Issues with the X-Axis on Mongoose T-50 not staying calibrated.

Hey guys,

This is a write up that I sent Virpil in a support ticket, but I thought maybe someone could shed a bit of light on this issue. Basically, The X-axis range sensor on my Mongoose T-50 base keeps drifting left.

Up until now I have tried everything that I could possibly think to resolve this issue. I have reloaded the firmware multiple times, and today I deleted all the firmware and configuration that I had as it was a previous version and downloaded the latest one from the website. I started by factory resetting the stick, and then freshly loading the profile. I followed the guide on how to do it to a T, and yet I still cannot seem to keep the roll axis centered. Essentially, the X-Axis moves it's center to the left every time full deflection to the right is applied. So after the center was just applied I can move the stick the full range i.e. left to 0% and fully right to 100% however once I try to recenter the stick it will show a value of 49%. Now if I apply full deflection to the right it will only go to 98-99%, and upon centering will only show 47-48%. This will occur in an increasingly severe fashion until at the extreme the center rests at 3-4% while full deflection to the right will only obtain a value of 58%. Obviously, this means every time in a sim I apply right aileron my center gets further and further left requiring me to physically hold the stick to the right, and eventually not allowing me to apply full deflection to the right in the sim.

For the record, I have opened the base to apply the heavy springs and to ensure all hardware components were seated properly, and as far as I could tell they all were. I am absolutely stumped as I can see no reason that after multiple factory resets, actual disassembly to check hardware, and multiple firmware and profile resets that this issue continues to persist. The only thing I can think of is a faulty sensor or some other failure I do not have the expertise to diagnose. This issue is very severe and I am unable to play my sims with the stick in this state. I need some technical support ASAP.

Anyone ever heard of something like this?

Cheers!

-Shadepiece

Fire only at close range, and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

-Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke, Jasta 2

Hey guys,

This is a write up that I sent Virpil in a support ticket, but I thought maybe someone could shed a bit of light on this issue. Basically, The X-axis range sensor on my Mongoose T-50 base keeps drifting left.

Up until now I have tried everything that I could possibly think to resolve this issue. I have reloaded the firmware multiple times, and today I deleted all the firmware and configuration that I had as it was a previous version and downloaded the latest one from the website. I started by factory resetting the stick, and then freshly loading the profile. I followed the guide on how to do it to a T, and yet I still cannot seem to keep the roll axis centered. Essentially, the X-Axis moves it's center to the left every time full deflection to the right is applied. So after the center was just applied I can move the stick the full range i.e. left to 0% and fully right to 100% however once I try to recenter the stick it will show a value of 49%. Now if I apply full deflection to the right it will only go to 98-99%, and upon centering will only show 47-48%. This will occur in an increasingly severe fashion until at the extreme the center rests at 3-4% while full deflection to the right will only obtain a value of 58%. Obviously, this means every time in a sim I apply right aileron my center gets further and further left requiring me to physically hold the stick to the right, and eventually not allowing me to apply full deflection to the right in the sim.

For the record, I have opened the base to apply the heavy springs and to ensure all hardware components were seated properly, and as far as I could tell they all were. I am absolutely stumped as I can see no reason that after multiple factory resets, actual disassembly to check hardware, and multiple firmware and profile resets that this issue continues to persist. The only thing I can think of is a faulty sensor or some other failure I do not have the expertise to diagnose. This issue is very severe and I am unable to play my sims with the stick in this state. I need some technical support ASAP.

Cheers!

-Shadepiece

https://virpil.com/en/support/faq

How Do I Calibrate the VPC MongoosT-50 Flightstick?

Please use the VPC Configurator Light software on our website to calibrate. https://virpil.com/en/support/downloads

Do not use the Windows Game Controllers calibration tool!

https://virpil.com/en/support/downloads?download=19:vpc-configurator

I just copied and pasted all this from the virpil website.

If calibrating with the vpc configurator doesn't get you sorted i'd expect it to be faulty hardware.

If you put the springs/cams on correctly and everything looks connected inside the base, and reclibrating using the VPC software, I'd imagine it's a faulty wire or connection to a sensor. Bent pins or even a miffed solder job. Stuff happens. If that's the case I'm sure virpil would want to make good on it.

one of the pins on the MCU for my MFG Crosswinds was bent and creating a short, which also resulted in a brick during a failed firmware update. It made my left toe brake do crazy things at times before it bricked. Milan sent me a replacement MCU and I haven't had that issue since. Different manufacturer, but I'd imagine Virpil will get that sorted for you.

I don't have a virpil stick myself, just going based off my experience with input devices in general.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Hey guys,

Cheers!

-Shadepiece

Here are some tutorial videos for using/configuring Virpil kit

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• 5 months later...

I have the same thing. I was told by a Virpil spokesman to open a ticket as this was "...usually very easy to fix".

Be advised, Virpil have their own forum thread here under "Input and output".

The ticket needs to be submitted to the Virpil site.

Eager to find out what the solution is, as I have the exact same experience as you.