Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

Really?!

I didn't see that. Cobra mentioned in an interview that a MiG-23 was "very likely", but I don't think anything has been confirmed except the F-14.

Did I miss something?

-Nick

Cobra said they planned to do both after the Mig-21.

Cobra said they planned to do both after the Mig-21.

Your imagination is running wild. Prove it and I'll eat my hat.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

What's so interesting about SAAB? It didn't even take part in any conflict.

Because exactly that I just wanna see her flying and fighting at DCSW. It was an amazing sexy looking bird and there's not many aircrafts that presume of a lock on in a SR71 Blackbird:

http://www.milavia.net/specials/iv_viggen/index.htm

Win 8.1, I7 4770K 4.5ghz watercooled, 240gb SSD in Raid 0, 16GB DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX780 watercooled, LG 29EA73-P (2560x1080)

Cobra M5 *modded by BRD*, CH Pro Throttle, Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR5 Pro + Delanclip, Bose QC 15, TM Cougar MFD's

300/30 mbps

I'm sure there was another post about it too.

EDIT: SU-22 and Mig-23 mention was just deleted from the post :P

That post your quoting is from August 2013. That's a long time ago, before the kerfuffle that resulted in the fall of Studio Bezcl and the formation of LN, and when Cobra was working for SB and Razbam (and any others).

Basically, it counts for nothing except that they *were* the rough plans two years ago for another group.

That post your quoting is from August 2013. That's a long time ago, before the kerfuffle that resulted in the fall of Studio Bezcl and the formation of LN, and when Cobra was working for SB and Razbam (and any others).

Basically, it counts for nothing except that they *were* the rough plans two years ago for another group.

So the Mig-21 that was also mentioned in the post, is that a different mig-21 to LN's? Why was the post deleted so quickly then?

So the Mig-21 that was also mentioned in the post, is that a different mig-21 to LN's? Why was the post deleted so quickly then?

Too stop further misinformation? It was made in a different situation where Beczl was in charge of Studio Beczl so he chose the airplanes to follow to be MiG-23MF and Su-22M3 IIRC (as used by the Hungarian Air Force where he worked on them or something). With him out of the picture, the new development group was established by remaining members (LN) who probably have different ideas and priorities. There's no conspiracy here..

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I surely hope LNS won't do the Viggen as one of the next two or three modules. I think it would share the same commercial success as the real plane.

All 3rd party devs need commercial succes and they should not gamble on planes that only a few fans or people from one country would buy it.

What I say has nothing to do with the passion a certain plane brings to some people but with a cold commercial calculation. I mean... If sweedish army wants a Grippen simulation and pays well and out of this a Grippen DCS module would came out as a spin off... Ok... But Viggen...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

To keep this simple and not drag up all the history (which is available on this forum), then yes, for all intents and purposes the current Mig-21 by LN is a different module.

As for deleting, I suspect it's because this conversation has cropped up yet again and Cobra (and team) are keen to stop any confusion/misinformation arising from past posts when the situation was very different and which no longer hold any relevence. The guys at LN do actively read this forum, even if they don't post often.

Current situation for LN is thus:

Mig 21 is still being worked on and is awaiting DCS 2.0 for new stuff.

F14A/B is the next official module from LN.

LN are also working on two other aircraft.

LN are also working on some maps.

Going actually back to the topic at hand, we've had a few hints and it looks as if one of them is likely to be a Japanese WWII prop plane, the other plane is still a wildcard until we get some more teasers.

All 3rd party devs need commercial succes and they should not gamble on planes that only a few fans or people from one country would buy it.

You can be sure things are more complex than that and there are limits imposed by manufacturer's licensing, available information (e.g. available pilot input for the FM development), available and classified documentation, etc. It then has to be mixed with airplane system complexity, projected sales, personal motivation/wishes by developers, available developer resources, experience developing for DCS World, what features are supported by DCS World (e.g. lack of A2G radar modeling, lack of dual cockpit support), what terrain is/will be available, etc. Otherwise, everybody would be developing cash cows from the start and then move to Bahamas.

Come on, these people are smart enough to build these modules and their jobs depend on such decisions; it's quite likely these thoughts have crossed their minds, too.. :)

Edited by Dudikoff

I really hope one of them is the Viggen. Good Viggen and Draken sims are something I've wanted for a long time. I'll admit I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I don't see why the appeal would be limited. It can do air to air as well as air to ground, it's a fairly unique airplane with interesting capabilities, and there's potential for some exciting scenarios with it.

I don't think a Viggen would sell poorly. Most combat flight sim fans are in it for aviation in general, not an obsession with one particular plane or nationality. That said, I don't think a Viggen would be a big seller either as it doesn't have a large fan base. Instead it will be just another plane that will have to sell itself to DCS players based on what it offers.

That wouldn't be difficult, at all. If it were on par with the MiG-21 in terms of quality and support, then they'd have little trouble selling it.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

It was built to sink Soviet ships and shoot down Migs. Who doesn't wanna do that? ;-)

The plan and the historical reality turned out to be different. :D

I would buy it (maybe in a hope of a Draken) but just standing and thinking for a minute... I think a module of AN-2 with some proper sky diving sandboxing would sell immensely more than a Viggen and a Draken combined and at a small fraction of the costs... AN-2 has an avionics composed from a bedside clock and a shovel to shut the door.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I don't think a Viggen would sell poorly. Most combat flight sim fans are in it for aviation in general, not an obsession with one particular plane or nationality. That said, I don't think a Viggen would be a big seller either as it doesn't have a large fan base. Instead it will be just another plane that will have to sell itself to DCS players based on what it offers.

I think Viggen would sell well if released in a timely manner. If nothing else, there are no other playable platforms currently with air to ground radar modes and anti-ship guided missiles. Of course, if its competition included F/A-18C, F-16C, etc. it would be a much harder sell.

Yeah I don't know... I for one, in 20 years of simming had just about enough of F-18, F-16 and F-something.

Viggen on the other hand...

So while people who think like me may not be the majority, still I'm sure they would be numerous. Besides, even for people who prefer more popular fighters, Viggen would still be fairly interesting, it is a quite multirole, supersonic fighter with lots of interesting systems to explore.

Edited by WinterH
typo...

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Yeah I don't know... I for one, in 20 years of simming had just about enough of F-18, F-16 and F-something.

So while people who think like me may not be the majority, still I'm sure they would be numerous. Besides, even for people who prefer more popular fighters, Viggen would still be fairly interesting, it is a quite multirole, supersonic fighter with lots of interesting systems to explore.

1+ from me! id love a F-something (as you call it), but im more interested in something that hasn't been modeled (not as realistic as dcs tho) to death in various simulators already.

The plan and the historical reality turned out to be different. :D

I would buy it (maybe in a hope of a Draken) but just standing and thinking for a minute... I think a module of AN-2 with some proper sky diving sandboxing would sell immensely more than a Viggen and a Draken combined and at a small fraction of the costs... AN-2 has an avionics composed from a bedside clock and a shovel to shut the door.

I might be biased but...hmm...

http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

I surely hope LNS won't do the Viggen as one of the next two or three modules. I think it would share the same commercial success as the real plane.

What I say has nothing to do with the passion a certain plane brings to some people but with a cold commercial calculation. I mean... If sweedish army wants a Grippen simulation and pays well and out of this a Grippen DCS module would came out as a spin off... Ok... But Viggen...

Absolutely agree. Viggen, or Buchon, or AT802U or any other (relatively) obscure, niche audience plane are certainly cool, but there's very little reason why they should be initial entries into DCS. The stable of flyables is still fairly small (not one true multirole fighter jet. Not. A. Single. One.) There are MANY aircraft with wider appeal (and often, wider capability for multirole).

Let's get the F-4s, the MiG29s, the F-16s, the Tornados, all those widely-used, multirole, iconic aircraft that can be used for many nations and many roles first. After there's a decent selection of those, it would be more appropriate to bring in the less common airframes.

Edited by OutOnTheOP

I have to disagree: while the F-somethings, as you put it, may have featured in games before, they've never been done anywhere near DCS fidelity; particularly as regards flight modelling.

By that logic, the A-10C should have been a disappointing flop: there have been, by my count, at least four simulations exclusively focused on the A-10. I don't know about you, but A-10 Tank Killer, circa 1989 (my God, was it really that old?!?!) isn't really scratching the itch anymore. Neither is the dessicated corpse of Falcon 4.0. No matter how many mods have been bootstrapped on it, that game is not DCS, and the flight model is still simple.

Edited by OutOnTheOP

Neither is the dessicated corpse of Falcon 4.0. No matter how many mods have been bootstrapped on it, that game is not DCS, and the flight model is still simple.

i have to wonder if the licensing cost (f-16 being lockheed) is preventing some aircraft from being made. but at least we are getting f-18c eventually :D

“The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime.”

-Manfred von Richthofen

i have to wonder if the licensing cost (f-16 being lockheed) is preventing some aircraft from being made. but at least we are getting f-18c eventually :D

Entirely possible, but I can't imagine that all the more likely candidates are saddled with that problem.... Viggen is down near the *last* modern jet in terms of overall proliferation. I find it hard to believe that nothing else was practical to simulate.