[RESOLVED] Tomcat heading drift

Donut

Just a last question for you / Victory205 / SME:

After catapult launch, does a fast slave by the HDG push button on compass control panel is a standard procedure ?

I'm still wondering what's the real proper procedure after carrier take off and before carrier recovery ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

• 1 month later...
As I explained in the previous posts, it's highly improbable that what you experienced was due to the carrier's magnetic field.

You don't have to wait 10 minutes to correct the compass readings after a catapult launch. You can fast slave the compass heading using the HDG push button on the COMPASS panel: number 5 here http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#compass-control-panel

Press it with your LMB and hold until the SYNC indicator shows no deviation. It will work only when your wings are level, your speed is constant, and your vertical speed is zero.

Hey guys,

I also found out that I have a big offset when spawning on a carrier. Unforunetly my english isn't that good so I couldn't understand all of that very technical part a few posts earlier. So after a carrier departure is it right that I just have to fly level and push that HDG SYNCH button until the white line is in the middle? So no need to use the other compass mode?

I still have a ~6° offset from the F10 Map Course but I think that's a difference between magnetical north and true north (?).

Thanks in advance

greetings

Julian

Yes

But it decays quite fast.

Cobra, does this relate to aircraft as well?

Had some serious drift yesterday while flying in formation with a F-18, and we (RIO+me) weren't able to figure out the reason(s) for this drift. I was about 5-20 meters apart from the F-18 for about 15 minutes.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1