lot of this is unnecessary and a waste of time or resources, but isn't this what DCS/ED is known for, simulation? We do know that there will not be towing and player walking. Maybe that's why the module was waaay cheaper than everyone expected. I've been with DCS for a while and I've never seen a module so vague and under promoted. I know promos will start "soon" since Q1 is almost over, but no one can say, with a straight face, that they know what they're getting with the SC. Man, I hope ED makes me eat plenty of crow.;)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Hey armchair quarterbacks, IMO, the feature list is exactly what ED should have released. The list is what they are able to release “at the moment”. The problem is people not accepting that release. People will be disappointed only if they accept that release as coming up short of their own expectations. That’s your own issue. If you want more right now, take the time and write the coding for more and submit it to them. Or better yet, build you own flight sim company and do more than they are. Until then, let ED do what it’s going to do and be happy with it. I have absolute faith in ED doing the right thing for it’s customers. Over time, if possible, they will add everything that you’re asking for. “Just a little patience, yeaaaaaaah, yeahhhhh.” I am super excited for the super carrier simply because I believe it’s the groundwork for something bigger. Be excited for the future of DCS, not disappointed that a company you don’t control doesn’t meet your somewhat unrealistic expectations.

Now go fly and enjoy the awesomeness that is DCS World!

F/A-18C Hornet, i9 9900K OC 5.0G, 1TB Intel 660 M.2 SSD, Z390 Aorus Pro, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, GeForce RTX 2080TI, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T-Rudder, Oculus Rift S, Open Wheeler GEN2 Sim Chair w/ Warthog Upgrade.

Yeah I checked my expectations when the pre-release occurred. At that price I knew there wasn't much to it on initial release.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Oh, I think they will help with alignment, but more along the lines we get used to where they are and use them as better markers than a plain, flat deck.

The crew(s) are just environment enhancements, just like the other deck items, at least that's what I've always taken from anything ED's said or posted. There will be more interactive parts of Supercarrier, like the LSO and Air Boss stations down the proverbial cruise, just not little animated figurines that will help us get our birds straight down the catapult(s).

:D

Edited by Steve Gee
Speeling :)

Actually IIRC Wags said the avatars will not marshal aircraft through hand signals. Maybe they'll have like arrows pointing the way, maybe nothing and you'll have to F2 it.

Remember where you might have heard that? I don't recall it, and I get the feeling something like that would have caused a noticeable flareup with some of the people on here and other groups.

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||

IIRC deck crew won't marshall you around on the deck (i.e. to the parking spot after trapping or to the cat after startup), however you can see the cat crew making hand signals in the promo-video, meaning they should be providing guidance for an AC approaching the cat, probably telling the pilot to go left/right and when to stop.

Edit: Just rewatched it and you can clearly see them making hand gestures for cat alignment and unfolding wings.

Edited by sLYFa

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Remember where you might have heard that? I don't recall it, and I get the feeling something like that would have caused a noticeable flareup with some of the people on here and other groups.

I honestly don't, but I think it was in a post answering exactly that question, whether the avatars would do physical marshaling. IIRC he didn't even say "for now", or "at release", which kind of disappointed me, because it sounds like there are no plans what-so-ever.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

IIRC deck crew won't marshall you around on the deck (i.e. to the parking spot after trapping or to the cat after startup), however you can see the cat crew making hand signals in the promo-video, meaning they should be providing guidance for an AC approaching the cat, probably telling the pilot to go left/right and when to stop.

Edit: Just rewatched it and you can clearly see them making hand gestures for cat alignment and unfolding wings.

I think we need to request start clearence. Then tower will give order for next avaible catapult. Then groundcrew spawn around the cat and one guy give hand signals where the plane is in relation to the "hook me area". Maybe (to get more controls on it) the player must choose the cat where he want to be shootet via radio.

That is what i expect.

Good lord! How dare you post a reasonable hypothesis based on a measure of studied intelligent analysis! Don't you know where you are?!?!

What is this place coming to?

Yes they do the hand signals, but question is not that as it couldn't be clearer from the start. Even the series they released about animations of people running, signaling etc.

The real question is, is there a logic connection between situation in the deck and the animations?

You know, like landing gear and landing gear leveler and it lights in the cockpit?

Why would it take long time from them if they would just populate deck with people that doesn't react to situations? As making all the logics is difficult part, connections between animation phases so different ones can be played when situation changes (like signal from left to right) and get it fluid and dynamic.

Now look at many racing simulators, how they do the pit animations and handling. They literally take away control in pit area in many, because players can't do it right and they can avoid at once all that dynamic modeling because pit area is always exactly same.

In driving pits there can come situations where two or three cars are coming or leaving very near each others. But that is nothing compared to flight deck dynamics and simultaneous action.

So ED is doing already something very very unique in the scale and complexity. At least they have that scenario to work.

I wouldn't accept crew to spawn from thin air around aircraft. There are people on deck ready, they should get moved to around aircraft. That is the point of dynamic animations that you run those in correct positions etc.

It will slow down the players take-off procedure, but I think everyone who buys super carrier is fully ready to spend minutes working with ground crew????

And I don't mean sitting in cockpit for hours while beign in QRA.

The main challenge is always players who do not follow rules. Just as talked about, is there a collision modeling? Is there some penalties of one crash another jet etc?

IMHO there should be, so everyone learns to follow the rules. The penalty is that controls are taken away from player and kicked to lobby. No fooling around etc (as some steamers will do).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I do wonder how we will we make the deck transition from launch to recovery? Radio calls? Those waist cat crewmen, especially #3, might want to relocate. :D

In FS, when the aircraft arrive at the gate on some scenery, the marshaller does not guide the aircraft left or right (as far as I know), but indicate the aircraft to stop when at the correct position.

This is definitely more simple in FS that the crew we can see on the DCS video, but we can reasonably supposed that ED make this possible.

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

I see the same in FSX, only telling me when to stop and I think that's determined by a hitbox attached to them...when I "hit" it, they react. I imagine the cat crewmen are going to work in the same way, i.e...certain actions when we "hit" spots of the deck or areas.