Forrestal Development Update: Deck Crew WiP!

Cobra847

Yep, curious too. :music_whistling:

Wish from august 2016

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160308&highlight=ground+crew

:D

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3041560&postcount=15

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3305167&postcount=1061

Based on the comments above, it looks like we are due for pre-release or a very detailed update on the Tomcat and associated content any day now.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Based on the comments above, it looks like we are due for pre-release or a very detailed update on the Tomcat and associated content any day now.

Its worth mentioning that this estimate was made before the decision to redo all of the artwork. When Cobra visited the US and photo'ed a dozen Tomcats in detail, he decided to laser scan and use photogrammetry to achieve a dimensionally accurate cockpit (perfect in fact). The current placeholder (originally to be definitive) was created using purely photo references and that technique simply has limitations. Now with VR in the mix, 3D inaccuracies can be quite noticeable in a way that was not a factor before.

The new cockpit will be spectacular (and 3D external - also redone from external scans and now way more accurate), but the art team is fully dedicated to the F-14 itself to stay as close as possible to prior estimates. This also why you haven't seen any Forrestal class updates for a while.

Cobra plans on a "Road to Release" post in the next few weeks which will detail the current state of things and next steps.

FM and system modeling are coming along beautifully, as is Jester. The F-14B (followed by F-14A) will be a very high functioning and fairly complete module on release. It is already more complete than a lot of prior EA products in terms of capability and functionality.

-Nick

Yea as per link 2 he wrote road to release in the next week or two. That was 12 Days ago, so hopefully sometime this week!

Yea as per link 2 he wrote road to release in the next week or two. That was 12 Days ago, so hopefully sometime this week!

:thumbup:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I'm getting very good at the Aerosoft F-14 (on FSX, so added level of annoyance), so here's to hoping some of what I'm learning transfers over.

Yes, time in the AS F-14 will give you a head start, especially in terms of basic systems (interpreting displays, basic controls, etc). Also, the AS Block 90 F-14A gives you some idea as to handling, but the Heatblur version is so much deeper and more nuanced. For example, I haven't flown the AS one for at least 6 months, but I remember it wing-rocking any time above 20 units (or so) AOA. With the Heatblur FM, things like wing-rock are highly dependent on stores (like the AIM-54 pallets in particular) and whether or not you elicit the rock with sideslip. If the aircraft is clean and light, you don't see it much, but breaking into an opponent at 20K' after launching your AIM-54s - it'll probably be there if you build up too much AOA (again 20-25+ units). Same with the landing behavior, so much depth and subtle variation based on loads, control inputs, stores, etc. It is simply fascinating to fly! :thumbup:

I think the lack of news about the Forrestal carrier, ground crew and carrier operations will be Heatblur wait to ED carrier improvement and futntionality before put them into your units. Surely after the F/A-18C release.

Well, not really. The Heatblur CV-59-62 will gain functionality as ED adds features to the DCS carriers, but its more about the art-team being fully devoted to the F-14 artwork at this time.

-Nick

Yes, time in the AS F-14 will give you a head start, especially in terms of basic systems (interpreting displays, basic controls, etc). Also, the AS Block 90 F-14A gives you some idea as to handling, but the Heatblur version is so much deeper and more nuanced. For example, I haven't flown the AS one for at least 6 months, but I remember it wing-rocking any time above 20 units (or so) AOA. With the Heatblur FM, things like wing-rock are highly dependent on stores (like the AIM-54 pallets in particular) and whether or not you elicit the rock with sideslip. If the aircraft is clean and light, you don't see it much, but breaking into an opponent at 20K' after launching your AIM-54s - it'll probably be there if you build up too much AOA (again 20-25+ units). Same with the landing behavior, so much depth and subtle variation based on loads, control inputs, stores, etc. It is simply fascinating to fly! :thumbup:

Well, not really. The Heatblur CV-59-62 will gain functionality as ED adds features to the DCS carriers, but its more about the art-team being fully devoted to the F-14 artwork at this time.

-Nick

man, you are more worse(in a good way) then heatblur in regards of teasing! lol.gif

Okay, so I'm not wrong to think that the AS Tomcat feels like it's on rails when I fly it. It's 100% predictable at every weight, stores config, etc. I worry I get too complacent flying the jet, and the only thing I had happen to me that really kicked my butt was a compressor stall around angels 26 in the left engine when I accidentally throttled down too much and stopped paying attention to the sim.

Really, the only thing I'm not comfortable with in the AS Tomcat is the auto-throttle, which I can only seem to get to work correctly if I don't make any movements over what feels like a degree per second.

Its worth mentioning that this estimate was made before the decision to redo all of the artwork. When Cobra visited the US and photo'ed a dozen Tomcats in detail, he decided to laser scan and use photogrammetry to achieve a dimensionally accurate cockpit (perfect in fact). The current placeholder (originally to be definitive) was created using purely photo references and that technique simply has limitations. Now with VR in the mix, 3D inaccuracies can be quite noticeable in a way that was not a factor before.

The new cockpit will be spectacular (and 3D external - also redone from external scans and now way more accurate), but the art team is fully dedicated to the F-14 itself to stay as close as possible to prior estimates. This also why you haven't seen any Forrestal class updates for a while.

Cobra plans on a "Road to Release" post in the next few weeks which will detail the current state of things and next steps.

FM and system modeling are coming along beautifully, as is Jester. The F-14B (followed by F-14A) will be a very high functioning and fairly complete module on release. It is already more complete than a lot of prior EA products in terms of capability and functionality.

-Nick

Ah, we're quite a bit away from a release then, i'd guess. Oh well, DCS hiatus continues then, for what will be a boring holiday season :glare::P

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Ah, we're quite a bit away from a release then, i'd guess. Oh well, DCS hiatus continues then, for what will be a boring holiday season :glare::P

Same story here - on a brighter note, that 'other' WWII sim is releasing awesome stuff left right and centre at the moment. Spending a lot of time over the NW Caucasus area. :thumbup:

On that sim, it is the first time I literally almost crapped myself in VR as I was skimming along the coast low-level just off the beach in my Spit - and almost got taken out by a big swell rolling in... was awesome! lol. :joystick:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.. delete

Edited by Mking

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Heatblur it is time to push out the deckcrew. I am sure everybody takes it who took the F-18. You have gold in your hands. I hope there will be audio files in the deckcrew. Heads up for this one guys. I know you can do it. My expectations are high for this product. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Heatblur it is time to push out the deckcrew. I am sure everybody takes it who took the F-18. You have gold in your hands. I hope there will be audio files in the deckcrew. Heads up for this one guys. I know you can do it. My expectations are high for this product. :D

What sort of audio files? The only communications relevant to the F-14 pilot is through hand signals. Anything audible is, therefore, unnecessary.

THat's why it should not that complex to implement. Bridge to crew.

In a mission i made, i use real military chatter or speak in audio files myself. The immersion this give to the player is stunning in situations.

Graphics are powerfull, but fine audio gives a superburst to the player. :D

Edited by boedha68

• 3 months later...

Hope that the boys on the deck on release! :D

• 1 month later...

Maybe i overlooked. I saw no deckcrew? Can anyone confirm?

Maybe i overlooked. I saw no deckcrew? Can anyone confirm?

There was no new carrier groups shown in the trailer. Also, they've already mentioned since ED is working on deck crew, they will put their's on hold until ED has completed their's in order to not duplicate work.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

There was no new carrier groups shown in the trailer. Also, they've already mentioned since ED is working on deck crew, they will put their's on hold until ED has completed their's in order to not duplicate work.

Great looking stuff!

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR