Does Starforce periodicly need to 'phone home'

cichlidfan

Simple question.

Once I have activated a module that is currently using Starforce, under what circumstances would I be required to reconnect to the internet to maintain the validity of that activation?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Upon subsequent activation (for whatever reason, be it authentication, hardware change, etc etc):

3e9NGNq.jpg

There's even a support-chat-lassie you can speak to on the Starforce website :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

So assuming that nothing has been changed in either the hardware or DCS software, then no internet connection is required to maintain the activation.

Thanks Viper but I would still like to hear what Coff has to say on the subject just for the purposes of having this confirmed by a knowledgeable ED employee.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

+1 it would be nice if an offical ED staff member would confirm this please

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

+1

Especially since this argument (eg. "Even Starforce requires a phone home from time to time.") was used to defend the new in my eyes very problematic drm schema.

Since I haven't played DCS for over 1,5 years (according to the modified date of my dcs.log = April 2016) I made the following test: I disconnected from the internet and started DCS. I was able to use all my bought modules without problems. So it seems that StarForce in DCS doesn't use the "periodic license confirmation" (phoning home from time to time). But to be sure I also want confirmation or negation from ED about that.

• Like 1

+1

Especially since this argument (eg. "Even Starforce requires a phone home from time to time.") was used to defend the new in my eyes very problematic drm schema.

Since I haven't played DCS for over 1,5 years (according to the modified date of my dcs.log = April 2016) I made the following test: I disconnected from the internet and started DCS. I was able to use all my bought modules without problems. So it seems that StarForce in DCS doesn't use the "periodic license confirmation" (phoning home from time to time). But to be sure I also want confirmation or negation from ED about that.

Thanks for reporting your test results. Over the last seven years I have drifted away and back and never had an indication that my installation phoned home before being able to use it.

+1

I too have been for months without connectivity and still had Single Player work flawlessly using the modules I have. I have never kept track of exactly how long because, it has never presented a problem.

I do know that when I got updates, some of the modules had a new Protect.x64, Protect.dll and Protect.exe. I assume they "Phoned Home" when first launching the updated version of DCSW/Modules. But, I had connectivity to do the update at that moment.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

+1

This was stated by the moderators, not ED staff.

From what I can tell the only time when the Starforce is doing something is when major game updates happen or HW in PC changes. That is my experience.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

How do you think Starforce Pro-Active DRM Console determines that a key has been blacklisted by Starforce?

Starforce Console Checks License Key Status, along w/ other Parameters Like Machine Code against Code stored on Server, if it's been Suspended, BlackListed, etc

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

How do you think Starforce Pro-Active DRM Console determines that a key has been blacklisted by Starforce?

Starforce Console Checks License Key Status, along w/ other Parameters Like Machine Code against Code stored on Server, if it's been Suspended, BlackListed, etc

Maybe StarForce checks the keys only when a module is activated.

At least (according to my test) SF didn't lock the module if it can't reach the server (e.g. no internet connection).

Skates is likely correct. The significant point is that Starforce does not shut down the use of the product when the server cannot be reached, for any reason.

However, I will agree that this limits it's effectiveness since someone who knowingly has a 'blacklisted' key can just remain offline when running the sim and avoid the possibility of being cut off.

However, I will agree that this limits it's effectiveness since someone who knowingly has a 'blacklisted' key can just remain offline when running the sim and avoid the possibility of being cut off.

Yeah, but he can't update the game and given the frequent updates to the game, it doesn't seem like a relevant problem.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yeah, but he can't update the game and given the frequent updates to the game, it doesn't seem like a relevant problem.

I have to agree with this point, the bugs would never be fixed and he

would be stuck with them (the pirate bloke I mean)

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests