F-14 & rudder pedals

Hummingbird

So after watching the latest videos on the F-14 posted by MagzTV amongst others, I have come to the conclusion that the F-14 is going to be a bit more rudder dependant than I initially anticipated. Thus the all important question now becomes:

What are the best BANG for the BUCK pedals out there atm?, and preferably ones that don't take up too much space (the sole reason I haven't had pedals for a while now)

I'm sure the answers to this question will be most useful to a lot of upcoming cat drivers out there :)

if space is your main concern I would suggest the VKB pedals, they are very compact as pedals go. You won't have toe brakes, so you'd have to map a braking button on your HOTAS. However, the precision and feel is superb for the price and they will last for an eternity as the design is very simple and it's a quality product.

Edited by Manuel_108

I like my Thrustmaster TFRP.

Not expensive, precise and compact.

I have them, too and they are my first pedals.

I've used them for only some hours and so far they are satisfying to me:

I keep their rubber pads clean and they don't slip when I press/push the pedals,

they are precise and accurate,

they slide smoothly.

They are included in my FCS Flight Pack with throttle and stick. Mine are connected to the TWCS throttle via an RJ12 cable and the throttle is connected to the computer via USB, but I've seen an unboxing video in which they show an included RJ12→USB adapter for the pedals bought independently.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

MFG Crosswinds, if you look for bang for the bucks.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

+1 for Crosswinds and you also get great customer support:thumbup:

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

crosswinds...i cant speak for thrustmaster or other high end pedals...but only because i dont even think about purchasing them...the crosswinds are just awesome.

and yes, Milan has the best customer support i have ever experienced too!

i purchased the f-14 because...well its an f-14...i always liked the looks of it since i was a kid...

im not into jets and my usual business are the prop birds, but since i saw the videos that are popping up on youtube, i get more and more eager to actually really fly that bird, exactly for the reason of finally having a bird where rudder seems to make a difference.

at least from the looks of it, it seems that heatblur finally got rudder effects right. really looking forward to see whether my assumption is correct.

Edited by birdstrike

Best consumer grade pedals? Slaw RX Vipers

Best consumer value? MFG Crosswinds

Somewhere in the middle? Thrustmasters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I have a pair and like them. They aren't small though, so might not work for the OP.
There is an optional adjustment olate, that allows to put the pedals closer together.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Ah yeah, I mean the OP doesn't specify how big is too big - but even with those plates it'll still be a fair bit wider than a Cessna style set of pedals, that's all I'm saying.
I recommend to look at the adjustment

videos and stuff on the MFG homepage.

There is a spec sheet at the bottom, unfortunately only the standard wide measure is shown (49 cm something).

Should be around 40 can give or take, with the adjustment plates.

https://mfg.simundza.com/downloads

Shagrat

Depends on your budget. Crosswinds come at $300 USD. VKB about $250 USD. The Thrustmaster TPR is a ridiculous $700.

Because not everyone who sims is a retired pensioner I would also recommend the Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals. Cheapest on the market ($70 USD) and for the price you pay, they outclass everything else in the same range. 13.5" by 12" (LxW). Just be aware they are very narrow (which might help you space wise) so if you place your feet directly centered to each pedal you might end up crushing your balls every now and then. The workaround is simple though. Great option if you're on a budget, otherwise I haven't heard anything bad about crosswinds, albeit I can't comment on them personally.

Edited by Zohwboe

Those adjustment plates only take 50mm off the width.

Hmm, I had measured the width between the screwholes.

Seriously I'm just trying to help by pointing out they're quite wide, what's the matter with you?

What should be the matter??? I just linked to the spec sheet with the measurements and recommended he should take a look for himself to see if the MFG "fit"... and the spec sheet is a bit buried on the page. :dunno:

Shagrat

another +1 for the Crosswinds. I upgraded to them a couple years ago, after flying with the Saitek Combat Rudder pedals prior. Quite a step up. Solid, precise, and well built and supported.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I can vouch for the VKB pedals, got them for about $200 USD. I got them for Helos and they feel great for that, but work well for planes too of course. It's not too hard with Joystick Gremlin to set up a toe brake axis that you can use with a modifier in DCS. They are all metal, feel really well made and precise, and have fairly low resistance (but this can be changed with alternate springs). Also comes with a very small center detent that can be removed by changing cams.

I have everything on default and it has easy movement and a noticeable center bump that does not slow movement through it. Great product.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Also comes with a very small center detent that can be removed by changing cams.

I have everything on default and it has easy movement and a noticeable center bump that does not slow movement through it. Great product.

I have the Thrustmaster Elite pedals and had them longer than I care to think about, at the same time I got the TM. FLCS/TQS to make a set. Much later I got the TM. Cougar but the elite pedals are heavy with a strong detent, the springs in them are strong enough that you can push your chair back without moving the pedal.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Even for ~ $300, I'd say the Crosswinds are great bang for the buck. They have all the features needed and are made for eternity plus you'll have the support in case something goes south. Before that I had the Simpeds, but the simple ones without toe brakes, which was the reason for me to get new ones. This really is something worth saving up for as you don't buy new ones every 2 or 3 years.

The only con that I've noticed is that you can't step on one pedal after the other without the whole thing flipping over, but that can be solved either by putting on both feet at the same time or attaching them to a simple (wooden) baseplate with some rubber feet or any other contraption that prevents the whole thing from sliding around.

They are relatively wide though, but IMHO this is more comfortable as well. They're ~52cm / 20.5" with the pedal plates tilted to the sides.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I can vouch for the VKB pedals, got them for about $200 USD. I got them for Helos and they feel great for that, but work well for planes too of course. It's not too hard with Joystick Gremlin to set up a toe brake axis that you can use with a modifier in DCS. They are all metal, feel really well made and precise, and have fairly low resistance (but this can be changed with alternate springs). Also comes with a very small center detent that can be removed by changing cams.

Same here. Great pedals!

• 2 months later...

TPR Pendlum Rudder and F-14

Well I'm very pleased with the game accept I can not map my Thrustmaster TPR Pendulum Rudder System to the F-14. I have to use the coolie switch on my HOTAS WARTHOG for my rudder and brakes. Is there anyone out there with the same problem that maybe using the TPR Pendlum Rudder System. It's very disturbing to me that I have one of the most expensive rudder systems out there and I can't use it. Is there anyone that can help me? Thanks in advance.:joystick:

I was using the Thrustmaster ones they were great for the price, very compact too. I managed to find a pair of Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals so am now using them. They're very sturdy and precise too.

If you're in the UK and interested OP my T Flight are on ebay atm.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333113895964