Anton worth grabbing compared to other WW2 modules?

Greetings everyone!

What are you all thinking of the A-8?

Is it worth getting or is the D-9 really much better?

I like WW2 modules and there aren't enough of them! But, the Anton has quite a bit less engine power than the D-9. How is it for control feel and maneuverability? Is it a real dog compared to the D-9?

It's be available to try for free soon, and I'm wondering if I should get it, especially since the Eurofighter Typhoon is probably gonna be a really long wait :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Performance-wise, it is a dog. A dog, which ate a brick for breakfast. In turns and any climbing maneuvers it just throws speed and energy out of the window - kinda like Dora, but Dora still pulls out of these with its insane power. Anton cannot. The fact that we have a variant cleared for up to 1.42 ATA of boost only doesn't help either, plus, some guys report it might be slower than it should be according to some charts.

Still, the 3D model is way more accurate than that of Dora, both inside and outside, texture work is superb (though some guys don't like cockpit textures) and it has its own set of interesting handling quirks to make it feel different from Dora. Not being a fan of German birds myself, I waited for a promo sale to get it and I use it for sightseeing flights rather than combat, so performance details don't bother me. I love it in that role, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yes, the A8 is dead meat in Air to Air and all requests to add a historical feature that improves it remain unanswered. So, if you want look at nice textures and serve as breakfast for Spitfires, go get the Anton. :)

If you read the marketing text in the shop that says "The Spitfire LF Mk.IX and the Fw 190 A-8 make excellent counterparts for DCS World." Dont believe it as it as a straightforward lie.

If you think all the different ground attack weapons for the Anton are nice to play with, dont believe that either, because they are implemented to be exactly the same.

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

I really dig the Anton but my main gripe right now is that you almost cannot do anything with it. There are next to no single player missions, no campaign and all the other fighters eat you for breakfast. I don't really know how you would go about developing missions for it either because the allied AI fighter planes we have in the sim right now simply murder you.

So fantastic plane, cockpit and flight model and really fun to fly but it's supposed to be a fighter and in that role it's not usable right now.

Ive been enjoying the Anton since I bought it last week. It’s slower than the Dora, but still has a mighty roll rate and good high speed handling. And lots of firepower. But the best thing about it might be the sounds and the look of such a beautiful aircraft :)

And don’t listen to those saying the AI is unbeatable. I’ve been having very fun fights and find that good bfm and energy management can certainly beat any AI warbird.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Absolutely. It sounds good, and unlike the Dora, it ain't fugly. A8 sports the iconic 190 look. It's a German P-47. Excellent A2G, and very tough

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Well, the anton is very capable against a spitfire.. A p51 is a different story.

Interesting. I dont see how, tho, since basically every important benchmark for dogfighting is inferior.

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Well, the anton is very capable against a spitfire.. A p51 is a different story.

In SP I can sometimes beat a P-51 AI, but never a Spit AI. In MP any fighter except the I-16 beats me. However she is phantastic in ground attack and in general handling. I love the Anton. But if A/A is the priority then my preference is for the Bf-109. Note: I cannot spot bandits 3 nm away without labels ON, therefore my ability to surprise the bandit or use energy fighting tactics is very limited.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Horizontal scissors is the technique you use to escape pursuers.

AKA Venturi

"You can tell a bomber pilot by the spread across his rear, and by the ring around his eye, you can tell a bombadier; You can tell a navigator by his maps and charts and such, and you can tell a fighter pilot - but you can't tell him much!" -523 TFS Fighter Pilots Song Book

Just tried the Anton out for free, and it certainly is a cool module. Very nicely done, as ED modules usually are :) I've been able to bring down some P-51s with it, but Spits are hopeless, as they usually are--no hope in Hades of turning with 'em :)

It's got gobs of firepower, but is pretty underpowered for air-to-air. Didn't the real Anton have MW50 injection and 2,300 HP or something like that? Or am I wrong? It would have been a real killer with that.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

It's got gobs of firepower, but is pretty underpowered for air-to-air. Didn't the real Anton have MW50 injection and 2,300 HP or something like that? Or am I wrong? It would have been a real killer with that.

AD

Fw190-A8 had no MW-50 injection.

A8 used C3 Fuel injection and increased ATA to 1.65-1.68 don't remember exactly, Iirc bmw801 is developing 1700hp at 1.42 ata so at 1.68 it will get just about 1900hp.

Or Increased boost to 1.58/1.65 ATA for Low and High blower w/o any additional injection.

There was a GM-1 injection but i don't think that any A-8 used that.

(Ab Juli 1944 werden sämtliche Flugzeuge der Baureihe Fw 190 A-8 mit "erhöhter Notleistung" ausgerüstet. Durch Eingriff in den Ladedruckregler wird der Ladedruck der Start- und Notleistung im Bodenladerbetrieb von 1,42 ata auf 1,58 ata, im Höhenladerbetrieb von 1,42 ata auf 1,65 ata heraufgesetzt. Hierdurch wird ein Geschwindigkeitsgewinn bis 22 km/h bei Bodenladerbetrieb und bis zu 25 km/h im Höhenladerbetrieb erzielt.; (sich Flugleistungen Bl. 15). Die höchstzulässige Betriebsdauer für erhöhte Notleistung ist aus thermischen Gründen 10 Minuten begrenzt.)

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 4 weeks later...
In SP I can sometimes beat a P-51 AI, but never a Spit AI. In MP any fighter except the I-16 beats me. However she is phantastic in ground attack and in general handling. I love the Anton. But if A/A is the priority then my preference is for the Bf-109. Note: I cannot spot bandits 3 nm away without labels ON, therefore my ability to surprise the bandit or use energy fighting tactics is very limited.

And therein lie the differences. The A8 is a boom n zoom fighter, Spit is a turn fighter. The P-51 is a high-altitude fighter (for protecting B-17s). The Dora was developed to take down B-17s, so better suited for high-altitude fights with P-51s. You generally don’t choose a BNZ or high-altitude fighters against turn fighters like the Spit, or the A8 lower altitude against the high-altitude ones. Choose the Bf109 K-4. To fight Spits, the Dora against Mustangs at high altitude, and the A8 for A2G. You wouldn’t choose an A-10 to go against a MiG-29 would you?

Never bring a knife to a gunfight, but you can bring a gun to a knife fight.

Edited by Balzarog
  • Thanks 1

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Just tried the Anton out for free, and it certainly is a cool module. Very nicely done, as ED modules usually are :) I've been able to bring down some P-51s with it, but Spits are hopeless, as they usually are--no hope in Hades of turning with 'em :)

AD

Just killed one A.I. P-51, damaged one A.I.Spitfire (bastard survived and killed me) xD

Gotta say Antons Cockpit is the most beautiful one :) I love it.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

u can kill any plane with the anton but u need to put yourself in a favorable position or u will fail and most likely die.

i also wish we had the C3 injection available.

one of my favorites as for now, very well made by ed!

i also wish we had the C3 injection available.

I would like increased power ratings, 1.58/1.65 ATA :)

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I would like increased power ratings, 1.58/1.65 ATA :)

Yeah me too! Hopefully ED will realise that the C3 injection is an integral part of the plane and it will get added sooner than later.

Edited by Brigg

Yeah me too! Hopefully ED will realise that the C3 injection is an integral part of the plane and it will get added sooner than later.

Keep in mind that the A8 is “Early Access.” I suspect that ED developed the Yak primarily as a test bed for the radial engine. All of the engines up to the Yak are “V,” or “inline” (I think the Bf109 is inverted inline). The possible progression of test bed engines as I see it, is probably Yak, A8, P-47, then possibly, I hope, F4-U Corsair. The M50 system was probably more complicated in a twin-bank, 28 cylinder radial engine than in a “V” or “Inline” engine that already exist in DCS. If I’m not mistaken, the P-47 uses basically the same engine as the F4-U, although they probably had different engine model specifications, one for the USN, and one for the USAAC. Separate engine specs for USAF, USN, and even US Army, when it comes to helicopter engines, is the rule, rather than the exception. I worked for a major aircraft engine manufacturer a few decades ago as a Detailed Design Specification Analyst. We had an issue on one family of engines that were used on a USAF fighter and a USN fighter. The engines on the Air Force were experiencing corrosion, but the Navy engines weren’t. The Navy Model Specification specified protection against salt-water corrosion, but the Air Force took it out of their Model Spec because their fighters aren’t used on carriers. It turns out that the Air Force engines corroded because the airbase was next to the ocean with prevailing winds blowing from the ocean to the base, carrying the salt-water spray into the engines. So much Air Force for cost cutting! I apologize if I derailed the thread. My intention was to show that different Services have different requirements.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

^ Just for the record, the A-8 has been officially out of Early Access since March 20th. Although it doesn't change much as far as airplane systems and features are concerned.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Keep in mind that the A8 is “Early Access.” I suspect that ED developed the Yak primarily as a test bed for the radial engine. All of the engines up to the Yak are “V,” or “inline” (I think the Bf109 is inverted inline). The possible progression of test bed engines as I see it, is probably Yak, A8, P-47, then possibly, I hope, F4-U Corsair. The M50 system was probably more complicated in a twin-bank, 28 cylinder radial engine than in a “V” or “Inline” engine that already exist in DCS. If I’m not mistaken, the P-47 uses basically the same engine as the F4-U, although they probably had different engine model specifications, one for the USN, and one for the USAAC. Separate engine specs for USAF, USN, and even US Army, when it comes to helicopter engines, is the rule, rather than the exception. I worked for a major aircraft engine manufacturer a few decades ago as a Detailed Design Specification Analyst. We had an issue on one family of engines that were used on a USAF fighter and a USN fighter. The engines on the Air Force were experiencing corrosion, but the Navy engines weren’t. The Navy Model Specification specified protection against salt-water corrosion, but the Air Force took it out of their Model Spec because their fighters aren’t used on carriers. It turns out that the Air Force engines corroded because the airbase was next to the ocean with prevailing winds blowing from the ocean to the base, carrying the salt-water spray into the engines. So much Air Force for cost cutting! I apologize if I derailed the thread. My intention was to show that different Services have different requirements.

P-47 uses standard r-2800 engine, but they attached turbocharger to it.

So in P-47 we have turbocharger then supercharger then engine, ther is inter-cooler after turbocharger aswell

Edited by grafspee

Greetings everyone!

What are you all thinking of the A-8?

Is it worth getting or is the D-9 really much better?

I like WW2 modules and there aren't enough of them! But, the Anton has quite a bit less engine power than the D-9. How is it for control feel and maneuverability? Is it a real dog compared to the D-9?

It's be available to try for free soon, and I'm wondering if I should get it, especially since the Eurofighter Typhoon is probably gonna be a really long wait :)

AD

Tried/Trialed them - both. Thought the A-8 needed more polish. D-8 was too much of a chore though it's is more mature module then the A-8.

After trial flying those 2 went back to the P-51D I own..The Pony is my plane. More fun to fly for me.:D