What is the availability of Cougar spare parts since Thrustmaster stopped support?

-0303-

I can buy a next to new and unused Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar in original packaging for the equivalent of $110 dollar available which I think is a good price.

Thrustmaster stated in reply email to me that they stopped support for Cougar. Qoute:

>We are sorry to inform you that we no longer support the Hotas Cougar, hence we we're not providing any spare parts for this specific product anymore. However please refer to this link: http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/index.php as they might provide the requested parts.

My main concern is spare parts. I've seen upgrade/replacements potentiometers but what if a something else breaks?

I am also concerned about software and about using modern USB pedals like MFG Crosswind. I believe software is not a problem, I can use either Target or installing the old foxy software (read a post from Rudel_chw).

Can I use MFG Crosswind (USB) pedals and have them work with an old Cougar? I understand Target software supports the old Cougar and I assume Target software would have no problem integrating MFG Crosswind (USB) pedals for use and calibration?

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

I can buy a next to new and unused Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar in original packaging for the equivalent of $110 dollar available which I think is a good price.

You will not find a better Hotas at that price, so even if it has no spares available it will be a good buy to use until it breaks down. My Cougar has over 15 years of use, so in my opinion it is fairly tough and should give you many years of service until it breaks.

Thrustmaster stated in reply email to me that they stopped support for Cougar. Qoute:

>We are sorry to inform you that we no longer support the Hotas Cougar, hence we we're not providing any spare parts for this specific product anymore. However please refer to this link: http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/index.php as they might provide the requested parts.

This is so strange, I purchased from Guillemot a replacement microstick and a throttle Pot in August of this year ... tough, at that point in time, there were no Pots for the Stick.

My main concern is spare parts. I've seen upgrade/replacements potentiometers but what if a something else breaks?

The Pots are the parts that wear the most, I've replaced them 3 or 4 times during this 15 years. It's been only last month that I replaced them with the aftermarket Pots that Rel4y manufactures, up until now I was able to get them from Guillemot (Thrustmaster's parent company)

The other part subject to wear are the stick's Gimbals, I've had them broke on me once each (there is an X-axis and an Y-axis Gimbal)

I've never had to replace any button switch and the only other part that has failed me, was the microstick .. and only very recently, after giving a very long service.

Can I use MFG Crosswind (USB) pedals and have them work with an old Cougar? I understand Target software supports the old Cougar and I assume Target software would have no problem integrating MFG Crosswind (USB) pedals for use and calibration?

I'm not sure, but I believe that the Target software only supports Thrustmaster equipment.

So ... go for it, on your place I wouldnt doubt it for a minute :D

Cheers.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

If it's me I'd go TARGET on the HOTAS and handle the pedals in game. You'll have two controllers in the settings and and adjust the bedals there. It's a god bet the Axes wont be right out the gate so you'll have to adjust those but that's situation normal.

TARGET will not support the MFD pedals unless you modify the pedals to take the output of the pedal's pots and directly connect them to the Warthog rudder connector bypassing the MFD's USB circuit, etc. Basically a bad idea. There is little reason to make the pedals work with the Cougar using TARGET, so as stated, just use the pedals separately as normal.

TARGET supports the Cougar completely. Works just like the Warthog. Software support for the Cougar should be fine unless (or until) Microsoft changes the driver system again and the Cougar drivers no longer work in Windows. It's been, what, 20 years since the Cougar came out. I assume TM won't update the drivers for the Cougar again. But I may be wrong.

For the price, buy it unless you have the extra money to buy a Warthog instead. Even if you buy a Warthog or other stick in the future, you may find you like using the Cougar throttle for certain aircraft, for example. I like it better for WWII airplanes, but use my Warthog for the jet sims. To use the Cougar Throttle with the Warthog stick, you would still need to plug in the Cougar stick (because the Cougar throttle has to go through the stick - no separate USB devices like with the Warthog), but you can ignore the stick and just program the Cougar throttle. TARGET supports combining the Cougar and any other TARGET supported device as normal (e.g. the Warthog of T16000).

For reliability issues and how to fix them, read up on the suggested site: http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/index.php

That is where all the common issues were explained with solutions. Pots, the gimbal, and maybe one or two controls on the Cougar Throttle (the 3 way switches and one Pot) sometimes had common issues as explained at the flyfoxy site.

It may be possible to replace the gimbal eventually with an Uber II NXT like gimbal set. The Uber II NXT is no longer available, but (I forget his name) here on the forums has posted 3d printed parts on Shapeways which basically do the same, along with instructions to replace the pots with hall effect sensors. My Cougar gimbal has horrible slop and I plan to machine a new set of Uber II NXT like gimbals. The Cougar with that gimbal actually feels better than a Warthog stick in many ways. Better for helicopters for sure. Doesn't matter so much for jet sims.

So long story short, you won't really go wrong buying it for the $110 price, and even if it isn't perfect, you are still getting something you can work with to make it better for many years to come.

The other part subject to wear are the stick's Gimbals, I've had them broke on me once each (there is an X-axis and an Y-axis Gimbal).

Debolestis have Cougar gimbal* replacement, a 3D printed and using bearings, a kind of UberNXT "clone".

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195464&highlight=cougar+replacement+gimbal

Rel4y has "drop in" contactless sensor for replace Cougar pots.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=225733&highlight=cougar+replacement+gimbal

Both options can be considered an upgrade over Thrustmaster original parts.

Cougar buttons, HATS can be fixed micro-switches, e.g. OMRON, from eBay, Digikey, Mouser.

Of course, this "maintenance" require some DIY skill and tools.

* Is possible too reinforce Cougar original gimbal weak points preventively, but samples about now "is history".

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 11 months later...

Im not having any luck finding a "Potentiometer Antenna CTS 270XM8508" Can anyone make a recommendation regarding replacing? Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Im not having any luck finding a "Potentiometer Antenna CTS 270XM8508" Can anyone make a recommendation regarding replacing? Thanks

Contact Thrustmaster support https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/contact-en/ and ask for the spare part #6000197 .. maybe it is still available.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Oh,,, thank you sir,, I will report back if successful

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I did receive a response back from Thrustmaster, appears that these parts are still available thru them, despite all the reading i have done to the contrary? Anyway, below id the response:

We thank you for your choice of Thrustmaster products and for reaching us regarding your inquiry. The price for the parts that you are inquiring about is as following:

- antenna pot = 6 euro

- range pot = 6 euro.

- Speedbrake electronic switch = 6 euro.

The price for the spare parts is 9 euro, shipping fees included - standard shipping, from our main warehouse in Europe, where the parts are available.

If you want us to proceed with the order please reply to this email and provide us with the following details:

1. Your complete name.

2. Your full postal address.

3. A phone number where you can be reached.

We are looking forward to your answer.

To ensure the most efficient follow-up of your query, please answer directly to this email (do not open a new ticket).

Kind regards,

Your Thrustmaster Customer Support Agent, Octavian

http://support.thrustmaster.com

Once I receive rel4y’s parts to modernize mine I’ll have sensors and a pcb for the throttle that I’ll not need . I. Not sure if that’s what your looking for.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Im looking for the Antenna POT primarily, and the Speed Brake Switch, and then the Range POT.

In addition, Thrustmaster just sent me another "OOOPPPSSSS" notice, as follows:

We thank you for your reply and for providing us with the requested details.

We apologies for this inconvenience. There was a mistake that slip in our previous reply.

The part that you have initially mentioned - POT 270-XM8508 THROTT.FCT HOTAS = 6000197 - is no longer available in stock.

What we have in stock is a different on - see attachment as reference and PN.

We are looking forward to your answer.

To ensure the most efficient follow-up of your query, please answer directly to this email (do not open a new ticket).

Kind regards,

Your Thrustmaster Customer Support Agent, Octavian

http://support.thrustmaster.com

Follow up:

Thrustmaster sent me a notice that they made an error and that these parts are available. I just went through the process and submitted an order. We shall see how this turns out. Hopefully good? I thought the price was right, 33 Euros for 2 Antenna pots, 1 Range Pot and 1 Speed Brake Switch with shipping.

Please keep us up to date. If these parts are indeed still available and especially at that price, I'm sure the folks over at viperpits.org would love to hear about it. It's hard enough to source a linear potentiometer with a center detent, even harder to find one with a center detent and momentary push, and impossible to find one with a momentary push that has significant travel (as opposed to a tactile click where it moves less than 1mm).

• Like 1

I certainly will,I will wait until I get parts in hand, and confirm that they are actually the correct parts,,,

• 3 weeks later...

Parts received. I ordered (2) Antenna pots, so I would have a spare. the 1st one I installed did not work as it should, I installed the 2nd (spare) and it worked great! I will have to deal with them about that.

I also ordered a Speed Break switch. (T9 & T10). I have a question, and I dont recall, or can I find an answer online, or in the manual. The new switch has 3 positions. Center, moving one way is only momentary (does not lock in place), move the other and it stays in a fixed position (locks in place)?

Is that how the speed brake is supposed to work? I thought it was supposed to mechanically stay in any position you set it in?

Parts received. I ordered (2) Antenna pots, so I would have a spare.

OK, thanks for updating us on their availability :)

I also ordered a Speed Break switch. (T9 & T10). I have a question, and I dont recall, or can I find an answer online, or in the manual. The new switch has 3 positions. Center, moving one way is only momentary (does not lock in place), move the other and it stays in a fixed position (locks in place)?

Is that how the speed brake is supposed to work? I thought it was supposed to mechanically stay in any position you set it in?

No, it is correct .. The T-10 position locks in place, while the T9 does not .. On my Profiles I usually use the first one for the Speedbrake, as I can then tell visually if the speedbrake is extended or not. The other one I use for flaps Up/Down and Landing Gear.

best regards

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Its nice to know then that parts are still available.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23.09.2021 в 00:23, Dornil сказал:

I need this ANT pot too. Would appreciate any advice.

I just placed an order for replacement parts and asked for a list of available spare parts for cougar

This is what I've got:

Цитата

The list of spare parts still available for order :

- HOTAS BRAKE BLACK HIGHEND TQS6
- HOTAS SLIDER BLACK TQS19
- HOTAS PART32 CONNECTOR
- HOTAS COOLIE HAT F1616
- HOTAS COOLIE HAT F1618
- HOTAS COOLIE HAT F1619
- HOTAS COOLIE HAT F1620
- HOTAS COOLIE HAT TQS16
- BUTTON 02 GREY 430C POLISHED
- BUTTON 04 BLACK POLISHED
- BUTTON 05 BLACK POLISHED
- BUTTON 06 GREY430C POLISHED
- POV SHAFT BLACK
- BUTTON 04 GREY 430C POLISHED
- CTS HOLDER BLACK
- CLIP BLACK
- BEARING BLACK F16 22
- BUTTON 03 GREY 430C TQS 17
- BUTTON 03 GREY 430C TQS 18
- BUTTON 03 GREY 430C TQS 30
- STOP BLACK TQS 7
- CORNER BLACK TQS 25
- TQS ARM AXIS
- THROTTLE RIBBON CABLE
- THROTTLE CABLE
- HOTAS COUGAR BUTTON FREY ANTENNA TQS 15
- HOTAS COUGAR BUTTON 06 TQS 14
- HOTAS COUGAR S1/S3 BUTTON (GREY)
- HOTAS COUGAR S2 BUTTON (RED)
- POT 251B15F104B6NB THR.ARM HOTAS
- POT 270S1800 THROTT.FCT HOTAS
- SWITCH 3 WAY CK7103SYZBE00 HOTAS
- SWITCH 3 WAY CK7107SYZBE HOTAS
- TACT SWITCH FOR STICK HOTAS
- CABLE HOTAS
- HOTAS LOWER GIMBAL F16 07
- HOTAS TRIGGER SPRING F16 30
- HOTAS AXIS SPRING F16 31
- POTENTIOMETER HOTAS ANTENNA 270S2111

If any one of this spare parts interest you, please let us know and we will give you the prices.

As you can see there is a  POTENTIOMETER HOTAS ANTENNA 270S2111 which lists a new part number (old ant pot was Potentiometer Antenna CTS 270XM8508)

So you can ask them if it's a "new" direct replacement.

I tried contacting Thrustmaster. This is what I got:

Hello Igor,

Sorry, we have no further information for you.

Best regards, Nancy

------------------- Original Message -------------------

That’s unfortunate:(
Perhaps you can recommend some replacement close enough? Or at least tell me parameters of that potentiometer (e.g. nominal resistance, linear/logariphmic, etc.)?

Regards,
Igor
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Igor,

As it so happens, we no longer have stock for those potentiometers for awhile now.

So sorry.

Best regards, Nancy

------------------- Original Message -------------------

Dear Nancy,

As I wrote earlier, what I require is:
?email=dornil%40mail.ru&e=1633788816&fla Potentiometer Antenna CTS 270XM8508 potentiometer for Antenna axis.

I hope it is still available.

With best of regards,
Igor
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Igor,

Thank you for contacting Thrustmaster Tech Support

If you wish to purchase some Cougar Parts, please take a look at the website below and let us know the part numbers for the parts you need:

http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/warranty_parts.php

We will then look them up and see if we have any in stock.

For better efficiency in answering your email, please reply directly to this email; do not open a new ticket.

Best regards,

Nancy, your Thrustmaster agent.

06.10.2021 в 17:15, Dornil сказал:

I tried contacting Thrustmaster. This is what I got:

I got this from Thrustmaster support

hope this helps with prolonging the life of your Cougar.

“The antenna potentiometer is indeed available as a spare part (see attached picture). It is listed under the name "POTENTIOMETER HOTAS ANTENNA 270S2111", its full designation, and sold at a price of 6,00€ plus 3,31€ shipping.”

-

6BACE767-788C-4984-8B03-B49BE4A89881.jpeg

Edited by the_mihalich
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I can confirm, I asked TM support two days ago for the very same pot and now I got a response

1) The needed spare part - POTENTIOMETER HOTAS ANTENNA 270S2111    - (see picture attached) is available for a price of 6.00€ plus shipping costs for a dispatch from France.

- Standard shipping for 2.93€

However, we must note that the shipping costs may vary, depending on the number of items or the total weight. We can provide you the exact amount at the end of your order. 

If you have any questions about the shipping conditions or need additional spare parts, please do not hesitate to ask us. All prices are in EURO (€) and are including the VAT.

As soon as we have received your details, we will start your order process and then send you the information for the payment via PayPal. The prices in this offer can withstand changes at any time and are therefore not binding.

so the spare parts are still available.

greetings

latware

Edited by latware
grammar
  • Like 1

greetings

latware

(Intel Core i7-4790K;NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970;2xdisplay 1920x1080;Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar+pedals;TrackIR3 6DOF)