Curves & Axis Tuning Thread - Share your Curves (work safe ones only plz)! - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #11
Schwarzfeld

I'm resting it on my thigh, center stick mount with the X56... I know its not the top notch stick but its not garbage either, with a reasonable dead zone and zero curve, there's simply no way I can even do so much as hold a set airspeed and maintain level flight by hand in the Tomcat. Just tapping it aft sends the VVI climbing, so... gotta have some kinda curve... I know I'm a twitchy dude and CFIs bitched about my inability to relax and all but damn
Schwarzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #12
funkyfranky

I always use a stepwise linear curves.
Click image for larger version

Name:	perfectCurve3.png
Views:	25
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	208912
Non-linear curves are difficult because of the derivative constantly changing. But having two linear parts helps to compensate for my shorter desktop stick/lever in the critical area of small deflections (assuming the aircraft response in DCS to be modeled correctly for a linear behaviour with a stick length corresponding to the RL one). In principle one could even derive the proper slope around the origin of the curve by the fraction of the RL aircraft and the available physical stick. That should give the best agreement for small elongations.
funkyfranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #13
=BJM=

So for those who use curves to decrease the sensitivity around center, how do you handle the increased sensitivity further away from center? What I experience is that when I am pulling hard, AoA at 15, just the slightest increase in aft stick pressure will max out the AoA and g load and I lose control.

In a real Tomcat, I would think in the scenario above, you would feel increased stick pressure, making it very difficult to rapidly add stick input and over-pull. I wish this could be simulated somehow. When I am pulling hard, I am paying more attention to my stick input and AoA then on anything outside of the aircraft. The amplified audio and visuals cues help, but nothing will prevent undesirable stick inputs other than extreme finesse and focus...which for me, has been a challenge.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
uri_ba

M2k needs no curves at all. It has FBW curves baked it. I assume that hornet has the same.

Personally I had to tune 10-15 curve for the Cat, to stop it being too tweachy in AAR or approach. But then again, my stick doesn't move anyways...

My pit building blog
uri_ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #15
Larkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
So for those who use curves to decrease the sensitivity around center, how do you handle the increased sensitivity further away from center? What I experience is that when I am pulling hard, AoA at 15, just the slightest increase in aft stick pressure will max out the AoA and g load and I lose control.

In a real Tomcat, I would think in the scenario above, you would feel increased stick pressure, making it very difficult to rapidly add stick input and over-pull. I wish this could be simulated somehow. When I am pulling hard, I am paying more attention to my stick input and AoA then on anything outside of the aircraft. The amplified audio and visuals cues help, but nothing will prevent undesirable stick inputs other than extreme finesse and focus...which for me, has been a challenge.
That is why j font use an axis on pitch. Its realy hard for me to fly with an controled high AoA with curved axis.
Larkis is offline   Reply With Quote