The Anton rocks, plain and simple.

msalama

I had the opportunity to test it thanks to the free trial programme.

When I first bought the P-51D years ago, I was so impressed with the quality of the cockpit and the exterior model, which was my first contact. Then with the flight model of course. The sound was good, except the engine, but it already had the whistle under G forces when the air is rushed through the air scoop.

I'm impressed again with this module, the high resolution textures, the sound - even the engine's, the handling gives an increased feeling of realism - hard to explain exactly why, less distraction from the immersion I suppose.

Perhaps the sound is especially important (at least for me). For example, now that the Spitfire has a great set of engine sounds, it's much more enjoyable too.

And that'll be amplified even more with the damage model, I'm sure.

Well done!

Whistle comes, from inboard gun ports, not the air scoop. Ask any P-51 pilot.

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Whistle comes, from inboard gun ports, not the air scoop. Ask any P-51 pilot.

Let's not discuss that here. You can choose to believe what you want, that wasn't the point of my post.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Numbers don’t determine who wins in air combat as much as the pilot. The Anton is loads of fun and has one clear advantage, roll rate, which a good pilot take advantage of by forcing scissor situations and bring able to jink out of plane and force overshoots well. It is also very responsive at high speeds like dives, which is great for more realistic bounce tactics that don’t really happen in DCS. And it takes lots of punishment. I’m happy we have the Anton and it’s a very fun bird when flown to it’s strength.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Where did much of the weight increase come from in the A-8 versus the older A-3 thru 5?

I have read the history of the FW-190 not so long ago and my guess is tha a part of it might come from the different armaments.

The A8 had 4xMG151 on the wings while the older models from A3 mostly used only 2XMG151 and 2xMGFF(lot lighter than the MG151) and for example the A3 used MG17 what was also lighter than the MG131 used on the A8. I think some model had smaller internal fuel capacity .

The A8 also carried more bigger caliber ammunition obviously so it also adds to its flight weight.

Some additional weight must come from somewhere else reading the original data sheets and comparing the weights between different models so I would guess that these extra weights might come from additional armor protection .

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Fairly old thread I know but still wanted to add some thoughts, and info perhaps even though I don't have my books in front of me.

The Fw190 has long been by favorite WW2 to fly, used to fly the A5, A8 and D9 almost exclusively in the early 2000's in the online game Aces High. Of course, that is more of a game than a sim so let's not compare it to DCS.

However, by being my favorite plane I did a lot of research in to it and most of the common versions all the way up to the Ta152 (would be awesome to have that in DCS).

The Fw 190A version that was first superior to the Spitfire in most ways was the early A's and when compared to the Spitfire Mk V which was the latest Spitfire version when the Fw190A entered service. The Spitfire Mk IX was as mentioned before a rushed stop gap before the Mark VIII could be completed though the Mark IX proved to be good enough and on par with the Fw190A to remain in production and become the most produced variant, including sub variants with clipped wings etc.

From the A6 and onward (if I remember correct) the weight started creeping up some what as they more and more modified the A version to handle American heavy bombers, the weight increase was in the form of heavier armament and in some cases armor although the A5 for example was already well armored.

The A8 was more or less a version designed to destroy the bombers, it wasn't meant to be a fighter interceptor in the same way as a 109 or Spitfire for example. Heavier armor and guns meant the already quite heavy wing load/per square meter was even heavier.

The Fw190, even its early versions, was never able to turn with Spitfires or 109's for example. From the report of the captured Fw190A3 the only advantage the Spitfire Mk V had over the Fw190 was turn radius but with the advantages of early Fw 190A even that wasn't much of an advantage as the Fw190 could simply make a few quick rolls and then dive away or extend in level flight. With the Spitfire Mk IX the speeds of the planes were much closer, the turn rate of the Spitfire remained superior while the roll rate of the Fw190 remained superior.

The Fw190A8 in DCS feels very much like I always thought it would feel like and this very much goes for the Dora as well.

I think it's important to understand how much ahead of its time the Fw190 was in many ways and this means fighting with it, and against it, in different more modern ways. It is in every sense of the way a pure energy fighter. Speed is life and height is might. That goes for the Dora as much as the Anton.

Looking at some of the awesome "ahead of its time" stuff when you compare it to other planes of its time is how easy it was meant to be to handle as well as other ergonomic features.

The fact that you need to handle the throttle and nothing else such as RPM, supercharger stages etc meant is was easy and almost trouble free to handle. This took a lot of load of from the pilots and is something that is modeled well in DCS unlike games where all planes are easy to engine manage. Getting in to a 190 and starting it up feels modern, easy, slick and well thought out. Compare that to a P51 or P47 for example.

Also, the seat position of the 190 was "feet high" which resulted in better G tolerance for the pilot. Not sure if this is modeled though. 

The Fw 190A8 in DCS is and isn't a great match for the Spitfire or the P51 or P47. These planes all outperform the A8 in most ways apart from roll rate. The A8's biggest advantage is heavy armament, quick roll rate and a superb initial turn rate IF you have the energy for it. After one or two turns though this energy is gone which means the A8 is in some big trouble. Scissors work great in many ways, especially if you have altitude and the ability to make a few quick rolls and get away. Down on the deck though the options are limited to none existent against a pilot who knows even a little bit about what he is doing. Trying to scissor against a Spit at the deck with no alt or energy is doomed to fail as the Spit just needs to climb a little, slow down and stay above at stall speed if nothing else. That of course leaves the Spit vulnerable to other attacks. Much the same goes for the P51 or P47 actually.

The P51 and P47 turns worse than the Spit though they are quite a bit faster. Especially the P47 seems to be very fast at the deck (and other altitudes) with water methanol injection. The benefit of the A8 is that it can run full throttle pretty much all the time.

The A8 and in many ways the Dora are no planes to challenge the current allied fighters one on one. This doesn't mean they are worse planes per say but it means they are planes that need to be flown more "modern" as they are energy fighters rather than turn fighters with roots in the dogfights of WW I. They need to be kept fast and preferably in a team. This can of course be said for all fighters but somehow it seems to benefit the Fw 190's in a much higher degree.

Being caught low and slow in an A8 is doom, there is no way out of it and there shouldn't be really.

Fly the A8 with a wingman or two and your options open up considerably. Heavy guns and the ability to take serious hits and keep going and fighting is a huge benefit, especially in an environment where quick kills can save you.

I had a great flight the other day with another pilot I had never met. I have just recently starting getting in to the warbirds of DCS and have a lot to learn hear, especially gunnery as most of the ACM I knew back 20 years ago is still valid in DCS though gunnery is much harder. We were both in A8's on the storm of war server, low clouds meant we stayed bellow 500m altitude all the time and despite taking flack damage, and being up against both Spits and P47's, we came out on top. Good communication, heavy guns and the fact that both knew to fly the A8 without getting in to turnfights meant we could keep our energy high even down low and work at clearing each other sixes.

A flight prior to that I got caught low and slow in the A8 and got jumped by two Spits. My own fault, nothing do. After taking an amazing amount of hits and with a burning engine/fuel tank I ditched the plane in front of them both and deprived them of a pure kill. Pilot survived. Good enough considering.

I think the Fw190's are just about a completely different type of fighting most people have a hard time getting used to. Simple fact is you can't get in to prolonged turn fights. You learn how to aim (my biggest issue in DCS warbirds, need more time in them in order to get it right). You use energy and you get quick kills in high speed passes.

/Wilbuz

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2