2dof Motion Reality Chair with DCS

=DECOY=

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stumbled across this thread as I'm just getting back into all things DCS during the holiday break. I currently have Oculus Rift & I've been pondering a motion platform for quite some time now.....and this looks like the perfect price point to do so without spending $3K - $4K (I was thinking of going with a V3 NLR platform) as the entry level price to do so!

A couple questions if you don't mind:

Does the platform come with side/center mounts for a HOTAS setup or is that a separate cost? Want to be able to use it for Elite Dangerous as well as DCS (Hog & Harrier).

How loud is it? I will be flying mainly at night or weekends when the rest of the family is asleep. This will be down the hallway from their bedrooms but curious to how loud this would be in a family home environment.

Will be mainly using for flight sims...so would it make sense to go for the H2 or H3? Wondering if the H3 would translate in the Harrier or E:D when hovering & rotating. Not sure that can be answered here but curious.

TIA for anything you can answer here! Hopefully I will be joining the motion platform family soon!

Just stumbled across this thread as I'm just getting back into all things DCS during the holiday break. I currently have Oculus Rift & I've been pondering a motion platform for quite some time now.....and this looks like the perfect price point to do so without spending $3K - $4K (I was thinking of going with a V3 NLR platform) as the entry level price to do so!

A couple questions if you don't mind:

Does the platform come with side/center mounts for a HOTAS setup or is that a separate cost? Want to be able to use it for Elite Dangerous as well as DCS (Hog & Harrier).

A- You have to purchase as an addition

How loud is it? I will be flying mainly at night or weekends when the rest of the family is asleep. This will be down the hallway from their bedrooms but curious to how loud this would be in a family home environment.

A- as long as you change the fan like I did it's quiet, I have 2 young kids and it never wakes them up:)

Will be mainly using for flight sims...so would it make sense to go for the H2 or H3? Wondering if the H3 would translate in the Harrier or E:D when hovering & rotating. Not sure that can be answered here but curious.

A- in my opinion is good for choppers so yer would be good for the Harrier, I will be purchasing the 3rd motor soon

TIA for anything you can answer here! Hopefully I will be joining the motion platform family soon!

Yo I have answered below your questions above :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

59thRaven, what does the 3rd motor do for you? More power? I'm thinking it's not for another degree of freedom. Thanks. Very interesting thread.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

59thRaven, what does the 3rd motor do for you? More power? I'm thinking it's not for another degree of freedom. Thanks. Very interesting thread.
First two motors are for pitch and roll. 3rd is for yaw or if using car Sims traction loss

Ah, of course. The title got me thinking about the 2DOF only. LOL. That would come in handy for rotaries too. Awesome...

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Looking at the same. Have just bought the speedmaster flight seat and was wondering if it could be mounted on that platform.
Message them with a link and they will happily tell if possible

I did consider the Russian DOF Reality product but rejected it due to....

1. It took up to much space

2. There were lots of cases of US customers receiving damaged goods.

3. Its hard to return it if there are problems

4. Its extremely noisy with provided fans.

5. I had concerns about the durability of the wiper motors.

6. When you add shipping and US customs it cost almost as much as the NLR unit.

7. Getting the software to do what you want reportedly took a lot of tweaking.

8. I had to buy my own chair that needed altering so it could be mounted on the motion platform.

The NLF is built by a Polish company who builds a large variety of motion platforms for business and industry worldwide. And it nicely integrates into the Next Level cockpits. DOF Reality is a glorified DIY product.

So it was not a product I felt was worth buying. YMMV.

Edited by lasvideo

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

The NLF is built by a Polish company who builds a large variety of motion platforms for business and industry worldwide. And it nicely integrates into the Next Level cockpits. DOF Reality is a glorified DIY product.

The motors are not wiper motors mate.

2 DOF - First Impressions

Bluethornton, any progress on this? First impressions?

Hi BigMillerTime

as a follow on to my first post:

Unpacking and construction of the frame proved relatively straightforward, the only critique was that the details of fixings for the motors was sparse and I resorted to looking at the photos of the DOFReality website, where all was made clear.

The original seat that I obtained was from a Toyota Corrolla and it did not fit because the runner rails had all sorts of brackets which would have required more metal working skills than I posses. I the visited my local car breakers and spent a happy hour crawling around in the cars looking for a seat which had flat runners. I managed to find 2 vehicles, an Audi TT and a BMW 1 series; I plumbed for the BMW as the seat had more adjustments. I had no problems in fitting this seat to the frame, although there was no guidance as to whether its exact position on the frame was important to balance or not?

The electrical connections and PC connections were all trouble free.

The software installation and downloads etc went well, although you do have to follow the instructions carefully, especially the patching bit. I also, being a typical bloke, never read the bit about running the simtools manager and Simtools Engine before you start DCS or link to the motors doesnt work - No bigy really.

The first test flight was an experience - I must point out that I fly with Rift and almost exclusively the Spitfire, with Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind. I started Ravens settings in Simtools and went straight into a free flight in Normandy. I found the whole motion violent and extremely sensitive and when I tried in the Huey; I almost did!! (No criticism of Raven at all).

I reset the Simtools settings to default and tried again, the experience was much less violent, I was very surprised at the level of movement you feel. I then spent many hours gradually tweaking the force (%) of the movement to reach a compromise between maximum movement sensation and vomit inducing throw around movement! This is very different for the A10c and Spitfire, which on reflection is obvious. I also found that careful adjustment of the joystick curvature helped to 'soften' the chairs reaction to the inputs. Interestingly over a few days my settings increased (%) to almost match Ravens settings; obviously just a case of getting used to the sensations.

I have over the last 2 weeks been just flying and trying takeoff, landings and Epsom Campaign and only in the Spitfire, the complete setup is a joy and very immersive, aside from the experience of motion sickness in the Huey on the first day, I have not felt sick, unless I am in a flat spin after hitting a tree!!

Now to be critical! The play in the motors i.e. free movement at the end of the motor arm which is approx 10mm on the right motor and 5mm on the left creates a clunky/jerky movement, felt mostly when using the pitch axis. The movement on the roll axis is smooth and is great in a full roll. The heave and surge also work well. I am investigating if there are settings/adjustments that can alleviate this jerky movement, it is holidays in Russia so I have not yet received a response from Igor. All of that being said the experience is very enjoyable and when my beer swilling friends tried it there were very big smiles all around!

Good purchase? Hell yes.

Value for Money? Yes.

2DOF sufficient? Yes - BBBBBBut, I will probably get the upgrade kit later.

In summary - Flying Huey makes me feel sick, the spit does not, nor the A10c. The combination of Rift and movement is truly euphoric, which for me has not diminished.

Regards

Neal

Edited by Bluethornton
poor english!

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

2 DOF chair - Bluethornton

Hi

please see attached photos of my 2DOF chair setup.

Neal

IMG_1647.JPG.d7fd941ad7a5bdafd12d95211fa817c5.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG.d5ae2405eab05387d851ff62b01ef66a.JPG

IMG_1649.JPG.aa6273d7ba68d8604f13775f24ed6107.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG.ef915692a1728a25b879612e36fdc47a.JPG

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

8. I had to buy my own chair that needed altering so it could be mounted on the motion platform.

What was your customs charge? I just order the H3 and am curious about the customs charge you mentioned.

Thanks

Danny

What was your customs charge? I just order the H3 and am curious about the customs charge you mentioned.

Thanks

Danny

Danny, I don't believe the gentlemen above purchased the unit. He appears to lean heavy on the side of the Next Level platform without experiencing both. He would not have the answer to your question.