DCS FC3 Questions & Answers Thread

Milene

When you experience ground rush. In general you can work out any physical cue that you need.

When exactly should you do it? And thanks, didnt know that about the aoa

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The F-5 is flown by calculated speed indexer. Weird, I know :)

The West flies a certain landing AoA for a particular aircraft because that automatically puts you at the correct landing speed for that aircraft’s gross weight. The purpose of the flare is to reduce the last bit of your descent rate to lessen the strain of landing on the aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It's standard procedure which blends safety and expedience.

Come in at too shallow angle, you'll float (unless you come in at higher AoA. This is a minimum ground-run technique).

Come in at too steep an angle, you might crush your landing gear or otherwise, you'll still float by carrying too much speed (harder to time the flare and get to proper speed when coming down faster).

Some will deploy airbrakes while landing. It isn't appropriate for all aircraft - for example, F-15, Su-27 experience a huge downward push when this happens and it is generally unnecessary. You can deploy once wheels are on the ground.

What is the point of the certain AoA that is maintained on approach to landing if the pilot is going to end up flaring at the end? Why dont planes just come in at a shallower angle to begin with?

Also, when exactly should I flare when landing?

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
If an AIM-120 is fired in STT, will the enemy get a launch warning?

Yup. And then he'll get a 2nd warning from the missile itself as it goes active.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

A bit confused about some things regarding positional geometry. What is aspect? When AWACS gives you a BRAA, aspect means which way the target is facing (towards, perpendicular, or away from you).

But can't aspect also mean how many degrees the target is off of your nose regardless of their heading (45 left, 10 right etc)?

No. Target aspect always describes its attitude in respect to your aircraft. In BRAA calls it's either hot, cold or flanking. Ex. in F-15C HUD and VSD you can get more detailed one like 20L.

https://www.lotatc.com/documentation/braa.html

The position off your nose is desribed as true bearing to the target.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

So the 20L means hes 20 degrees to your left?

No, again - aspect means only how he looks from your viewpoint. 20L is very bad example - in fact non existent, forget it, sorry, my mistake.

F-15C examples: 5L - means you look up his tail but he's turned 50 degrees to the left. T - is pure tail chase. H - pure head on. 2R - tail chase, target turned 20 degrees to the right. 17L - almost head on, but you still "see" his left side because he's turned 170 degrees to the left. All of this no matter what position is the target relative to you, meaning he can be 9R but you can have him on your left side (ex. relative bearing 30 degrees to the left - 330).

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

No, again - aspect means only how he looks from your viewpoint. 20L is very bad example - in fact non existent, forget it, sorry, my mistake.

F-15C examples: 5L - means you look up his tail but he's turned 50 degrees to the left. T - is pure tail chase. H - pure head on. 2R - tail chase, target turned 20 degrees to the right. 17L - almost head on, but you still "see" his left side because he's turned 170 degrees to the left. All of this no matter what position is the target relative to you, meaning he can be 9R but you can have him on your left side (ex. relative bearing 30 degrees to the left - 330).

:no_sad::dunno: no worries I'll figure it out eventually like I did AoA when I was a beginner

ok so essentially, my heading minus the target heading is the aspect?

ok so essentially, my heading minus the target heading is the aspect?

No. Think of how aircraft looks like from your point of view. You see tail - cold aspect, see the nose pointing at you - hot, see the side of him - flanking.

Why calculating headings is wrong? Imagine two targets on your radar. One is 30 degrees to the left, the other is 30 degrees to the right. Both are heading 000 - same as you, but you will see the right side of the one which is left from you, and left side of the one which is right off your nose. Two different aspects while no difference in headings.

Besides of the F-15, will there be any other aircraft from FC3 that will reach a high fidelity level one day?

Hopefully all of them but atm no plans to do any. The closest we get is A-10C and future F15E.

What's the difference between IFR and VFR?

https://www.pea.com/blog/posts/vfr-ifr-mean/. Or is this not what you were asking?

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Will FC3 be still available in the shop, when MAC arrives? I already own the Hornet and MiG-21 so I do not want to get MAC, if its price will be higher than FC3. So maybe I should get FC3 now.

No point in waiting for the unknown. By all means get FC3 now if you want it. While on sale it's like a steal.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there an upgrade path from FC2 to FC3 (discount?) to fly in DCS 2.5 or do I need to purchase FC3?

There is no discount or upgrade for FC2 owners. You can wait for the next sale to get it cheaper.

Is beaming a threat mean putting it on your 3-9 line or on your 10/2 o'clock?

You fly a circle keeping it in 3/9 line.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I'm new to DCS, though once I played Flanker 2.5 a lot. I'm not a hardcore player, but sims always had a small corner in my heart.

Lately I have tried a few still availabe sims and when I came to DCS I immediately knew that "I'm at home"! I was a big gamer around 1998-2005 but now I have only a mid range system (AMD FX-8320, GTX 950, 16GB ddr3), so I decided to start with the still availabe DCS World 1.5. Flying around with the Su25, high specs, 1080p on a single monitor, 40-60 fps, for me it's enough and the game is still beautiful! I decided to buy Flaming Cliffs 3 for the basic planes, but I'm confused with version compatibility:

1, Can I buy FC3 and use all of the contents with 1.5.8? From the 1.5 main menu it is accesible.

2, I saw by the "MIG-29 for DCS World" got an update and now requires 2.5.3, but says this plane is included in FC3. Means this that MIG-29 is not accessible in 1.5 anymore even if I buy FC3?