Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

But remember guys the questions is not what we want, the question is what we probably get depending in the cues.

We haven't forgotten, and in fact if we do get the A-6 I will be very (pleasantly) surprised. Given that multi-station is in its infancy right now as well as the B/N workload in the actual aircraft, LNS would need to make a very good Tiger AI to make the A-6 mission capable for a single player in bad weather.

EDIT: if anything, it would be easier to write a combat autopilot to follow the DIANE cues, and have the player operate the B/N station.

That said, if anybody can pull-off Jester AI and can refine it for the A-6, it would probably be LNS.

Edited by Home Fries

We haven't forgotten, and in fact if we do get the A-6 I will be very (pleasantly) surprised. Given that multi-station is in its infancy right now as well as the B/N workload in the actual aircraft, LNS would need to make a very good Tiger AI to make the A-6 mission capable for a single player in bad weather.

EDIT: if anything, it would be easier to write a combat autopilot to follow the DIANE cues, and have the player operate the B/N station.

That said, if anybody can pull-off Jester AI and can refine it for the A-6, it would probably be LNS.

I don't think LNS is trying to revamp DCS's core AI like that. More likely, it will be an addition to the existing DCS AI. The existing DCS AI is omniscient within a set visibility ring and does not use systems or player flight models. With that in mind, I think LNS's AI thing will be a series of macros (such as the auto startups for most DCS planes) and audio calls on what the AI has spotted, similar to how AWACS interacts with players currently. Doing that is still a substantial task and will add a lot to the game, but I don't think it's what you're thinking. In any case, the A-6 seems unlikely given the comment on the HUD.

But remember guys the questions is not what we want, the question is what we probably get depending in the cues.

Actually it is. It's just that it's too late in development to change course, really.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

DCS: MiG-25 would be pretty awesome. I hope we get that one day. :thumbup:

DCS MiG-25 is also really high on my list (at least top 5, maybe top 3).

The Gen3 MiGs would have a lot of use and are highly relevant aircraft for most of the combat scenarios of the cold war. The Gen3 MiGs being: MiG-23, MiG-25, MiG-27, and MiG-21Bis (sort of - Gen3 avionics in Gen2.5 airframe).

With the pending release of the F-14A (set in the mid-late 80s), Mirage F1, and Mirage 2000C (1980s) there may be more opportunities to create more true Cold War scenarios. Hence these Soviet designs become even more important.

Hopefully, we'll see more Western aircraft also set in the 1970s-1990s, not just 2000s and later.

-Nick

DCS: MiG-25 would be pretty awesome. I hope we get that one day. :thumbup:

You'd have no ability to turn, insane take off and landing rolls, and would be a freight-train on radar.

But, I would love every second of that.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

You'd have no ability to turn, insane take off and landing rolls, and would be a freight-train on radar.

But, I would love every second of that.

4 minute climb to 100.000 feet towards bulls followed by a mach 2.X dash to fire on the unsuspecting target and running away almost faster than the spamraams fired towards you.

What's not to like?

:pilotfly:

Wouldn't a MiG31 be way more interesting than a 25? For as far as I can tell the 25 has a very limited armament selection mostly intended for bombers, and incapable of carrying a cannon. Flying it will be interesting for sure, but wat else can you do but fire long range missiles and then return to base?

The 31 can carry a much wider and modern variety of air to air weapons, can have an on-board gun and is also a better counterweight to the F15 and upcoming F18.

Wouldn't a MiG31 be way more interesting than a 25? For as far as I can tell the 25 has a very limited armament selection mostly intended for bombers, and incapable of carrying a cannon. Flying it will be interesting for sure, but wat else can you do but fire long range missiles and then return to base?

The 31 can carry a much wider and modern variety of air to air weapons, can have an on-board gun and is also a better counterweight to the F15 and upcoming F18.

Much wider? The 31 and 31B carried only 4 R-33, 2 R-40TD and could carry dual launchers with R-60M missiles. The primary armament (long range R-33 missiles) was intended to be used only against bombers and cruise missiles. I'm sure the secondary weapons (short range missiles and the cannon) were not intended to be used against the fighters either as it was no dogfighter. So, as a purely defensive interceptor, it wasn't intended to tackle enemy fighters and it would wasted for that as the bombers and even more so cruise missiles were seen as a very serious threat to the SU (hence the development of the MiG-31).

You're right in that it does provide somewhat more options in the sim (and it is my favorite Soviet plane :) ), but its radar, cockpit (twin seater) and WCS are also probably more complex to simulate compared to the more crude and primitive MiG-25 radar and WCS.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Maybe it's only the late versions then? Saw some interesting armament selections here.

The prototype MiG-31M and earlier BM types (and maybe the proposed E variant for export) were supposed to have been somewhat multirole, but they never reached production.

The latest BM standard supports R-33S and R-73 missiles only AFAIK which should get expanded with RVV-SD (Russian R-77 derivative) and RVV-BD (successor to the 31M's R-37 missile) missiles once they are available (and if).

Tbh with just long range radar missile armament I don't think any aircraft would be terribly interesting in the long run.

Yes, but technically MiG-25's R-40 missiles are not really long-range, though (well, maybe by those 60's standards.. :) ).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I too was thinking they'd announce at least one of the other two planes in the update last week but instead it was all F-14 and very general stuff. I do find it a bit strange that they are holding the other two a secret. Unless I read their announcements wrong, they plan to release the F-14 after these other two projects. The lack of hints combined with lack of solid info makes it appear almost as if they plan to hold them a secret until release day.

I recall they did say something about the other two modules moving faster than intended so hopefully that coupled with the lack of info indicates they are saving it for release like you say.

Cobra had said back in early March that they would possibly announce something in April.

There have not been any updates on the other modules since then.

I have a feeling that the announcement is on hold and that it will be timed with another announcement/release by ED. I have no direct data/info to support this, just a guess.

But I do think that the release of DCSW2 and NTTR will coincide with an announcement by LNS.

For now, we just have to wait till they are ready to announce. Cobra has said that both their other modules are much further along than the Tomcat and they pioneered several new texture/3d modelling techniques. So there certainly should be something to show us when they are ready.

I hate waiting! :)

-Nick

+1 vote for MIG-31

I'm certain plane number one is a Zero from hints given by LN long before the gear pic. I'm also fairly sure that plane number two is either an F-16 or A-6E Intruder and that the 'HUD elements' carried across from the F-14 mean LANTIRN on the -16 or the TRAM on the A-6.

EDIT: No I'm not! The second one is a Viggen.

Edited by ChoSeungWan