Door gunner wont shoot at night?

Frag

Hi guys,

I am currently doing the campaign that comes with the Huey. Is there a way for the door gunner to have night vision google at night?

I noticed in the night mission that they never fire ...so wondering why they came at the first place ;)

Thanks

I have a feeling all AI basically getting blind during night. How does ground units behave in the same mission? What mission is it?

I have tried to adjust old BS1 missions where ground units are supposed to fire at you during night time, and they did in BS1 but not now. If ground units fire during night time when you fly I'm interested in examine it to see if they done something I can use in the BS1 missions.

Sorry I didn't have anything to help you.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I think the first mission in the UN campaign at night, must be around 8ish where you need to go out and help a surrounded platoon, first job is shoot the trucks, I have never had the AI fire at all, even on free fire, still completed but did just think the poor buggers were never given night vision :)

I have a feeling all AI basically getting blind during night. How does ground units behave in the same mission? What mission is it?

I have tried to adjust old BS1 missions where ground units are supposed to fire at you during night time, and they did in BS1 but not now. If ground units fire during night time when you fly I'm interested in examine it to see if they done something I can use in the BS1 missions.

Sorry I didn't have anything to help you.

The mission is indeed the one Thrustvector is talking about in the next quote. I too find weird that ground troops never fire at dusk/dawn (as well as night). Put some ground troops under the sun during the summer at like 9h15 and they will never fire. They are sitting ducks in that mission and simply sit there while getting fired at (by me, the pilot). The AI door gunner are just useless weight ... they are not doing anything.

It kinda sucks since the scenery is beautiful at dusk/dawn but you can rarely use it since AI consider itself blind at that time ... even if the light is still very strong.

I think the first mission in the UN campaign at night, must be around 8ish where you need to go out and help a surrounded platoon, first job is shoot the trucks, I have never had the AI fire at all, even on free fire, still completed but did just think the poor buggers were never given night vision :)

Yep this is exactly the mission I am talking about (the surrounded platoon). You can fly at like 100 feet from the ground troops and they won't do anything to defend themselves.

Edited by Frag

Bugger, I somewhat hoped (a minor, minor hope) that the mission designers had a working solution for ground units lack of night vision (not eaten enough carrots?).

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

you would hope they would issue them night vision, but I'm not sure they did in RL so spray n pray was probably used?

Actually it is not the case ... even when the sun is up (before sunset) they wont fire at all. I think the "blind" effect is not based on the luminosity ...but the clock.

Take a look at the mission attached. This is a simple mission where a Huey is flying over a ZU-23 air defense. You will notice that even though there is still lot of light for the ZU to engage ...it will not.

If, in the mission editor, you modify the time to put it few minutes earlier to 21h00 ... then they will.

Blind Test.miz

Edited by Frag

Door gunners will fire providing they can see the targets. You should try this tasked with illumination rockets and see if that helps. My door gunners usually open fire on illuminated targets only at dusk. If you are unsure how to use those rockets properly, you climb vertical and point your nose up as high as you can and volley off a few shots. That "should" be enough.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Door gunners will fire providing they can see the targets. You should try this tasked with illumination rockets and see if that helps. My door gunners usually open fire on illuminated targets only at dusk. If you are unsure how to use those rockets properly, you climb vertical and point your nose up as high as you can and volley off a few shots. That "should" be enough.

Hey thanks man ... I will try it out for sure.